PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Then the replaceable sticks are and extra chargeable accessory.. so another £20.. So yes £230. Wow.

Not only that I bet it still uses those crappy ALPS sticks as in the standard PS5 controller... you know the ones that seem to develop stick drift after a while and have a rated 500 hour lifespan. Hopefully they have not used these and used some other tech perhaps. Await the teardowns and see what the mods are internally if any.

EDIT: My bad just watched the vid.. you can replace the complete sticks which is a good idea especially at the price! :)

1 hour ago, Majora said:

And I thought the Xbox Elite controller was pricey. Fuck me.

Makes it look like a bargain TBH. 

However fair play to Sony as otherwise the scalpers would only pick them up and sell them on for an inflated price so they may as well make a bigger cut.

On 06/10/2022 at 21:28, MattyP said:

Or just stop playing for a bit and do something else and come back to it later. Something will always drag you back in.

LOL I've only been playing very occasionally for a while now, probably around 8 years.  I even went back to GTA 5 on the PS3 a few months ago and the save game said "last played November 2013".

Have a look at some indie titles maybe? Sub to PS+ Premium for a month and have a look through that and see anything reignites interest.

Interesting.   Maybe that's the way to go, and if I like a game I buy it.

Edit: Oh and GT7 is definitely an improvement over what has gone before especially with the dual sense controller! The weather etc adds a lot to the racing. As for crash damage why would you need that? You shouldn't be crashing ;) Still a bit grindy though and has licenses etc so it's GT. Oh it does have music rally which is interesting :D

LOL I just remember switching to Need For Speed and I had so much fun.

I keep my PS5 in rest mode and have the options on that allows it to download files and updates whilst in said test mode. It’s stopped downloading said files whilst in test mode now.

The only thing I can think of is that I’m using it a lot more at the moment (for Overwatch) so maybe the PS5 only checks once a day or something?

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I keep my PS5 in rest mode and have the options on that allows it to download files and updates whilst in said test mode. It’s stopped downloading said files whilst in test mode now.

The only thing I can think of is that I’m using it a lot more at the moment (for Overwatch) so maybe the PS5 only checks once a day or something?

Thats mainly a Sony thing, did it on PS4 and still does it on PS5 - they like to carry over some compatibility after all… however, it does tend to only update active games in rest mode so if you dont play the installed games much it wont auto update them. Mine is a GT7 machine and it keeps that up to date 75% of the time, a minor improvement on the PS4 no less!

Updates, including for GT7, pop for me as soon as I turn the PS5 on. I tend not to use rest mode though, only occasionally to finish an update. One thing I have noticed is the TPLink power line adapters I have (pretty old ones) don’t work with rest mode, PS5 needs to be on Wi-Fi. Not sure if that’s standard with PS5 and Ethernet or whether it’s the adapters.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Must be something to do with the TPLink adapters then, they seem to work for a bit but often I’d find the download had stopped after a bit in rest mode.

They will go into sleep mode to conserve power, I gave up on them a few years back for similar reasons (have a box of them id forgotten about until you mentioned them). If there is any way you can its worth hard wiring the house for the important stuff… consoles & tv ;) 

39 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

If there is any way you can its worth hard wiring the house for the important stuff… consoles & tv ;) 

That would be good but a bit of hassle 😀. Other than having to reboot them every now and again they seem to work ok with Sky Q etc. so it’s not too much of an issue. They’re slower than my wi-if but fast enough for 4K streaming/download and avoids clashes with SONOS.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Foxworth said:

If anyone is looking for a ps5 for a standard price. Check your local Argos store. I've just snagged a gow bundle from my local for £539. Did the same with the switch on release day.

I forgot about the price rise…

10 hours ago, Foxworth said:

If anyone is looking for a ps5 for a standard price. Check your local Argos store. I've just snagged a gow bundle from my local for £539. Did the same with the switch on release day.

I ordered one from ShopTo on Monday and it arrived today! 😀

Now hidden under a pile of clothes in the wardrobe until Christmas. 😕

The only consoles I can find are bundles, the PS5 got an unofficial price increase before the official increase because it's incredibly hard to find a console on its own at £479 for sale. Sony obviously want to sell them in bundles instead.

Plus, it's a download code meaning you can't even sell the game on after playing it, when I got my RDR 2 PS4 pro it came with a physical game.