PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

I have just picked up God of War Ragnarok on digital. Prior to this I played an hour or two on a friends disc copy.

Will my save file be compatible, which was done using the disc version, be compatible with the ‘new’ digital version?

I presume I’ll have to reinstall the actual game but I’d like to keep progress.

(put this in ask the forum but might be better here?)

Yes, the only exception to this is if the disc version and the digital version are a different region (this affects Fallout 4 in the UK, where the version on the store is the pan-EU version and the physical UK version is a UK-specific version so the saves don't work together).

Not booted my PS5 for a while and it looks like an update has kind of ruined the splash screens for some of the games? Before you got a nice big piece of art, music and a play button. Now some of games have had all that removed and in its place is just a big prompt for activities covering the screen. Have no use for activities and it's kind of ruined the minimalistic, slick look of the OS (though only for some games I notice, others are as they were before for some reason)

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Not booted my PS5 for a while and it looks like an update has kind of ruined the splash screens for some of the games? Before you got a nice big piece of art, music and a play button. Now some of games have had all that removed and in its place is just a big prompt for activities covering the screen. Have no use for activities and it's kind of ruined the minimalistic, slick look of the OS (though only for some games I notice, others are as they were before for some reason)

Hadn’t really noticed the changes but the activities are really useful for PS5 games, often a bit like a quick resume.

3 hours ago, Majora said:

Not booted my PS5 for a while and it looks like an update has kind of ruined the splash screens for some of the games?

Yeah, when you highlight an icon some games now seem to have the artwork of an activity as the background, and some even use the latest news article.

For Hitman 3 a few weeks back it was a fullscreen image of one of the dev's faces.

7 hours ago, partious said:

Also I’m mainly a PC gamer and I know PC gamers get defensive about this, but sorry, PC gaming is still a level of effort and farting about setting stuff up that you don’t have with consoles.

+1 for this comment it's the reason I have not been back to PC gaming for a long while. Consoles are far easier for gaming.

5 hours ago, gospvg said:

+1 for this comment it's the reason I have not been back to PC gaming for a long while. Consoles are far easier for gaming.

I do know what you are saying. I game 90% on PC these days as I always want to be able to run the latest games at the best they can be if they are multiplatform. The simplicity of consoles is definitely one of their strong points. The fact that you can play a game knowing you cannot really make it any better (or worse) from messing with settings can be a good thing, although you may be thinking you could be playing it at higher res, higher framerate and better graphically if you played it on PC (hardware permitting)

I suppose with the latest consoles you can tinker a bit now with framerates and graphic options.

Three days into God of War: Ragnarok and my PS5 has died on me. One beep and then nothing. None of the suggested recovery methods work and Sony wants £240 (plus VAT, they say) to repair it. And they’ve just sent me an invite to buy a PSVR2. Well fuck that then. 

1 hour ago, superfunk said:

Three days into God of War: Ragnarok and my PS5 has died on me. One beep and then nothing. None of the suggested recovery methods work and Sony wants £240 (plus VAT, they say) to repair it. And they’ve just sent me an invite to buy a PSVR2. Well fuck that then. 

Woah, was it showing any signs that something was wrong before? I’d challenge Sony on that btw, it can’t be two years old yet. 

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Woah, was it showing any signs that something was wrong before? I’d challenge Sony on that btw, it can’t be two years old yet. 

No signs of anything wrong. I was in the middle of playing and suddenly it wasn’t responding to controller input, though the image was still live on my TV. So I did a full shutdown by pressing and holding the button on the front of the PS5. Then it wouldn’t start up again. 

17 hours ago, gospvg said:

Meh people keep saying that but I switched to be a largely PC only gamer about 5 years ago; now on my second gaming laptop and 99% of what I play has no issues with booting it up and letting the GeForce experience thing work out the best settings.

Doesn’t seem much of a difference to the various graphics options being offered with the current and souped up last genconsoles

8 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Meh people keep saying that but I switched to be a largely PC only gamer about 5 years ago; now on my second gaming laptop and 99% of what I play has no issues with booting it up and letting the GeForce experience thing work out the best settings.

Doesn’t seem much of a difference to the various graphics options being offered with the current and souped up last February consoles

There are still multiple stores and launchers.

A generally more variable environment (more updates to other software that *can* impact your experience even if most of the time for most people it doesn't).

If you want to use it on a TV without a controller and no keyboard/mouse you'll likely get caught out at least occasionally.

It's not terrible of course. Many won't even notice these things or care about them. Some won't be effected by them depending on their use case or setup.

But the chance of encountering issues is probably higher on PC.

3 hours ago, superfunk said:

Ive watched a few repair videos and something that is gaining traction is the Liquid Metal causing issues - do you have it vertical or horizontal?

If it’s out of warranty there are quite a few places repairing them - a few common faults developing now :( 

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ive watched a few repair videos and something that is gaining traction is the Liquid Metal causing issues - do you have it vertical or horizontal?

If it’s out of warranty there are quite a few places repairing them - a few common faults developing now :( 

I have it vertical. Is there a 3rd party repairer that you know to be decent, by any chance?

2 hours ago, superfunk said:

I have it vertical. Is there a 3rd party repairer that you know to be decent, by any chance?

I couldn’t recommend anyone as no experience, there is a YouTuber called the Cod3r ( I think, you will know its him if you look as he doesnt appear to be the YouTube professional repairer type but appears to be a very skilled repairer from what ive seen) who has repaired quite a few PS5’s now and has a theory that having them vertical is causing issues as Sony cheaper out on the application and protection of the Liquid Metal - its causing shorts and similar symptoms to yours form what I recall. 

It’s a typical YouTube well ive fallen into so now I have several console repair channels on the go….. they often talk of the repairs costing under £100 and have access to parts and some clever techniques to solve the Liquid Metal leak from causing further issues so worth checking them out as I guess it depends where they and you are!

My PS5 is vertical on the floor (my games room is only 3m x 2m so not sure I could fit it horizontal) as the vids I watched did make me question the orientation but I genuinely dont have the room to run it any other way, I was thinking of getting a bracket to wall mount it but still vertical - would be more to prevent the fans hoovering all the dust off the floor etc.

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I couldn’t recommend anyone as no experience, there is a YouTuber called the Cod3r ( I think, you will know its him if you look as he doesnt appear to be the YouTube professional repairer type but appears to be a very skilled repairer from what ive seen) who has repaired quite a few PS5’s now and has a theory that having them vertical is causing issues as Sony cheaper out on the application and protection of the Liquid Metal - its causing shorts and similar symptoms to yours form what I recall. 

It’s a typical YouTube well ive fallen into so now I have several console repair channels on the go….. they often talk of the repairs costing under £100 and have access to parts and some clever techniques to solve the Liquid Metal leak from causing further issues so worth checking them out as I guess it depends where they and you are!

Watched his vids a few times.. seems to know what he's doing. Apparently people are repairing consoles using a BGA machine and then not putting the foam pad back around the APU properly (or at all). Soon as the console is moved around the conductive liquid metal runs everywhere and shorts things out. 

Makes me wonder how much better liquid metal is over regular thermal paste TBH. Guessing its much more conductive at transferring heat to the heat sink however seems to be causing repairers all sorts of issues... Never had any overheating issues on my PCs I've had over the years with regular thermal paste. Suppose it does harden off a bit over the years but can't say I've had issues. My PC build is currently 5 years old and I've not touched it since I built it and its as quiet as when I did.