PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

21 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Isn't 8K becoming a thing in Japan at the moment?!

Yup.  Some Japanese channels were starting to broadcast at 8K as of December.  (Well...one was)

I'd imagine both consoles will support 8K but not at 60fps.

As for revolutionary rather than evolutionary.   Bring it on.  I can't wait.  The games will be great, we know that.  So lets get funky with the hardware. 

I'm half thinking this could be just a fake out to make MS think twice about launching early. 

The "raytraced" audio ought to be great for VR. I'd imagine a higher-spec headset and some dedicated games will be a big focus. I'm still very interested in VR despite being disappointed in the current PSVR setup.

From the NVidia RTX demos raytraced lighting and reflections look spectacular and, while 8k is definitely gonna be out of my budget, we will likely closer to a solid performance in native 4k. I cant wait to pay over £500 for a PS5 day one only to use its backwards compatiblity to play 3rd Strike all day anyway.

This seems like an odd way to announce the console, almost the exact opposite of the flash and sizzle of their dedicated PS4 event. It all sounds very promising though, the SSD speed seems like a genuine game changer and it's bringing the specs to match. I don't know much about PC graphics cards, but I'm assuming any card made on a 7nm process is cutting edge, smoking fat stuff.

Thrilled to read the console will be backwards compatible and that current PSVR headsets will be compatible with the machine. I've long been on the fence over buying a PSVR and one of my biggest fears was that it would become obsolete next year when PSVR2 inevitably arrived with the next console. With the current stream of quality VR content, I see this as the green light to finally invest. :D

Great article though, thanks for making a dedicated topic for it!

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, and by faster than PC I assume he means current PC, otherwise we're getting into customizations I thought consoles were getting away from. 

But honestly, an SSD full stop is a must. The load times in some games, understandable given the assets, are sometimes off putting. I think we've exhausted the abilities of spinning rust, it's an absolute bottleneck.

Are they talking about he new generation of SSD's?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2899351/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvme.html

22 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I'm probably being too optimistic, but it'd be nice if more of the current PSVR gubbins was built into the new console and it wasn't the Cthulhu of cables that current owners deal with.

I think my priorities are a little messed up. :P 

T3 suggested a wireless upgrade for PSVR (sorry at work can't post link atm)

2 minutes ago, max renn said:

T3 suggested a wireless upgrade for PSVR (sorry at work can't post link atm)

I would hope with prices dropping that they upgrade it to one that does inside out tracking so no camera's needed. 

3 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Was hoping for Ps3/Ps2/Ps1  BC.    

I figured this would be how they're going, I don't think a complete abstraction of the range of PS hardware is their expertise. Still, at least we have it, going forward, after years of people hand waving it away as something nobody wants.

I'm with you on the revolution vs evolution thing, totally up for a hardware arms race between MS and Sony, after all the hints at the future of streaming. No thanks, I'll have my expensive boxes under the TV, please.

Much more likely to get PSVR knowing it's going to be supported going forward, too. That was a good detail to include. Sounds like it's worth holding off for a hardware revision, mind.

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Are they talking about he new generation of SSD's?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2899351/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvme.html

The only new thing in SSD's is NVme which is about 5-6 times faster than standard SSD's. The good thing about NVMe is it fits straight onto the motherboard (you can do the same with standard SSD type memory but the speed isn't increased.) One issue though is cost, with NVMe at 500gigs having about twice the cost or a standard SSD (this depends greatly on the quality of the chips and the speed they run at, top speed heavy use NVMe costs a lot). 

I really don't see the point of going the expensive SSD route, Lots of us now have large digital collections plus people will now have access to their PS4 content. It's bound to launch with a 1TB SSD and the reality is it'd be more forward thinking if we started to see 4TB standard(ish) drives as standard so you have space for everything.

4 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

The only new thing in SSD's is NVme which is about 5-6 times faster than standard SSD's. The good thing about NVMe is it fits straight onto the motherboard (you can do the same with standard SSD type memory but the speed isn't increased.) One issue though is cost, with NVMe at 500gigs having about twice the cost or a standard SSD (this depends greatly on the quality of the chips and the speed they run at, top speed heavy use NVMe costs a lot). 

I guess wuith external HDD's being a thing it won't matter too much if the internal hard drive is something that is non standard.  Although I hope that doesn't mean it's so small you can fit 3 games on it and that's that.

Stupid question - can you spend less resources on assets (programming shaders and what have you) if you're raytracing? I've paid no attention to its application to games, my knowledge dates back to playing around with raytracers in DOS.

PS3 BC seems like it would take a lot of effort to do properly, but given that Sony has PS2 emulator they haven’t done much with beyond stick a few overpriced PS2 Classics on PSN, and that PS1 emulation must be relatively trivial by now, I’m surprised they haven’t done that already. Maybe they’re conscious of the service looking a bit weird with a PS3-sized hole in it. 

You have to imagine the SSD will be quite limited in size - something like 128GB, but PS5 will also have a much larger regular HDD that will initially load games into the SSD. That's my guess anyway - the price of, say, a 1TB SSD would be prohibitively expensive. Might mean we're still in for fairly long load times when you switch games. 

2 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

You have to imagine the SSD will be quite limited in size - something like 128GB, but PS5 will also have a much larger regular HDD that will initially load games into the SSD. That's my guess anyway - the price of, say, a 1TB SSD would be prohibitively expensive. Might mean we're still in for fairly long load times when you switch games. 

Hopefully it'll be managed like a hybrid drive with no user interaction needed. With your 3 or 4 most popular games on the faster drive.   500gb on the Ps4 was usually enough for 3 or 4 big games.