PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

17 minutes ago, Revival said:

Is this a common experience?, I've been using a USB 3.0 External drive (7200rpm) for the last two to three years and can honestly say I've had any load time problems this gen (on Xbox anyway) everything is nice and responsive. It's not even something I've thought about as an issue.

I think it's a massive issue. It takes nearly 2 minutes on Xbox One X from the dashboard to get into a Fortnite lobby (which is ridiculous), probably the same to load your initial save in most open-world games including the splash screens, over 30 seconds to get into a race in Forza Horizon 4, etc etc.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

As funny as that conference was I just can't believe they'd be that out of touch again.  They've been pretty good this gen no matter how far ahead they've got (apart from the cross play stuff).   

Can't wait for E3 now to see if MS have a similar sort of console in terms of power.  I'd imagine they probably will.    

then onto xmas 2019 or sprint 2020 to see the first one out of the blocks.      

I say now that I won't buy a launch comnsole till people on here say they're not jet engines with fan noise but I suspect I'll crumble fairly quickly. 

Yeah I think the consoles will likely deliver a very similar performance. Let's face it, Sony will be speaking to same developers Microsoft have been, so if they all want SSD, and it's possible, that tech will be in both machines, Cerny would not have mentioned it otherwise at this early stage. I'd imagine CPU and GPU will be comparable too.

I replaced the internal PS4 drive with a bigger, 7200. It's a problem. I go do something else waiting for Mass Effect Andromeda to load.

Of course, "problem", but it's slowly getting worse, and will surely only continue this way until we get a bump in technology, like this. We're clearly reaching the useful utility of magnetic drives.

£500+ pricing (quite feasible if not cheap for the tech in this) surely puts it out of the reach of the mass market that consoles are usually aimed at. If it only comes down over time by the same amount as this gen has I'm probably out of playing games

6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I think it's a massive issue. It takes nearly 2 minutes on Xbox One X from the dashboard to get into a Fortnite lobby (which is ridiculous), probably the same to load your initial save in most open-world games including the splash screens, over 30 seconds to get into a race in Forza Horizon 4, etc etc.

And when the next gen inevitably has bigger games (in terms of data), it's going to be much worse without upgrading the storage like this.

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

£500+ pricing (quite feasible if not cheap for the tech in this) surely puts it out of the reach of the mass market that consoles are usually aimed at. If it only comes down over time by the same amount as this gen has I'm probably out of playing games

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

And when the next gen inevitably has bigger games (in terms of data), it's going to be much worse without upgrading the storage like this.

Which is where the Sony Streaming box (PS Vita TV, reborn) will be shown.  :)

Man I'll laugh if the PS Vita TV gets a second life. 

13 minutes ago, TehStu said:

They won't be that out of touch again, and neither should we hope they slay the Xbox. They keep each other on their toes. Don't wish for one over the other. "Dreamcast the fuck out of the next Xbox", sigh.

Perhaps we should have simply let Apple exclusively determine our smartphone needs until the end of time.

I wasn't saying "Dreamcast the fuck out of the Xbox" in a fanboyish way. I am an Xbox owner and will get the next Xbox because Halo.

What I meant is that if the Xbox is first out of the gate, you can guarantee that the Sony hype will be at PS2>Dreamcast levels - when the PS2 appeared as though it was going to be doing real-time Toy Story graphics that the Dreamcast could only dream of...making people delay their purchase. THough we all know Sega also fucked themselves at the time. But the expectation of the PS2 was something else.

With regards to Purin's post, that George Lucas quote getting bandied about for the PS2 was my favourite. How they showed him this console that wasn't too far away from the computers he used to render TPM. The PR people just negated to mention the fact that what he was actually shown was GScube.

52 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'll bet pounds to pence that the general pricing model for this gen, will be to release a fairly powerful base console, alongside a simple network box for £99, which will come with a controller and a console which will include a simple OS, designed to facilitate the streaming of games via their cloud services. In that respect, I imagine it will be the most accessible gen yet.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

Is this a common experience?, I've been using a USB 3.0 External drive (7200rpm) for the last two to three years and can honestly say I've had any load time problems this gen (on Xbox anyway) everything is nice and responsive. It's not even something I've thought about as an issue.

Outside of lengthy load times in some games (AC Odyssey, RDR2 etc.) an additional benefit is that you can load content faster in-game. This can result in less pop-in in open world games when they're streaming the environment as the player moves through the world. Cerny cites Spider-man in the interview, where they couldn't increase the traversal speed further on the PS4 because they'd reached the hardware limitation of the drive to stream the world around the player.

Funnily enough there's been discussion about slowed traversal speed in the AC Odyssey thread, with people finding that the speed of their horse in a chase sequence is limited until the game's streamed the world ahead of them and then they can ride fast.

8 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I'll bet pounds to pence that the general pricing model for this gen, will be to release a fairly powerful base console, alongside a simple network box for £99, which will come with a controller and a console which will include a simple OS, designed to facilitate the streaming of games via their cloud services. In that respect, I imagine it will be the most accessible gen yet.

wait, how many SKUs is that?

I count 3

Yeah I can see that too. Uber expensive console with some nice tech for those inclined and some sort of cheaper streaming solution. No way they are going back to the only option being to get another job and talk of ray traced sound and superfast storage isn't pointing to cheap.

1 minute ago, amc said:

Yeah I can see that too. Uber expensive console with some nice tech for those inclined and some sort of cheaper streaming solution. No way they are going back to the only option being to get another job and talk of ray traced sound and superfast storage isn't pointing to cheap.

remember when the xbox one was going to have physics, via cloud computing, provided by networked xbox one CPU time?

tenor.gif?itemid=5340022

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

wait, how many SKUs is that?

I count 3

I was only talking about 2, a main console and streaming box. I think some early leaks about the next Xbox pointed to 3, which suggested they would launch a streaming box, a base console and then a high powered beast of a machine alongside it for the die hards.

? @SeanRSony are already providing streaming via psnow. Google are going there, Microsoft are talking it up, Nvidia are at it. MS just didn't see the point to firing it all up for a game that didn't seem to be worth the bother hype or return wise.

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

A few headlines:

- Revolution not evolution.

- Will have a solid state drive with bandwidth faster than any SSD in any current PC.

- The SSD will transform how quickly data can be streamed and will improve load times massively from current titles.

- The PS5 will support 8K.

- Will also support current PSVR, a future version of which is heavily implied but not yet being revealed.

- Supports ray tracing, which seems to be a big focus of new graphics and (intriguingly) audio.

- Jump in audio quality will 'redefine what sound can do in a videogame'. Much bigger than the leap from PS3 to PS4, and is a focus of the machine. Hardware resources being thrown at audio.

- Backwards compatible with PS4 software.

- Not out this year.

Well, that's the next gen console-wars already sewn up! 

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

You have to imagine the SSD will be quite limited in size - something like 128GB, but PS5 will also have a much larger regular HDD that will initially load games into the SSD. That's my guess anyway - the price of, say, a 1TB SSD would be prohibitively expensive. Might mean we're still in for fairly long load times when you switch games. 

My guess too mix of SSD and HDD. They might even drop a 1TB NVMe "drive" on the motherboard and leave a slot somewhere in the console to just add a secondary drive should you want to.

Price? My punt at this is $499 max. 

Shows how little I know about the current gen consoles that I thought they both had SSDs already. Bit odd to market tech that's been around for decades as a massive generation defining upgrade, but I guess if you're still on loud mechanical drives it probably will feel like one.

Been umming and ahing about picking up a PS4 or Pro and its back catalogue at the end of the gen, but if this is backwards compatible and has Death Stranding as a launch game, well, might just get this instead. PC gaming is so rough on my eyes and my joints these days.

3 minutes ago, amc said:

The claim in the quote is it will use faster than current PC tech speeds. What that is fuck knows, perhaps some interface between the SSD and ram proprietary to Playstation?

Maybe a mains-backed-up RAM drive? My console is almost never actually switched off anyway.