PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

50 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I don't get it. It's like we're back in the days of arrogant, post-PS2 Sony where they believe they can do no wrong and are setting themselves up for a massive fall.

That’s one interpretation of the cross-gen save issue.

The alternative is that it’s a software architecture issue and Sony’s simply not as good at designing, developing and maintaining software compared to the biggest software company on the planet.

9 minutes ago, Halo said:

That’s one interpretation of the cross-gen save issue.

The alternative is that it’s a software architecture issue and Sony’s simply not as good at designing, developing and maintaining software compared to the biggest software company on the planet.

Well seeing as they've been in the console business 20 years and its sonys biggest money earner, that's not a good enough excuse.  A console that's designed from inception to be ps4 compatible and the saves dont cross? That's some bullshit.

Edited by bumgut
13 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Also, aren't there some games where PS3 saves work on PS4? Or have I imagined that?

Borderlands Ps3 -> Borderlands (Remaster) PS4.  

Seems to be on individual devs to offer it though as opposed to being a system level thing that devs don't need to worry about so it becomes a standard thing, leading to people having to ask devs on twitter if their save is going to be preserved. 

We've been saying for ages that Sony's OS/service software decisions compared to MS are shite.  Nice to see a few more people notice.   Great first party games. Shitty infrastructure.

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

Hell what about GTA5, no way Im starting that from scratch! 

That'll be linked to your Rockstar account, I believe. So you should be fine.

As for the saves, your PS+ games should be fine to use your cloud saves on. But if you bought a new PS5 remaster of one them, then no would likely not work. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Honestly, if Sony didn’t have a handful of exclusives I will want to play over the generation, I’d skip the PS5. That’s the only thing keeping me invested at the moment.

WHOA MAN WHAT A SHOCKER! Everyone was so sure you were going to get one ASAP too :lol:

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Honestly, if Sony didn’t have a handful of exclusives I will want to play over the generation, I’d skip the PS5. That’s the only thing keeping me invested at the moment.

Yup, and this is why it always baffles me when I see someone claim that exclusives don’t matter anymore.

The only thing holding me back from buying a series X instead of a PS5 are the likes of Demons Souls, God of War, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Miles Morales, Returnal etc all coming within the next year or so. Unfortunately though that’s enough for me to get a PS5 instead. Otherwise the Series X is definitely more appealing.  

4 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

WHOA MAN WHAT A SHOCKER! Everyone was so sure you were going to get one ASAP too :lol:

I’ve been in two minds, but my plan is to wait for the mid-gen refresh. I don’t even think Demon’s Souls is enough to make me have that monstrosity in my living room.

12 minutes ago, Radish said:

Yup, and this is why it always baffles me when I see someone claim that exclusives don’t matter anymore.

The only thing holding me back from buying a series X instead of a PS5 are the likes of Demons Souls, God of War, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Miles Morales, Returnal etc all coming within the next year or so. Unfortunately though that’s enough for me to get a PS5 instead. Otherwise the Series X is definitely more appealing.  

Oh yeah, totally agree. Personally, from a selfish point of view, I wish all games were multi-platform or there was a single standard, just so I could buy one console instead of all 3. I do get that exclusives can be funded by the platform holder and given the time and resources that other games don't get, so it's definitely a more complex situation than I'm giving it credit for.

As for those exclusives, I'm hoping now MS have got plenty of studios, we'll start to see some games to the standard of what we've been getting from Sony's first parties. It should be a good generation.

1 hour ago, bumgut said:

Well seeing as they've been in the console business 20 years and its sonys biggest money earner, that's not a good enough excuse.  A console that's designed from inception to be ps4 compatible and the saves dont cross? That's some bullshit.

The key thing here is that in the 20 years of console business (and every device they have ever made that requires one) they have always made the worst OS and UI, had terrible backend systems, online and save game control - they needed to start the PS4 OS from scratch during its life to actually stand a chance with the PS5.

There is no way the PS5 has been back compatible since its inception, MS have forced them into that and it’s showing that they can’t fudge it all together - I think we are in for more shocks with announcements than good news :( 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The key thing here is that in the 20 years of console business (and every device they have ever made that requires one) they have always made the worst OS and UI, had terrible backend systems, online and save game control - they needed to start the PS4 OS from scratch during its life to actually stand a chance with the PS5.

There is no way the PS5 has been back compatible since its inception, MS have forced them into that and it’s showing that they can’t fudge it all together - I think we are in for more shocks with announcements than good news :( 

The entire APU has been designed with Backward compatibility in mind, the PS5 was always designed to play PS4 games. PS4 games don't even allow saves to transfer between different versions of the disc in some cases.

8 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah not really sure where the PS OS being shite has come from.

Here comes the revisionist history I guess.

Yeh, what?!

I really like the chilled PS front end and UI but obviously personal preference and all that.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Demon's Souls has a 4k mode and frame rate mode? Early next gen "we aren't quite au fait with optimization yet" or devs intentionally pushing too much eye candy (if you want)? 

We've already had loads of games this gen give the option of performance and graphics modes, it will probably become even more widespread this gen. 4k at 60fps still isn't going to be the norm for most games pushing the graphical envelope, it will be a choice from devs of 4k at 30 fps with some extra little visual effects or 1440p at 60fps most likely.

Just now, Majora said:

We've already had loads of games this gen give the option of performance and graphics modes, it will probably become even more widespread this gen. 4k at 60fps still isn't going to be the norm for most games pushing the graphical envelope, it will be a choice from devs of 4k at 30 fps with some extra little visual effects or 1440p at 60fps most likely.

I avoided Pro/X, but assumed these modes were because these machines didn't always have the grunt for 4k. 

Oh well, new norm. 

13 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah not really sure where the PS OS being shite has come from.

Here comes the revisionist history I guess.

PS4 is my first Playstation so I'm not too familiar with the older OS but content would frequently take a long time to load for me and if the system had been on for more than 15 minutes I wouldn't be able to access the store, meesages etc without a log out or restart. Notifications are also badly placed, frequently covering up menu items completely (when ending a Share Button broadcast for example).

I'm glad of the folders though.

I'd expect the PS5 OS to fix some of the issues and be a fair bit snappier.

Insomniac have said Miles Morales saves will be transferable from PS4 to PS5 (albeit not for their own remastered Spider-Man game).  If it's possible for saves for that game to be transferred, then it stands to reason that it's possible for all games.  I expect this is all a kerfuffle over whose job it is to facilitate it - Sony probably want 3rd parties to do it themselves, while 3rd parties (quite rightly) want Sony to make life easy for them like MS has.

The reality is that, as long as saved games transfer for PS4 games running on BC, this is only going to affect a few select scenarios around the transition time from one console to another where you have two separate versions of a game on the market.  To the hardcore who jump on a game on release day it seems like a big insurmountable problem, but the reality for most will be "I won't buy x game until I've got my PS5", and thus the problem disappears.

It's not great of Sony - they should have done better - but they're quite good at spotting problems and ignoring them when they're confident they'll go away and be forgotten in a matter of months.  As has been pointed out, they've not got the resources of MS and so they probably do end up prioritising some things that MS are able to just do more easily.

I like the PS4 dash as is, EXCEPT for 1 thing I'd wish they would copy from Xbox. On Xbox you can add or remove whatever you want - you can even remove the link to the store page or to the gamepass section from the dash!

I would love to be able to remove shortcuts from the dash to stuff that I personally never use, things like tv or video share factory or whatever it's called. Fully customizable, with the quick menu shortcuts always ready above when you press up.

8 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

PS4 is my first Playstation so I'm not too familiar with the older OS but content would frequently take a long time to load for me and if the system had been on for more than 15 minutes I wouldn't be able to access the store, meesages etc without a log out or restart. Notifications are also badly placed, frequently covering up menu items completely (when ending a Share Button broadcast for example).

I'm glad of the folders though.

I'd expect the PS5 OS to fix some of the issues and be a fair bit snappier.

Yeah that doesn’t sound right. 

4 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Your PS4 is broken or your connection is shit then

Nah, it was a known issue (my connection was wired, 150Mbps down and up at the time). Sony suggested rebuilding the database to resolve it but it wasn't a permanent fix as it would occur again after a while. It no longer happens on my newer PS4 Pro.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!