PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

21 minutes ago, footle said:

the thing about the series x is it can always sit quietly by the side of the tv on the floor, looking like a subwoofer.

the PS5, less so.

The PS5 will easily just fit into a shelf, it'll just take up more horizontal space in that shelf. 

The series X, I guess, on the floor! maybe something underneath it. I find it far more awkward to fit. 

38 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The PS5 will easily just fit into a shelf, it'll just take up more horizontal space in that shelf. 

The series X, I guess, on the floor! maybe something underneath it. I find it far more awkward to fit. 

This video shows the X off on its side and upright as well as on an Ikea stand behind one of the talkers.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wonder what the rationale for giving exclusive access to only Japanese YouTubers is. They’ll have a tiny audience in comparison to English speaking YouTubers, in a market where Playstation has been on the decline.

bit odd.  But maybe they want to make sure they stomp MS into the ground in Japan again early.  

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wonder what the rationale for giving exclusive access to only Japanese YouTubers is. They’ll have a tiny audience in comparison to English speaking YouTubers, in a market where Playstation has been on the decline.

Majority of audience won't understand them saying" Look at the resolution on that fucking ray-traced reflection - can we still pre-order the series X?"

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Because theyl be too afraid to say its shit. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s such a bizarre move. Been trying to think of a reason why the last few days and can’t think of anything better than it’s geographically closer to where they were sent out from and western journalists/influencers will be a day or so later?

One of the points from Mark Cerny’s talk a million years ago was that they were aiming for 2 seconds from selection to title screen for games, near-instant loading, instant restarts after death, and fast travel that was actually fast. If they have cracked that, they should be shouting it from the rooftops, and Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls are perfect games to show it off. 

They also made a big song and dance about 3D audio but we’ve heard nothing of that.  Can I use it if I plug my headphones into the controller or is it the Pulse headset only? Why hasn’t there been a YouTube video with a demonstration if you don’t need fancy audio hardware to do it? 

I haven’t seen one actual example of what haptic feedback actually does, all we’ve had is ‘maybe you can pull on a bow blah blah blah’. That Geoff Keighley video about the controller was a joke. 

Why are we not seeing any of this stuff?

Bloody hell, it's not that much bigger than a Series X is it? I get that horizontally it might be able to fit in shelving easier but it looks ridiculously large by every other conceivable metric. A bit mind-boggling that the Series X is more powerful yet so much more compact 

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

Bloody hell, it's not that much bigger than a Series X is it? I get that horizontally it might be able to fit in shelving easier but it looks ridiculously large by every other conceivable metric. A bit mind-boggling that the Series X is more powerful yet so much more compact 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21438782/sony-ps5-size-specs-dimensions-console-huge-large-big

55 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

One of the points from Mark Cerny’s talk a million years ago was that they were aiming for 2 seconds from selection to title screen for games, near-instant loading, instant restarts after death, and fast travel that was actually fast. If they have cracked that, they should be shouting it from the rooftops, and Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls are perfect games to show it off. 

I think part of the issue is that those are metrics they have no control over. Every game is different, for each they find to say, look, that was so fast, instant even, there’ll be another that’s slow because of the way it’s coded. They cannot crack anything here. They’ve provided the fastest drive in a games console but I have no doubt there will still be poorly coded experiences that take ages (compared to their best).

Thats different to something like quick resume where MS have complete control. The only variable is how much memory the game uses so they should be able to easily state and meet some very impressive slowest time.

My feeling is that Sony have got caught a bit flat footed and are struggling to find any hardware related announcements that make for good reading. It’s not that it’s much worse than XSX maybe but simply that if you end up going second the architecture is so fundamentally similar that it’s basically just “us too”.

13 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

My feeling is that Sony have got caught a bit flat footed and are struggling to find any hardware related announcements that make for good reading. It’s not that it’s much worse than XSX maybe but simply that if you end up going second the architecture is so fundamentally similar that it’s basically just “us too”.

Even that would have been better that this boring silence. MS are doing such a good job I'm getting the urge to switch :lol: 

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Good lord it’s huge! 

but it’s actually the Series X of the two new consoles that I have no idea how I’ll fit it under my TV. On it’s side it’s too tall! 

Why fit it under the TV?  Simply walk around with it on your shoulder, attached to a battery pack in a tribute to 80's style ghetto blasters.

38 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Nah, put some headphones on and you’ll tell the difference till Microsoft catch up.

otherwise launch games are always a bit “ not really using the hardware really” me too much of a muchness, with the exception that the machine with more TF might run at a higher dynamic resolution. It’s not like you could easily have seen that TLOU2 was going to come out on the same hardware that brought us the delights of Knack, is it?

29 minutes ago, footle said:

Nah, put some headphones on and you’ll tell the difference till Microsoft catch up.

I think they did... a couple of years ago. 

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/dolby-believes-less-is-more-but-welcomes-3d-audio-on-ps5

That's not to say that I think that more impressive sound won't occur on these new consoles, but xbox has supported at least two 3d audio standards for a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I haven’t seen one actual example of what haptic feedback actually does, all we’ve had is ‘maybe you can pull on a bow blah blah blah’. That Geoff Keighley video about the controller was a joke. 

Haptic feedback is the joycon HD rumble, the "adaptive triggers" is the thing like pulling the string of a bow.

Speaking of the Geoff Keighley video, I'm expecting these YouTuber's videos to be very similar, with that air of a Sony representative just out of shot, ready to take it back the second it's over, as opposed to everyone just getting sent an X.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!