PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

51 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

The cooling solution seems solid, if this report is correct:

Edit: Okay, I'm genuinely curious to know why @bumgut negged / emphed this?

I emphed it cos i'm also relieved if it runs cool.

It's not a neg, its an empathy. If it can be either it rather wrecks the point of havig them if they are whatever you want them to be. 

I still remember how disappointed I was when I was playing Resogun on PS4 launch day and the fan kicked in pretty heavily when I paused to go into the OS. Everyone creamed themselves about how the PS4 was smaller and better looking than the Bone while being more powerful yet one was pretty quiet and one wasn't.

If the PS5 genuinely is as quiet as they make out (though I'm withholding getting too excited about the noise reports of either the PS5 or Series X until they're running a taxing game for hours at a time in a typical home setup) I can forgive it looking like a monstrosity.

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

I still remember how disappointed I was when I was playing Resogun on PS4 launch day and the fan kicked in pretty heavily when I paused to go into the OS. Everyone creamed themselves about how the PS4 was smaller and better looking than the Bone while being more powerful yet one was pretty quiet and one wasn't.

If the PS5 genuinely is as quiet as they make out (though I'm withholding getting too excited about the noise reports of either the PS5 or Series X until they're running a taxing game for hours at a time in a typical home setup) I can forgive it looking like a monstrosity.

Quiteness >> size or looks

When designing the PS5 casing the design team looked to their counterparts in Kyoto. At Nintendo Miyamoto had looked at the world around him for inspiration. 

As the Sony design meeting went on for hours into the night, they decided to try this methodology. Suddenly the idea hit them. It was there on the table in front of them all along...the dried, curved white surfaces, the centre full of unknown substance, 

24877DC8-4951-4CC2-84C7-72D5E1603099.jpeg

14 minutes ago, bumgut said:

I emphed it cos i'm also relieved if it runs cool.

It's not a neg, its an empathy. If it can be either it rather wrecks the point of havig them if they are whatever you want them to be. 

I didn't think it was like you to neg / emph like that, hence why I made the edit. You're absolutely right of course, the emph is a complete mess right now as half the forum use them as a surrogate neg and half the forum use them for their intended purpose. I'm going to prod the committee about this issue again, as you're right, it's a ridiculous situation right now.

3 hours ago, Ferine said:

According to 4Gamer the fans were barely audible and the expelled heat wasn't extreme, despite being in a 30ºC basement. They also have bunch of high-res photos of the console and controller.

Machine translation is a bit of a minefield so I don't want to dig into their impressions too much, but one interesting titbit is that the DualSense has a second microphone on its rear for noise-cancellation.

Saw a video which I think was giant bomb where one guy said the prs release Xbox series x hardware was really really warm. Either way if you make a box with hot stuff in it don’t expect it to be super cool. My iPhone 6s seems cool until you take off the case :S

31 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Saw a video which I think was giant bomb where one guy said the prs release Xbox series x hardware was really really warm. Either way if you make a box with hot stuff in it don’t expect it to be super cool. My iPhone 6s seems cool until you take off the case :S

These new consoles are the most energy guzzling beasts ever made. If people want them quiet aswell, that means they won't be as rapidly ejecting the heat out of the system and so will be getting warmer than in the past.

It's a trend that is affecting new laptops too, with the APUs on them regularly hitting their thermal limits when under load and not being performance gimped massively instead to control the power draw.

If what is assumed by the various Japanese sources is correct, Sony have taken the logical approach to reducing noise. A fucking massive diameter fan spinning at a low rpm, would fit why the casing is so big.

43 minutes ago, Marlew said:

What you dusting with, a Brillo pad? 

G9c1F2B.jpg

If you look at where the light catches it, it's already pre-scratched for your convenience.

Saved me some money on a brillo pad :lol:

Sony always love these glossy surfaces on the first revision of their consoles

maxresdefault.jpg

The OG PS3 is a glorious scratch magnet

11 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

It's been reported that Sony are making "X" the universal button for "confirm" and "O" the universal button for "cancel".

Since PlayStation began its been the other way around in Japan.

Genuinely annoying for me, as my PS3, Vita and PS4 were Japanese and it's wired into my brain now.

It's not just Japan, though. I think all of Asia uses that button mapping.

16 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

It's been reported that Sony are making "X" the universal button for "confirm" and "O" the universal button for "cancel".

Since PlayStation began its been the other way around in Japan.

It makes more sense over there as it corresponds to maru/batsu. Would be an odd thing to change now.

They never should've messed with it in the first place. The western mapping is weird because 'X' seems far more like a mistake/negative/decline thing to me than 'O' does. Someone told me it's because 'X marks the spot' but that seems like a reach.

5 hours ago, cubik said:

As demos go, lots of 5 second clips of the character dying doesn’t sell me a console. Is there a better video showing someone playing the game properly?

I’ve just realised that the video showing loads of clips of Astro isn’t supposed to be a demo of the game so my initial criticism of the vid is unfair, it’s to show off the speed of restarting/reloading after dying. Whilst it’s not instant, it’s pretty speedy.  

One thing that does strike me as odd in the Astro videos is the complete lack of any reflections. I know it’ll eventually become the most overused and cliched effect since lens flare but I did expect an in-house game to be highlighting the shiny new ray tracing effects of their next gen console. The environments aren’t mega dense and overly taxing so it can’t be down to computing power, could it be an artistic decision?

It’s a shame as there’s plenty of shiny surfaces, water and ice that would be perfect to show it off. The graphical style would really suit it. 

53 minutes ago, cubik said:

One thing that does strike me as odd in the Astro videos is the complete lack of any reflections.

If there's a level dedicated to Cooling, maybe there's a level dedicated to Ray Tracing. With the camera pointed at the floor like the Yeti boss in Twilight Princess.

4 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

The cooling solution seems solid, if this report is correct:

Edit: Okay, I'm genuinely curious to know why @bumgut negged / emphed this?

Elsewhere, Japanese outlet 4Gamer has also made similar claims – reinforcing the fact that the PS5 is shaping up to be the quietest PlayStation console ever made.

I remember the Xbox being on the noisy side, but the PS2 was really quiet, and the only PS1 noise was from reading discs.

1 hour ago, Quest said:

They never should've messed with it in the first place. The western mapping is weird because 'X' seems far more like a mistake/negative/decline thing to me than 'O' does. Someone told me it's because 'X marks the spot' but that seems like a reach.

For a very long time, European and US games used X to proceed “down” through the menu hierarchy and triangle to proceed back “up” it, because they’re the top and bottom buttons. That was sensible I thought. I don’t know how we wound up with circle as back.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!