PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t know if this has changed in more recent panels but it certainly is not true of my B7. My Switch looked worse on it than it did on my previous 1080p TV. Mario Odyssey in particular. 

The newer ones will have new chipset, and even going by reviews the B9/C9 are lauded for their upscaling. 

I still have my old Sony 1080p screen that was revered at the time I bought it (hdtvtest’s recommended gaming set) and anything NOT 1080p looks not good and blurry on it. 1080p on my OLED look noticeably better than anything on the Sony set. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Did you upgrade on size as well as to 4K at the same time?

I think it was a small size upgrade of something like 50" to 55". Not enough to make as big of a difference as it did, I don't think, especially given my viewing distance.

I can't understand how anyone can look at the 4K and 1080p versions of GoW and think the latter looks great on a 4K set. Looked absolutely terrible in comparison and the framerate was all over the shop.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I can't understand how anyone can look at the 4K and 1080p versions of GoW and think the latter looks great on a 4K set. Looked absolutely terrible in comparison and the framerate was all over the shop.

Because they own a different TV to you with a different method of upscaling?

I even recent was messing with the options for Hellblade on PS4 Pro, which is 30fps locked 1440p and unlocked at 1080p and the difference was very small. It still just looked great regardless, maybe a tad "chunkier" looking at 1080p, but certainly not the blurry mess that I'm very familiar with, with the use of older TV's that I've had. 

Yakuza Kiwami was another game I played through which is just 1080p and it looked stunning on the set, and Animal Crossing, and Hades on Switch...

2 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

When can we expect more PS5 impressions to start coming out? WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG???

Apparently there should be some unboxing videos from media outlets later today.  Whether we get anything juicier than that remains to be seen.  Maybe Friday they’ll be allowed to plug them in?!

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Because they own a different TV to you with a different method of upscaling?

I don't think it's impossible, but I think it's highly unlikely that the newer OLEDs are doing anything significantly different to the old ones when it comes to 4K scaling from 1080p. Anything other than a relatively straightforward 4x4 scale tends to look worse.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think it's impossible, but I think it's highly unlikely that the newer OLEDs are doing anything significantly different to the old ones when it comes to 4K scaling from 1080p. Anything other than a relatively straightforward 4x4 scale tends to look worse.

Well maybe that's what it's doing. Also going by historical reviews that highlight how good the new scaling is, and that literally looking at it's astoundingly good where the image is not blurred but instead looks a little "chunky" maybe aliased a little more is a good indicator that they've improved things. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The newer ones will have new chipset, and even going by reviews the B9/C9 are lauded for their upscaling. 

I still have my old Sony 1080p screen that was revered at the time I bought it (hdtvtest’s recommended gaming set) and anything NOT 1080p looks not good and blurry on it. 1080p on my OLED look noticeably better than anything on the Sony set. 

I've got a C9 and it's definitely good for Switch. I'm still utterly amazed at how crisp 1080p Animal Crossing looks on it.

8 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I've got a C9 and it's definitely good for Switch. I'm still utterly amazed at how crisp 1080p Animal Crossing looks on it.

Yes, this is my findings too. I play it everyday on my OLED, 1080p and it looks bananas. 

22 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Unboxing at 12pm today apparently. Not that I'm all that interested until someone can switch one on and run some games and we can finally hear how quiet this machine runs.

I can see how they want to string it out but they've already shown the UI. So, unless there's is some incredible surprise about how you press the 'on' button, just get on with it now, eh?

There's teasing and then there's plain daft and tedious.

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

I can see how they want to string it out but they've shown the UI, so, uh, just get on with it now, eh? There's teasing and then there's plain daft and tedious.

I guess it's all part of the plan, eek out news for as long as possible save something big for the day before XSX launches.

Just now, Quexex said:

I guess it's all part of the plan, eek out news for as long as possible save something big for the day before XSX launches.

But why? It's pointless. Preorders are already sold out, keep those who have paid for one informed.

It appears European outlets are just receiving their PS5s, so I'd expect it to be at least a few days before an embargo lifts for anything meaningful.

Personally I don't see the point in unboxing videos, but a lot of people have made a dedicated career out of it so clearly there's demand for such things.

17 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Personally I don't see the point in unboxing videos, but a lot of people have made a dedicated career out of it so clearly there's demand for such things.

I don't really see the point in this sort of thing.

There was a PS5 in it all along!

Articles which are “look the console is really big” being a consequence of a restrictive media embargo strategy?

looking forward to (eventually) trying the controller’s triggers though.

So it’s big and looks nice. The drip drip drip of information and footage is just painful though. I can’t think of anything released where it has been such a painful process of getting news out and that is for both the Xbox and ps5. Kind of wanting one now though.....

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!