Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

The box and packaging looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Series X packaging which has a premium Apple level of quality to it.

 

I know this literally doesn't matter at all but if they're only going to allow us to look at the console being unboxed then what else is there to talk about other than the size for the 20th time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really promising though. If the controller is as impressive as everyone is saying, this could change my plans to make the Series X my default for third party games. If it becomes a choice between a slightly higher/more stable resolution/framerate or super impressive haptic feedback/adaptive triggers I might go for the latter (assuming third parties use them properly of course, which is far from a guarantee).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Majora said:

The box and packaging looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Series X packaging which has a premium Apple level of quality to it.

 

I know this literally doesn't matter at all but if they're only going to allow us to look at the console being unboxed then what else is there to talk about other than the size for the 20th time.

Absolutely the Xbox packaging looks a level above. Current Xbox one controller boxes are very nice on their own.

 

ive watched the mkbhd video and love the little details but it’s just painful how long this is taking. 
 

i found an old edge magazine this morning while tidying with the post press conference ps2 information and it was just all in one fell swoop. Hardware, specs, pictures, game screen, game release dates and line up. You name it. In fact the only thing missing was the box! 
 

if it wasn’t for this blizzard YouTube “creator”  Influencer market of self promotors there wouldn’t even be unboxing videos. Fuck I’m too old! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Getting pretty excited now though, the comments about the controller seems universally positive (and unexpectedly 'nest gen'). Perhaps all these haptic 'feel the game' stuff isn't just a marketing differential after all.

 

Didn't they do all that gubbins on the Switch? No ones bothered about it these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lorfarius said:

 

Didn't they do all that gubbins on the Switch? No ones bothered about it these days.

HD rumble yes - Adaptive triggers no

 

Rumble is a pass for me as I find I filter it out after a while. Triggers could be cool though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Didn't they do all that gubbins on the Switch? No ones bothered about it these days.

 

This is essentially a form of force-feedback and/or resistance provided by the triggers, as opposed to them just vibrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

I don't think I fully understood how big it was until I saw it was as thick as the Switch is tall when docked. 

 

It is a big, big boy. 

 

ElVfZhrXUAAh4rx.thumb.jpeg.b9a86fef8a95df41072b6e7f7af8cc7d.jpeg

Taller when horizontally than expected. Not sure it's going to fit inside my TV unit now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to see the ol' "I hate/don't understand unboxing video's/youtubers :blah:" comments. Everytime. :lol:

 

Looks massive. Don't like how the shiny bit looks under light, all warped and cheap. Can't wait till the 19th Nov.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phil said:

 

This is essentially a form of force-feedback and/or resistance provided by the triggers, as opposed to them just vibrating.

 

So a gimmick like the Switch which won't be taken up by many companies. Rumble on, rumble off is as much as it needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lorfarius said:

 

So a gimmick like the Switch which won't be taken up by many companies. Rumble on, rumble off is as much as it needs.

We will see how you (and the rest of us) feel about it once we have it in hand. Impressions so far seem very positive though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I already made space in the media cabinet in my man cave to house BOTH consoles next to each other. Also convinced Misses Gerbik that we need a LG 55CX OLED as the best choice to replace our faulty 10yo Sony LCD. I'M READY FOR NEXT GEN.

 

Going by these latest impressions, next-gen is going to be HUGE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarryL85 said:

I love to see the ol' "I hate/don't understand unboxing video's/youtubers :blah:" comments. Everytime. :lol:

 

Looks massive. Don't like how the shiny bit looks under light, all warped and cheap. Can't wait till the 19th Nov.

 

They are weird though.  I couldn't decide if that IGN guy was trying to flirt with it, or just an awkward guy.  

He put on some gloves, I wondered if i'd somehow veered into a different part of the internet.

I gave him the "are you an idiot" stare via my monitor when he said he'd been lugging it about his apartment all day.

I felt disappointment, when he casually disrespected the packaging by brushed the box packaging off the table and on to the floor like some pointless garbage.

I'm disappointed he didn't say "it's fucking huge"

I wondered why I'd wasted 5 minutes watching a guy open a box.

I was also disappointed by the look of the quality of the Sony box...

 

The comparisons to other consoles were useful though. It was the original Xbox that made me take a step back and realise (again) how big it is.

 

 

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Going by these latest impressions, next-gen is going to be HUGE.


Literally.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

 

So a gimmick like the Switch which won't be taken up by many companies. Rumble on, rumble off is as much as it needs.


Seems perfect for Racing games, should make a real difference in Dirt 5 if they make good use of it. Sony exclusives will hopefully make the most of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ps5 has to be so big to fit the world of Astro’s playroom/smuggle small children inside via a qanon conspiracy.

 

Still maintain that the XBSX is bigger and less practical in a living room situation though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


Seems perfect for Racing games, should make a real difference in Dirt 5 if they make good use of it. Sony exclusives will hopefully make the most of it.

All this year's ubisoft games are listing support for the adaptive triggers as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

 

So a gimmick like the Switch which won't be taken up by many companies. Rumble on, rumble off is as much as it needs.


Pretty much every game coming out supports it, including third-party games. Given how impressed people seem to be by it, I'll expect this to continue. 
Games aside, the DualSense is one of the things I'm most excited about. It's no surprise to me that people seem to dig Astro's Playroom, Asobi Team is probably SCEJ's most talented studio. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is fantastic. Looks like Astro's Playroom, Miles Morales and Demon's Souls is one hell of a launch line-up. Heck, even Sackboy looks pretty appealling to me.

Way too busy at work to follow gaming outlets at the moment, but are there any impressions about the 3D sound yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Freeman said:

 

They are weird though.  I couldn't decide if that IGN guy was trying to flirt with it, or just an awkward guy.  

He put on some gloves, I wondered if i'd somehow veered into a different part of the internet.

I gave him the "are you an idiot" stare via my monitor when he said he'd been lugging it about his apartment all day.

I felt disappointment, when he casually disrespected the packaging by brushed the box packaging off the table and on to the floor like some pointless garbage.

I'm disappointed he didn't say "it's fucking huge"

I wondered why I'd wasted 5 minutes watching a guy open a box.

I was also disappointed by the look of the quality of the Sony box...

 

The comparisons to other consoles were useful though. It was the original Xbox that made me take a step back and realise (again) how big it is.

 

 


Literally.
 

 

 

They use the gloves as they will be doing pictures for media after the unboxing and wont want fingerprints all over it.

 

I think as a consumer having as much info before you buy something is fantastic. These unboxings may lead someone to change their mind/go for the Xbox instead as they can now see the PS5 is massive and might not be something they want to look at everyday. Also lets people know whats in the box, what they might want to purchase alongside the console. Even you said you took something from it.

 

Of course you won't like everyones personality online, thats the subjective part and also why there are many different people doing the same thing, you can watch the channel you prefer or trust.

 

I'm no raging advocate for unboxing videos or anything but I do find them useful. I just find it funny you get the same reaction on here when someone posts one in any thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

The ps5 has to be so big to fit the world of Astro’s playroom/smuggle small children inside via a qanon conspiracy.

 

Still maintain that the XBSX is bigger and less practical in a living room situation though.

 

If you are planning to go vertical (which admittedly is the less living room friendly option) by the time you add the stand to the PS5, it looks like it'll be as wide as the XSX footprint wise, and then much deeper and 30% taller.

 

If you go horizontal, that 30% extra width I'd imagine would be the issue, especially if your TV cabinet has separate areas as many do.  The XSX is like a small AV receiver, which plenty of folk have in a living room set up, though side cooling I guess could be an issue.

 

They'll both fit into my ugly, it's still 2010 black glass TV unit, so I don't really care. The XSX looks like it'll fit right in the middle behind my centre speaker.  The Ps5 will  sit off to once side, opposite a pile of older consoles, and likely still look bigger...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JPL said:

:wacko:


well I can defo fit the PS5 it my media cabinet, but the XSX is such an awkward shape that there’s no way that’s going to happen, as it’s too tall on it’s side. 
I might have to get it in on the floor behind the TV! Not ideal

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.