PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Hey everyone, apparently the PS5 is quite big. Let's talk about that for a few weeks!

Hopefully next week the embargo will lift on the hardware tests & ps4 game performance.

Drip feed is so annoying!

To be fair so close to release and there are still key questions to be asked. Will the Playstation 5 have video games? Will it play videos games? What are those games? When i get this demon souls - will I need to code something to get it to boot? Hmm

How can anyone decide to not preorder something!

Apologies this is not a breakdown of the microphone or analysis of the molecular level of the foam used to package the inside of the box but it has some game stuff

On 09/10/2020 at 11:08, Gigawatt said:

From the teardown video, we saw the unit has 2 USB ports at the back (finally) and one on the front. The video says both the ones at the back are 10Gbps, which I think is 1250MBps. So those are not going to be fast enough to run PS5 games off an external SSD which we already knew, but I guess will be fine for external storage and hopefully data transfers will be quicker than on PS4 (I’m no expert on these things but does that sound correct?).

The USB port on the front just says “Hi Speed”, so I infer from that, that the front port is primarily for charging controllers.  I’ve had a quick google for box contents and it just says USB cable, so I presume that means a USB-A to USB-C cable. I could be wrong of course and it could be USB-C to USB-C, but I haven’t seen anything to confirm that. 

So assuming everything above is correct, what is the USB-C port for? Again the video says 10Gbps for the USB-C port. My guess is that this is future proofing for PSVR 2 (I suppose 3 technically) which is going to have a single USB-C cable running to the console for power and video, and then use inside out tracking for position (or maybe the PS5 camera which would just be USB in the back). This future proofing is a little bit like us all looking at the light bar in 2013 and wondering what the point of it was, although USB-C is obviously a bit more useful. 

I might be completely barking up the wrong tree here, but it just seemed like a reasonable set of assumptions to me. 

Sorry to be quoting myself, but at least it’s not about size. I watched one of the unboxing videos (and am not watching any more) and it looks like the controller charging cable is USB-A to USB-C? So I reckon my earlier theory about PSVR2 having a single cable USB-C connector could be valid? 

15 minutes ago, Pockets said:

There's always someone who'll try to steer the conversation to performance when size is being discussed.

:hat:

I'm going to struggle a little to sell my FAT PS4 but it shouldn't be too hard as it's not insanely different looking to the Slim/Pro. However, with the PS5 I am certain there will be radically improved looking models in the next 5 years that a FAT PS5 is just going to be unsellable. 

Also, I still have not ordered any games. There isn't really any games I really want? Not played dark souls before so maybe that? I liked spidey too so perhaps Morales? I'm weirdly more excited about replaying some old games with my new 4K tv and PS5 since I never upgraded to slim/pro.

I'm getting Assasins and Watchdogs too, for free :unsure:

Fuck Cyberpunk delayed! No......

Ok Demons it is, I'm still holding out a little longer for a price reduction if possible, it's released a week early right to coincide with the US release?

Also this from the usgamer article is a little worrying as mine will need to be horizontal in my cabinet, he makes it sound like horiontal it's just resting on the plinth and is wobbly, how true that is I don't know:

The PS5 is a system that was obviously designed to stand upright. Not only is that what is shown on the box itself, but the stand further points to this conclusion. In the upright mode, the system sits in the divot of the stand, and a screw is used to affix it to the system. Setting it down on a table, I'm a bit dismayed by the form factor. In the horizontal position, the system just sort of… sits on the stand itself. Without the stand, the system wobbles. On the rear of the lower plate in the horizontal position, there's a pattern of PlayStation symbols to let you know where to hook the stand, but nothing actually attaches it to the system. If you move it forward a bit, sometimes the stand will just fall off. I would've preferred that the system be able to lay flat, or have another spot to screw in the stand when horizontal.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/playstation-5-ps5-initial-impressions-a-huge-weird-art-mural-of-a-console

Same link posted earlier in the thread. Hopefully it's just bluster and it isn't wobbly, considering all the engineering that's gone into the thing I can't imagine it would suffer from wobbly-itis.

52 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'm going to struggle a little to sell my FAT PS4 but it shouldn't be too hard as it's not insanely different looking to the Slim/Pro. However, with the PS5 I am certain there will be radically improved looking models in the next 5 years that a FAT PS5 is just going to be unsellable. 

Also, I still have not ordered any games. There isn't really any games I really want? Not played dark souls before so maybe that? I liked spidey too so perhaps Morales? I'm weirdly more excited about replaying some old games with my new 4K tv and PS5 since I never upgraded to slim/pro.

I'm getting Assasins and Watchdogs too, for free :unsure:

Mine sold in under an hour on FB Marketplace 3 weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Some awful lighting and modelling on that car. Seems to be sat on the background and far too shiny for those surrounds.

Oh good it's not just me that thought the lighting was terrible too.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

New Nexgen NBA footage 

The guy’s going on about the next gen presentation while two players are locked in the same routine next to each other about 40 seconds in. This is just the same weird shit we’ve had in sports games for 20 years. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!