PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think this is going to be quite variable. TV units come in quite a few shapes, and each of them are going to struggle. The length/height of the PS5 is exceptional for a lot of units, whereas it's the square cross section of the X causing space issues.

Yeah it's a fair point. I've edited my post for context.

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

This is a very un-self-aware post.

I’m a changed man, Mike. I don’t care for console wars bollocks any more than you care to keep pointing out Gooner’s magic pad.

30 minutes ago, footle said:

the payback of those choices is that it’s the size of a bus, and hilariously, because of the styling, won’t fit in some people’s tv cabinets. I’m still not sure why it needs those curvy wings other than that someone thought a big black block that was 90% of the size without those curves would somehow look less “cool”.

the tv cabinet issue is also true of the direct competition, though, so Sony are hardly alone in having this issue.  The PS5 is bigger, but it's thinner, so there's actually a greater likelihood it will fit (and nicely) in a tv cabinet space designed for a dvd player/set top box.  If the PS5 had gone simply with a black box approach, they'd've looked very like the OG xbone, so instead they've gone bold and different, albeit not to everyones' tastes.

51 minutes ago, footle said:

Your big navi cards will have... vapour chambers. And aren’t an APU. And will be much wider (more cores) because graphics is embarrassingly parallel.

Biggest NAVI will have 80 CU's and a 2.5ghz clock speed, but NAVI 22 is pretty much the PS5 GPU, 40 CU's (ps5 has 4 disabled) at the same clock speed, it's not been overclocked at all, it's as it was designed, and your fanboyish posts are embarrassing full stop.

5 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

the tv cabinet issue is also true of the direct competition, though, so Sony are hardly alone in having this issue.  The PS5 is bigger, but it's thinner, so there's actually a greater likelihood it will fit (and nicely) in a tv cabinet space designed for a dvd player/set top box.  If the PS5 had gone simply with a black box approach, they'd've looked very like the OG xbone, so instead they've gone bold and different, albeit not to everyones' tastes.

isn't the PS5 like, half a metre tall?

30 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah a bit of reading around has suggested that in certain circumstances the PS5 actually has 15% more fill rate and triangle Drawing/Culling than the XSX. I think the difference between the two is going to be a lot less pronounced that the TFLOPs suggest. Let's face facts the TFLOP no. is some what redundant as the PS4 Pro has the same TFLOP count as the XSS. The XSS should totally outpace a PS4Pro. Time (and DF) will tell.

Yeah that's correct, i expect we will see some engines perform better on PS5 and some on XSX, but where it favours fillrate and raster performance the difference will be wider in favour of PS5.

56 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I know it sounds like I'm defending the PS5 here (I'm really not, it's an ugly monster), but it's not like either premium console is going to win any pretty awards this time around or be particularly practical, both wear the scars of their quest for more power (and heat) plainly for the world to see. The Series S is the only winner in the looks department this time around.

There is only one battle this generation: Game Pass versus everyone else. The console being 10% less/more powerful is not going to matter at all. The console wars are not the same anymore.... it is about business models now and content (like it is for Netflix and Spotify). Gaming's business model will collide with the one pioneered in Services Valley. 

I believe both models can co-exist for now so everyone will be happy. Exclusive titles in the near future will just mean shilling out $10/month to subscribe to a streaming service for 1 or 2 months a year so you can stream the other platform's greatest hits and move on with your life again. PC games are also in a very good position this generation.

I have to say, I think this is one of the most amazing looking consoles ever, the more of these unboxing vids I see, the most I think it looks totally cool! 

It's such an out there, exotic, alien sculpture of a thing that I just love to look at. Where as the new Xbox's aesthetic design seems to be, to be as unobtrusive as possible, the PS5 on the other hand is a feast for the eye!

So many cool looking sweeping lines! I absolutely love it, and on the reveal I was properly "what the?". 

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

the tv cabinet issue is also true of the direct competition, though, so Sony are hardly alone in having this issue.  The PS5 is bigger, but it's thinner, so there's actually a greater likelihood it will fit (and nicely) in a tv cabinet space designed for a dvd player/set top box.

Sony say they did consider a squarer console with a split motherboard layout like the Xbox Series X, but concluded that a larger but somewhat thinner console which was easier to manufacture was the better decision.

15 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Decided on Miles Morales as my launch game after Cyberpunk 2077 delay, I'm looking forward to the bundled in Astro's Playroom after the impression videos from yesterday.

After loving Astro Bot Rescue Mission so much (it's an astonishing VR platforming experience), and reading about Astro's Playroom and the cool Dual Sense stuff yesterday, I must admit that I'm teetering again when it comes to buying a PS5 near launch (I assume I can't get one at launch now). That's what credit cards are for, right? But no, I must be sensible!

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

After loving Astro Bot Rescue Mission so much (it's an astonishing VR platforming experience), and reading about Astro's Playroom and the cool Dual Sense stuff yesterday, I must admit that I'm teetering again when it comes to buying a PS5 near launch (I assume I can't get one at launch now). That's what credit cards are for, right? But no, I must be sensible!

Don't be sensible, join us, it's going to be epic... HYPE :)

9 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I just snagged one from Game a few minutes ago using the refresh trick as discussed here. Seems to be a way to snag one as soon is becomes available as others cancel preorders. Tried for 10 minutes on an iPad with no joy but after switching to MacBook took about a minute. Only works on bundles - I went for PS5 digital + controller. It states that orders after 22/10 aren't guaranteed for launch day but...

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

Let's face facts the TFLOP no. is some what redundant as the PS4 Pro has the same TFLOP count as the XSS. The XSS should totally outpace a PS4Pro. Time (and DF) will tell.

That's because AMD have made their newer architecture far more efficient than early GCN parts ever were, so are able to do more 'per flop' so to speak. You only have to look at how 'end game' AMD GCN parts had on paper more raw compute power than the likes of Nvidia's 1080ti or 2080ti but were smashed into the ground by team green. Comparing numbers across different architectures is not an exact science. Fill rate and triangle setup have not posed an issue for higher end GPU's for quite some time. Early 2000's for fill rate and a bit later on for geometry as AMD had some performance bottlenecks with earlier flavours of GCN as they were using fixed function blocks to handle it. Which they had resolved by the time GCN 3.x arrived. Look at how Nvidia 'encouraged' developers to go crazy with additional geometry via tessellation in the likes of Crysis 2 as they knew it would hurt AMD while their own hardware would suffer from less of a performance degradation.

Not that anyone outside of DF is going to see much of a 2TF difference.

55 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

There is only one battle this generation: Game Pass versus everyone else. The console being 10% less/more powerful is not going to matter at all. The console wars are not the same anymore.... it is about business models now and content (like it is for Netflix and Spotify). Gaming's business model will collide with the one pioneered in Services Valley. 

I believe both models can co-exist for now so everyone will be happy. Exclusive titles in the near future will just mean shilling out $10/month to subscribe to a streaming service for 1 or 2 months a year so you can stream the other platform's greatest hits and move on with your life again. PC games are also in a very good position this generation.

Yeah, you could be right. It's one of the reasons the Series S + Game Pass prospect is appealing to me to cover all my Microsoft gaming needs in a cheap and simple solution. It'll be interesting to see how Sony handle it over the next few years. Ultimately if they made the decision to dump their first party exclusives onto PS Now at launch they would have an immediate and very viable competitor to it (in many ways I think the PS+ Collection is a nod to this) but at the moment they seem content to just keep an eye on it. You can understand why if people do end up going out and spending £70 on their exclusives titles each time.

14 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Have any of these unboxing videos confirmed is the supplied HDMI is 2.1 or not yet?

That’s a given, I’ve many issues with Sony and their whole launch shambles but under no circumstances will they not include a 2.1 hdmi cable.

I'd just like Smyth's to tell me if I'm receiving my console for launch or not.

The reply I got was "you'll receive a text when your order is fulfilled" which doesn't help.

My hope is that they knew their allocation (or weren't as gung-ho about it as ShopTo) so only took orders for what they were getting.

28 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

That’s a given, I’ve many issues with Sony and their whole launch shambles but under no circumstances will they not include a 2.1 hdmi cable.

Cheers. I can't remember the details but when it was mentioned before during a box reveal or something I'm sure someone said there was a question mark on it. Could well have been genuine concerns.

9 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

The reply I got was "you'll receive a text when your order is fulfilled" which doesn't help.

My hope is that they knew their allocation (or weren't as gung-ho about it as ShopTo) so only took orders for what they were getting.

Same.

I have a smyth’s pre order and a game pre order. I just think my chances of getting one are quite slim for some reason.

I don’t know what I’m going to do when I have a day booked off work and I get told the day before it’s no dice like the 360 launch or even worse the orders just sit there, doing nothing, not being dispatched,not being charged, could be this afternoon,could be tomorrow, maybe by Monday, maybe never...

I’ve painted 10 doors and 4 rooms waiting for this thing to be released. I guess I could paint the other 5 rooms and the other 12 doors waiting for the second wave.

23 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I missed both pre-order opportunities, so I guess I have to wait in a queue for hours hoping for the best. I really should not and have a good rational look at myself for even considering waiting in a queue. But something tell me insanity will overshadow rationality and I'll be there, waiting in the cold with a thermos filled with coffee and a bag with snacks.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!