PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

36 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

For me, the lack of functionality in the PS5 camera is a clear indication that PSVR2 (when it eventually happens) will be using inside-out tracking, which is undoubtedly a good thing.

If they make it so you only have one cable, like a usb c cable for example in the front of the console and have perhaps at least 1440p per eye and have it weigh less and quicker to get into then it’s an absolute winner.

They ant done with VR. They might have to sell the headsets at a profit unlike the console but I have faith it will be back better than ever.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Nah, let them take their time and check out the latest developments. I rather have a completely new unit in 2022/2023 using the latest technology (better screen, higher resolution, wireless) than a third revision of the current headset.

As long as the current first and second revision keep working on PS5, I'm happy.

They can do all that now or in the very near future as even the PS5 isn’t going to be going beyond resolutions of cheap screens used in VR - they have some super fast WiFi built in already!

It defi has dampened any FOMO purchase of a PS5 for me and means a Quest 2 is an imminent purchase instead - at this rate MS could have a VR offering before Sony embrace the Ps5 with one :o 

But Sony have a VR Headset that is compatible with the PS5. It's the current PSVR headset.

Granted, compared with other more expensive offerings on PC (think of independent finger tracking) it is a bit lacking, but for me and I reckon many other casual users it's fantastic. I for one am happy Sony offers the adapter for free, that tells me they recognise VR as something that's worth supporting.

Given how impressed people are with the DualSense, I've high expectations for Sony's new VR controllers. Haptics are a given, but I'm also wondering if they could engineer something similar to the adaptive triggers to allow variable per-digit resistance.

My guess is that the headset will be wireless but not standalone. As in you'll be able to play it anywhere in the vicinity of your local Wi-Fi 6 network, but you can't just take it to the park or whatever as all the heavy lifting is done by the PS5.

22 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Things are starting to heat up nicely now with just 3 weeks to go! :) AstroBot looks amazing, the DualSense sounds fantastic and Demon’s Souls is clearly absolutely stunning!

More good news........been playing some WRC9 on PS4. It’s fucking amazing. One of the best Rally games ever made. It’s that good! There’s a free PS5 upgrade, with the PS5 version being out at launch and running 4K/60fps. The DualSense is also being fully supported, so you can feel the different surfaces such as snow, mud, tarmac, gravel etc and if, for example, you damage the engine, you will feel that through the resistant triggers. 

Has it been confirmed yet that WRC 5 for PS5 is out at launch. Everywhere I look the date says 31st December

46 minutes ago, df0 said:

But Sony have a VR Headset that is compatible with the PS5. It's the current PSVR headset.

Granted, compared with other more expensive offerings on PC (think of independent finger tracking) it is a bit lacking, but for me and I reckon many other casual users it's fantastic. I for one am happy Sony offers the adapter for free, that tells me they recognise VR as something that's worth supporting.

Their odd reluctance to say whether PSVR games will be in any way enhanced on PS5 is starting to grate, though. Even just a statement like ‘this is something we’re still finalising the details of,’ would reassure me. 

20 hours ago, JPL said:

Yep, totally agree. I mentioned it when the first trailer was released. As technically accomplished as it obviously is, it looks, I dunno, too generic or something. From somehow manage to make everything feel otherworldly and oppressive, but I don’t think this remake manages to nail that vibe. I’m still going to play the shit out of it when I get a PS5 though.

I think it’s the shift in architectural style. There’s a lot more gothic, ornate catholic cathedral leanings in the remake, which are by design supposed to be seductive and communicate specific feelings and a narrative, whereas the original just had big fuck off austere Presbyterian style square rooms, pillars, doorways and windows that left you feeling completely unsure about what the fuck you should be thinking other than “yep, this is pretty oppressive” :lol:

1 hour ago, df0 said:

On the subject of PSVR, do we know if the original model on PS5 will still have the HDR / breakout box / cable switching ballache that PS4 users had to endure when switching between HDR gaming and VR gaming? It only occurred to me since I got my first HDR-capable telly, which after having set up my PS4 to run through, has left me completely and utterly un-arsed to play Star Wars Squadrons in VR :(

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

On the subject of PSVR, do we know if the original model still has the HDR / breakout box / cable switching ballache that PS4 users had to endure when switching between HDR gaming and VR gaming? It only occurred to me since I got my first HDR-capable telly, which after having set up my PS4 to run through, has left me completely and utterly un-arsed to play Star Wars Squadrons in VR :(

That was a limitation of the breakout box at the time so it will still have the same problem and still be required.

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

On the subject of PSVR, do we know if the original model still has the HDR / breakout box / cable switching ballache that PS4 users had to endure when switching between HDR gaming and VR gaming? It only occurred to me since I got my first HDR-capable telly, which after having set up my PS4 to run through, has left me completely and utterly un-arsed to play Star Wars Squadrons in VR :(

yes. that will NEVER change for CUH-ZVR1

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS4-Pro-Using-PS-VR?language=en_US#:~:text=The TV with Processor Unit,a PlayStation®4 Pro.

CUH-ZVR2 doesn't have that issue

Non-PS VR content has HDR and 4k restrictions on the CUH-ZVR1 model. With the headset ON, ZVR1 models' definition will be restricted to 1080p and not HDR or 4K for both TV and headset. Resolution will be 2160p YUV420 and not HDR on the TV with the headset OFF. The TV with Processor Unit bypassed will display 2160p RGB and HDR on the TV only.

The CUH-ZVR2 model supports pass through for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation®4 Pro.

that's really poorly written, too...

I think I might have to punt the first model in order to fund a newer one. As things stand, I am never likely to be arsed to set up a shot of PSVR ever again, despite actually still really liking PSVR. I wonder what the net cost will be? :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Gutted. My telly is set up in an alcove effectively, and it fills the entire frame. I can’t easily get in behind it to swap out cables and shit. FIRST WORLD PROBZ0RZ

do you have a spare HDMI port?

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I do!

image.png.135087cda6205c57dbdc6a3354a50e28.png

HDMI1 is a 1080p social screen in PSVR games, with no HDR

HDMI2 is a 4k image with HDR (as long as the PSVR is turned off)

Edited by SeanR

I got this splitter (excuse the render)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NW3GB34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.7adaa2f01c0672be6856f91685ff06c8.png

start of september, to throw my retroconsoles at a telly, and an HDMI-USB capture thing at the same time.

Right now I'm using it as an extension cable to pass the pro to a 1080p panny, with supersampling enabled, rather than the 4k main TV. Looks pretty pretty good.

This just popped across my Twitter feed. With MS confirming that Series X is the only console to feature the full RDNA2 feature set, many have been speculating what that means for the PS5, so one inquisitive user has gone through recent patents filed by Cerny and the team and have worked out what they think Sony's custom solutions look like:

The patents look legit and the commentary tweets come from a self described game developer, but I can't speculate as to his qualifications. All sounds good though.

11 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I got this splitter (excuse the render)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NW3GB34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.7adaa2f01c0672be6856f91685ff06c8.png

start of september, to throw my retroconsoles at a telly, and an HDMI-USB capture thing at the same time.

Right now I'm using it as an extension cable to pass the pro to a 1080p panny, with supersampling enabled, rather than the 4k main TV. Looks pretty pretty good.

I’m wondering if it might be an idea to wait for / invest in a splitter capable of processing HDMI 2.1, since that’s where the new consoles are going. Hmm.

The way I do it (but still can't be assed, lol) is have two HDMI cables at the back of my PS4. One goes to the VR unit and then to AVR, the other straight to AVR with a short HDMI extension hanging off the PS4 to reach easier when I need to swap over. I have two Activities set up on my Harmony remote. One for HDR, the other for VR.

Just now, Calashnikov said:

I’m wondering if it might be an idea to wait for / invest in a splitter capable of processing HDMI 2.1, since that’s where the new consoles are going. Hmm.

maaaaaaaybe? how much processing does a splitter do?

Fuck, I dunno. I just worry an older splitter flattens all the new fangled 2.1-ness out of any signal going through it. All that 120hz bizness (which my new telly and HDMI 2.1 support) gets lost in translation. Not a big issue currently, since fuck all games are likely to support 120hz, but possibly later in the gen.

37 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

This just popped across my Twitter feed. With MS confirming that Series X is the only console to feature the full RDNA2 feature set, many have been speculating what that means for the PS5, so one inquisitive user has gone through recent patents filed by Cerny and the team and have worked out what they think Sony's custom solutions look like:

The patents look legit and the commentary tweets come from a self described game developer, but I can't speculate as to his qualifications. All sounds good though.

Twisting my melon, man. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

This just popped across my Twitter feed. With MS confirming that Series X is the only console to feature the full RDNA2 feature set, many have been speculating what that means for the PS5, so one inquisitive user has gone through recent patents filed by Cerny and the team and have worked out what they think Sony's custom solutions look like

Oh good, more fuel for the console-warz fire. I can't wait for however many more pages of concern from the people who spent most of the last generation insisting that it was all about the games, and not resolution or power or performance.

EDIT: For the record this isn't to criticise you @Robo_1, I just expect that this difference in specs will result in more fanboying from people desperate to prove their piece of plastic is better than another.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!