PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

22 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Wait I can use my old psvr on my LGOLED and maintain 4K HDR and easily switch to VR... Was contemplating getting the newer version but the splitter solution looks perfect.

Thanks @SeanR

Please let me know if you come across a splitter that supports HDMI 2.1, since I haven’t managed to find one after a very brief search. I get the impression we might have to wait for such a device to become more prevalent.

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Wait I can use my old psvr on my LGOLED and maintain 4K HDR and easily switch to VR... Was contemplating getting the newer version but the splitter solution looks perfect.

Thanks @SeanR

welcome.

my 4K samsung doesn't have HDR, so I've never had to worry about it.

my next telly should, but PSVR2 might be a thing by then... :eyebrows:

Ubisoft posted something on their website about BC with certain games:

* on Xbox Series X|S, all our Xbox One games will be backward compatible. On PlayStation®5, all games will be backward compatible except the following ones: Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, Space Junkies.

https://ubisoftconnect.com/en-US/news/ignt.23726/all-you-need-to-know-on-cross-progression-and-cross-play-with-ubisoft-connect/

So is there more games that won't be BC?

Phew , wheel of fortune is still a goer.

(fun in shareplay)

Digital foundry tease the results of their findings between the two consoles has a lot of surprises.

I wonder if those are bad surprises like compatibility...

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Digital foundry tease the results of their findings between the two consoles has a lot of surprises.

I wonder if those are bad surprises like compatibility...

Have you got a link to this? I wouldn’t mind reading about the differences they’ve found between the PS5 and Series X. I can’t see it on their site.

46 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I find the technical side of consoles interesting, I'm frankly completely taken aback by your response.

I find discussing the specs and comparing and contrasting them with comparative consoles interesting and part of the fun of console launches.

I'd recommend the Beyond3d forums next gen hardware thread for anyone really interested in the technical nuts and bolts of both these machines.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/next-generation-hardware-speculation-with-a-technical-spin-post-gdc-2020-xbsx-ps5.61641/page-218

49 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I find the technical side of consoles interesting, I'm frankly completely taken aback by your response.

I find discussing the specs and comparing and contrasting them with comparative consoles interesting and part of the fun of console launches.

It wasn't some veiled attempt to stoke the fires of the console war, I've shared technical information about the console along with the best explanation I could find of how that tech works.

Lesson learned though, I won't share anything of that nature in this thread again.

Sorry, my comment wasn't aimed at you at all, apologies that I came across like that - it was absolutely not my intention. It's all interesting stuff, but it gets twisted in some quarters. Please don't change your posting habits on my account.

Anyway, I was referring to the inevitable tidal wave of fanboy nonsense the news that 'only Series X has the full RDNA2 feature set' will fuel more widely. We'll get a comparatively small amount of that here, but it's still tiresome none-the-less.

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

https://ubisoftconnect.com/en-US/news/ignt.23726/all-you-need-to-know-on-cross-progression-and-cross-play-with-ubisoft-connect/

Nah Sony said only 9 weren’t so must be a typo.... more shit VR news with that, what makes them incompatible is the real question here?

@Robo_1 I don’t think you should be put off posting tech stuff, it’s fascinating - that Twitter link is pretty desperate fanboy stuff but interesting none the less if you read between the idiots desperately backing their horse.

Surely all we really want is both consoles to be similar in power so parity there for devs but each to have unique games and experiences to set them apart - like most here I will end up with both so the tech talk is fun.

21 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

My platestation order has been refunded due to “copyright issues”.

That's a bit shit. I'm sure Amazon/ebay will be awash with coloured covers in the near future.

41 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I guess either Ubisoft doesn’t think they are as compatible as Sony do, or there’s a publisher veto and for some reason (rights?) they can’t make the games available.

Oh well, no black Platestation covers for me. Just had my PayPal order refunded. Was order #1085, so perhaps they’re not confident that they can make/supply that many, or maybe they’re just giving up.

Still, the idea is sound. Hopefully an official version isn’t too far away.

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

Have you got a link to this? I wouldn’t mind reading about the differences they’ve found between the PS5 and Series X. I can’t see it on their site.

i would imagine the more mature SDK will really help the PS5: more than the “power”. The only thing I would find surprising is if the SSD speeds don’t make that much difference, and even then that would just be a multiplat thing.

1 minute ago, footle said:

i would imagine the more mature SDK will really help the PS5: more than the “power”. The only thing I would find surprising is if the SSD speeds don’t make that much difference, and even then that would just be a multiplat thing.

What’s an SDK?

I think they way they’ve said ‘surprises’ makes me think that either the Series S is more capable than expected, or the PS5 is on a par or producing better results than the Series X even though it’s not as powerful. Maybe something to do with that SDK you mention.

38 minutes ago, JPL said:

What’s an SDK?

I think they way they’ve said ‘surprises’ makes me think that either the Series S is more capable than expected, or the PS5 is on a par or producing better results than the Series X even though it’s not as powerful. Maybe something to do with that SDK you mention.

Software Development Kit.

Basically, Sony have gone on record saying that developers can build PS5 games in the same way they currently build PS4 games and just add more stuff so developers are productive and comfortable. 

23 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Software Development Kit.

Basically, Sony have gone on record saying that developers can build PS5 games in the same way they currently build PS4 games and just add more stuff so developers are productive and comfortable. 

Don’t MS have a mature SDK as well then? I thought both consoles were based on the same architecture as the current gen, so won’t their development environments just carry over? It’d be mental for MS to make dev start from scratch wouldn’t it?

As you can tell, I don’t really know what I’m talking about, but I do find it interesting!

5 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

This just popped across my Twitter feed. With MS confirming that Series X is the only console to feature the full RDNA2 feature set, many have been speculating what that means for the PS5, so one inquisitive user has gone through recent patents filed by Cerny and the team and have worked out what they think Sony's custom solutions look like:

The patents look legit and the commentary tweets come from a self described game developer, but I can't speculate as to his qualifications. All sounds good though.

I was watching this unfold on Neogaf earlier in the week. It seems between the usual shit posting similar conclusions were drawn. Another thread was started with the Sony patents but it wasn't long before the trolls started up again. 

Personally I find it all fascinating. Do keep posting this stuff, most of us are adult enough to not let it descend in to console warz. The leading and most sensible theory I saw was MS went for RDNA2 parity to make the XSX to PC port much easier. Sony took a different route as they do not have that as part of there strategy. 

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Don’t MS have a mature SDK as well then? I thought both consoles were based on the same architecture as the current gen, so won’t their development environments just carry over? It’d be mental for MS to make dev start from scratch wouldn’t it?

As you can tell, I don’t really know what I’m talking about, but I do find it interesting!

Yes they probably do but it was just Sony saying it. The architecture whilst x86 is very different the processor is a Ryzen instead of a Jaguar. Also the GPU will be a lot different. Maybe Sony have had it easier. Who knows?

2 hours ago, layten said:

I'd recommend the Beyond3d forums next gen hardware thread for anyone really interested in the technical nuts and bolts of both these machines.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/next-generation-hardware-speculation-with-a-technical-spin-post-gdc-2020-xbsx-ps5.61641/page-218

Oh I do stick my nose in from time to time. Obviously the very nature of that place is deeply technical, I honestly just post the tech stuff I do here because this is the community I've grown up with for twenty odd years now and I've always enjoyed the spec talk and mulling over the comparative solutions each manufacturer has come up with. For me it's just part of the "Rllmuk console launch experience", such as it is. :)

I find Twitter one of the easiest platforms to digest this information, as there's often a developer on-hand to translate these things into more understandable terms, but Twitter brings with it a lot of the "warz" stuff, which to be honest I just find amusing at this point, but I can see why others are more fatigued with it.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry, my comment wasn't aimed at you at all, apologies that I came across like that - it was absolutely not my intention. It's all interesting stuff, but it gets twisted in some quarters. Please don't change your posting habits on my account.

Anyway, I was referring to the inevitable tidal wave of fanboy nonsense the news that 'only Series X has the full RDNA2 feature set' will fuel more widely. We'll get a comparatively small amount of that here, but it's still tiresome none-the-less.

I appreciate that Phil, thanks. You're absolutely right of course, the various factions are all over this and "other forums" are hyper invested in this stuff. As I said above, I totally understand why some people are fatigued by it all. In future I'll try and parse the information myself and bring less of the Twitter stuff into the forum.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

@Robo_1 I don’t think you should be put off posting tech stuff, it’s fascinating - that Twitter link is pretty desperate fanboy stuff but interesting none the less if you read between the idiots desperately backing their horse.

Surely all we really want is both consoles to be similar in power so parity there for devs but each to have unique games and experiences to set them apart - like most here I will end up with both so the tech talk is fun.

Thanks Shimmy. I find Twitter an easy way to share information but indeed, if you click through and go through the comments it's nearly all uninformed screeching between the various factions. I think the original tweet was legit though. If memory serves I did actually create a PS5 / Xbox tech talk thread a few months back, I'm not sure if there would be any interest in resurrecting it or if it will just be seen as inviting fan warz though, although I don't think it's such a problem in this community. Maybe if Cerny ever has a proper sit down with Digital Foundry. :)

Just now, AceGrace said:

Yes they probably do but it was just Sony saying it. The architecture whilst x86 is very different the processor is a Ryzen instead of a Jaguar. Also the GPU will be a lot different. Maybe Sony have had it easier. Who knows?

Oh right, I thought it was a guess based on Digital Foundry mentioning they’ve still got some surprises to reveal.

As much as I don’t like this drip feed of information, at least it’s keeping us talking.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!