IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

This chap on YouTube is hinting at something big still under embargo.  He’s well worth subscribing to, he’s done some great analysis on the next gen consoles over the past few months, very down to earth and well informed.

31 minutes ago, sammy said:

This chap on YouTube is hinting at something big still under embargo.  He’s well worth subscribing to, he’s done some great analysis on the next gen consoles over the past few months, very down to earth and well informed.

what’s the hint?  Can’t watch that right now. 

11 minutes ago, Droo said:

what’s the hint?  Can’t watch that right now. 

Loads of you tubers are saying this about both consoles because they are under such tight embargo’s. 

It does seem at the moment that you tubers are all trying to out gush each other about the dual sense. There has been so much hyperbole and unfettered praise given to it, ranging from it simply being a true next gen feature to it being out lord and saviour Jesus Christ. 

It’s the thing to talk about. The Xbox thing till now was quick resume, which, whist great and a ‘game changer’ from a quality of life perspective is nowhere near as sexy or fun as the dual sense. But I kind of wish people would calm down about it now. I heard the same arguments about so many other innovations. “Imagine the possibilities” etc. 

(Having read that back I almost self censored myself for being grumpy but I’m gonna stick it out anyway to stimulate discussion and make a counter point) :P

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Sure they do, they just make them with cheap parts, call them "Elite", and overcharge the shit out of the mugs who buy them. :coffee:

Sony don’t exactly have a good track record with pad reliability, all this new tech is a worry when the basic DS4 is a bit of a shocker reliability wise....

13 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Indeed. It’s very much if it manages it like every other innovation . It would be great if it sets a new effective standard for the industry. 

I still think that the value of Xbox trumps pretty much any tech innovation in making gaming affordable, especially in the current climate. It will be interesting to see how the core gaming market (not the hardcore) take to the benefit of haptics and if it tempts then to jump ship. For the Destiny and COD players I can’t see it being enough of a draw. In fact I can see it being an annoyance! 

It’s pretty well known that having any force feedback on in an online shooter is a disadvantage so it’s defi going to be for your single player games and experiences - I really wish they had VR with the pad as I think it would be insane on Astrobot VR even if they patched in support!

5 minutes ago, Chooch said:

What sort of realistic surprises could there be? If it’s a big feature surely that’d be used a selling point and not hidden away behind an embargo. 

a flap

6 minutes ago, Chooch said:

What sort of realistic surprises could there be? If it’s a big feature surely that’d be used a selling point and not hidden away behind an embargo. 

In that case I got the sense he was referring to astrobot as it seems like a game that has tonnes of Easter eggs. Wouldn’t be surprised if there were more of those in the system itself as Sony like reminding people why they love Sony. 

I agree that there can’t be that many big secrets now that are still to be revealed. 

Are you a YouTuber? Do you make your money from people subscribing and coming back? Is secret exciting thing under embargo the kind of thing that makes people come back?

Are you a youtuber who knows that secret and exciting thing under embargo can just be the intial console boot up sequence and people will bite?

etc.

Either that, or you put TLOU2 in and immediately get 4K/120Hz.

17 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It’s the thing to talk about. The Xbox thing till now was quick resume, which, whist great and a ‘game changer’ from a quality of life perspective is nowhere near as sexy or fun as the dual sense. But I kind of wish people would calm down about it now. I heard the same arguments about so many other innovations. “Imagine the possibilities” etc. 

Miles Morales boots from the dashboard to menu in 7 seconds and loads a saved game in under 2. I honestly don’t think quick resume is the game changer some people are making it out to be. With current hardware it absolutely would be but not on the next gen systems. 

Then there are potential issues with quick resume. I heard on a podcast that the current gen implementation doesn’t work with Star Wars Squadrons on the Xbox and I’ve had problems before on both systems with performance degrading over time etc. It happens rarely but it does happen. When it takes under 10 seconds to get into a game from the dashboard it doesn’t seem like you’re missing out on much, especially with multiplayer games where you’d get disconnected anyway. 

6 minutes ago, footle said:

Are you a YouTuber? Do you make your money from people subscribing and coming back? Is secret exciting thing under embargo the kind of thing that makes people come back?

Are you a youtuber who knows that secret and exciting thing under embargo can just be the intial console boot up sequence and people will bite?

I do get that, however it doesn’t seem to be this guys style going off previous videos of his that I’ve seen.  Could well be clickbaity bollocks though for sure. Seemed to me to be in line with Digital Foundry’s comments that there are more surprises to come.

I don’t know, the hype, it does strange things to a person!

3 minutes ago, Radish said:

Miles Morales boots from the dashboard to menu in 7 seconds and loads a saved game in under 2. I honestly don’t think quick resume is the game changer some people are making it out to be. With current hardware it absolutely would be but not on the next gen systems. 

It’s not the same. QR is universal across all games and it takes it back to exactly where you left off, much more useful than a fast load. 

Saying that, I think general load times across both systems are gonna be the bigger overall change. 

Also I think it’s only a game changer for those of us who flip between several games or have kids for example. For many people it won’t make much difference. 

Also Quick Resume is (presumably) going to work for Back-Compat games that are run from an external hard drive as it’s writing to the SSD when it suspends. If PS5 doesn’t have similar then anything run externally (pending results from external SSDs) is still going to have the same load times as currently. It’s an amazing feature that deserves a lot of credit. 

14 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Indeed. It’s very much if it manages it like every other innovation . It would be great if it sets a new effective standard for the industry. 

I still think that the value of Xbox trumps pretty much any tech innovation in making gaming affordable, especially in the current climate. It will be interesting to see how the core gaming market (not the hardcore) take to the benefit of haptics and if it tempts then to jump ship. For the Destiny and COD players I can’t see it being enough of a draw. In fact I can see it being an annoyance! 

The other way around surely, Sony being the current market leader - so it will be interesting to see if Microsoft’s value proposition will make people jump ship. My problem with MS at the moment is that they still don’t have any games to push the new hardware, that, for me, is still the reason why Sony are in a stronger position right now. 

52 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sony don’t exactly have a good track record with pad reliability, all this new tech is a worry when the basic DS4 is a bit of a shocker reliability wise

Might be just me but I’m always surprised when I hear people say this. My original DS4s have been tanks - they’re still going and have been great in terms of battery and reliability. Meanwhile I’ve had a lot of Joycon issues and my 2-year-old One X controller has drift and short battery life.

14 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Watch Dogs fully uses the DualSense, Assassin’s Creed doesn’t. Assassin’s Creed just sounds like a pretty shit lazy port at the moment from what’s been announced.

At the very least, the many First Party games will fully take advantage of the DualSense, which as well as the haptics and resistant triggers also has the gyro controls, a decent speaker, noise cancelling mic and touch pad, which all provide extra gameplay possibilities. 

I was playing WRC9 the other night and was thinking how much better the game would play, and how much more you would be immersed and connected to what’s happening onscreen, if you could really feel the different road surfaces/conditions and you could really feel the car reacting to them - for example the car struggling for grip on gravel or feel the loss of traction driving on mud. Or how when the car is fucked you could actually feel it’s fucked, not just rely on visual/audio cues or the old “car driving to one side” broken steering stuff you get with most games. Next thing I know, that’s exactly what the DualSense is being touted as providing! :)

If it really does manage to do stuff like that and give that extra connection and feel to the game then, it will be genuinely revolutionary and a major advantage for the PS5 until it’s competitors catch up.

We have had all that and more in driving games for years, you need to try a decent wheel!

43 minutes ago, Radish said:

Then there are potential issues with quick resume. I heard on a podcast that the current gen implementation doesn’t work with Star Wars Squadrons on the Xbox and I’ve had problems before on both systems with performance degrading over time etc. It happens rarely but it does happen. When it takes under 10 seconds to get into a game from the dashboard it doesn’t seem like you’re missing out on much, especially with multiplayer games where you’d get disconnected anyway. 

And after those 9 seconds how long does it take to navigate that menu and then swing across the city to where you were?

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

We have had all that and more in driving games for years, you need to try a decent wheel!

Not everyone has space for a wheel and sometimes games are just better with a pad. Driveclub for example and I suspect Dirt 5 will be the same imo.

46 minutes ago, Radish said:

Saying quick resume is a great idea doesn’t invalidate the PS5’s super fast boot times, you know? They’ve both got their solution to getting you into the games quicker and they’re both equally worthy of praise.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And after those 9 seconds how long does it take to navigate that menu and then swing across the city to where you were?

Very little time in MM if you fast travel. 

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Saying quick resume is a great idea doesn’t invalidate the PS5’s super fast boot times, you know? They’ve both got their solution to getting you into the games quicker and they’re both equally worthy of praise.

How long it takes to start a game doesn’t bother me that much, Spider-Man and LOU2 are a bit long so a reduction is welcome but reducing load times within the game will improve the experience much more imo. I’d probably end up switching QR off anyway if it takes up disk space.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It auto-saves every time you make progress on PS4, and probably even more frequently on PS5 given the quicker SSD access, so probably not long?

Doesn’t XBox quick resume kill the planet with the amount of power it sucks on standby? Would not having a checkpoint anywhere you like be an acceptable trade-off? If it’s the same on the S, I’m not going to use it, especially if it true that a cold boot is on par with a PS5 and also saves on SSD space.

Besides quick resume only works for single player offline games. Everything else will boot you back to same menu as a PS5

Just now, mikeyl said:

Doesn’t XBox quick resume kill the planet with the amount of power it sucks on standby? Would not having a checkpoint anywhere you like be an acceptable trade-off? If it’s the same on the S, I’m not going to use it, especially if it true that a cold boot is on par with a PS5 and also saves on SSD space.

Besides quick resume only works for single player offline games. Everything else will boot you back to same menu as a PS5

Quick Resume shouldn't use any power - apparently it carries across even if the Xbox is unplugged from the wall which would confirm this. Nobody knows why the Xbox Series X is using 20-30 watts on standby (or whether it will apply to retail models at all) but it's nothing to do with quick resume.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Quick Resume shouldn't use any power - apparently it carries across even if the Xbox is unplugged from the wall which would confirm this. Nobody knows why the Xbox Series X is using 20-30 watts on standby (or whether it will apply to retail models at all) but it's nothing to do with quick resume.

Cool. (Like the planet’s core)

20 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Might be just me but I’m always surprised when I hear people say this. My original DS4s have been tanks - they’re still going and have been great in terms of battery and reliability. Meanwhile I’ve had a lot of Joycon issues and my 2-year-old One X controller has drift and short battery life.

I've had four(?) I think DS4s and bits of all of them have stopped working. That and the price of the new ones are putting me off the PS5 in general (especially as xbox controllers will work across generations now)