IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Just now, nevsan said:

So basically I've no way of getting one of these Ps5 thingies or an XboxSeriesX wotsits at launch??? :(

I'd say there's a slim possibility if you get lucky and find somewhere remote that has stock, supermarkets can be good for this. Your local Game is also worth a punt as you may get some cancelled preorders, worth getting your name down on a short list for that (today or tomorrow). Then keep an eye on these threads - some people do have multiple preorders.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:04, spacedinvader said:

I just snagged one from Game a few minutes ago using the refresh trick as discussed here. Seems to be a way to snag one as soon is becomes available as others cancel preorders. Tried for 10 minutes on an iPad with no joy but after switching to MacBook took about a minute. Only works on bundles - I went for PS5 digital + controller. It states that orders after 22/10 aren't guaranteed for launch day but...

22 minutes ago, nevsan said:

So basically I've no way of getting one of these Ps5 thingies or an XboxSeriesX wotsits at launch??? :(

See my quoted post above. Seems to still be working. I’m sure there are a lot of people cancelling uncertain just-in-case 

preorders as we get closer to launch.

Still no idea what my main PS5 launch game will be. Never played a souls game so was going to get that but it's difficulty puts me off, though that post on the past page about the 180 tip videos is swaying me back. On the other hand, I enjoyed Spiderman and the temptation of something 'short and sweet' is appealing. Perhaps just Astroboy is good enough? Another option of course if playing a classic, I never upgraded to PRO and have only just purchased a 4K tv so it could be cool to replay Uncharted4 or GodOfWar.

18 minutes ago, spacedinvader said:

See my quoted post above. Seems to still be working. I’m sure there are a lot of people cancelling uncertain just-in-case 

preorders as we get closer to launch.

I've been giving this a go for a couple of days and not really had much luck. Managed to get a couple of bundles into my basket but couldn't check out despite loads of attempts.

1 minute ago, Reynard said:

Would it not be possible to be at this screen if there isn't stock?  Wavering....

image.png.550792deacc50ea7112be12095baea2d.png

Try and checkout. It probably won't let you. I've been trying for a couple of days.

Without spending any more money than the console, you'll be able to play Astrobot. If you also take PS Plus, you'll also get Bugsnax and then the PS4 collection:

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank 
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Until Dawn
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard

So that's a reasonable list to be getting on with. I'm only getting Miles Morales at launch, and we'll see how things go from there.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've been giving this a go for a couple of days and not really had much luck. Managed to get a couple of bundles into my basket but couldn't check out despite loads of attempts.

Try and checkout. It probably won't let you. I've been trying for a couple of days.

Ive heard the difficult bit is getting it in the basket, but once it’s there you should be able to check out eventually, but yeah, sometimes it takes a while.  According to a couple of posts on that stockinformer discussion I read yesterday anyway. Was strangely easy for me. Good luck. 

33 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Still no idea what my main PS5 launch game will be. Never played a souls game so was going to get that but it's difficulty puts me off, though that post on the past page about the 180 tip videos is swaying me back. On the other hand, I enjoyed Spiderman and the temptation of something 'short and sweet' is appealing. Perhaps just Astroboy is good enough? Another option of course if playing a classic, I never upgraded to PRO and have only just purchased a 4K tv so it could be cool to replay Uncharted4 or GodOfWar.

I really wouldn't let the difficulty put you off. I'm an average at best gamer, but have played and finished most souls games. They're pretty slow paced games that rely more on you figuring out how to approach things rather than quick twitch reactions. Plus you can grind and summon to get help.

On 01/11/2020 at 15:42, Radish said:

Why are you so defensive? The original post said quick resume was Xbox's game changer and I just replied saying why I don't think the PS5 not doing it will matter much. 

I mean, I just watched a video of it taking 10 seconds to swap between Alan Wake and Control with quick resume. In the case of Miles Morales it would actually be faster to load the game than it would be to quick swap. 

Plus, if one of the "cards" is your saved game (I could be wrong but I'm sure I remember Sony saying they want you to be able to load directly into your saved game from the dashboard) then you'd be able to skip the initial 7 second load to the main menu and just go straight into your saved game, so that would be 2 seconds to switch instead. 

Edit: I just realised I may have taken his "game changer" comment too seriously. Oops. 

The only person being defensive is you. You’re trying to use your perceived negatives of one to big up the other.

All I said was that they were both unique but interesting approaches to getting players into their games more quickly. There’s no need to try to make it a competition.

50 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I really wouldn't let the difficulty put you off. I'm an average at best gamer, but have played and finished most souls games. They're pretty slow paced games that rely more on you figuring out how to approach things rather than quick twitch reactions. Plus you can grind and summon to get help.

Also a moderate part of the difficulty in the original games is the lack of fidelity , the lack of definition with the dark colours and the sometimes awful framerate.

Other than that it’s just tight Windows of opportunity, reading the attacks and remembering complex sequences. 

I can say this now as my name is in the credits but I worked on the Dutch localization of this game and it was one of the most challenging things I've ever worked on, as there were so many variables at play and words like friend have a male and female version in Dutch. Getting everything to work was... tough.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

So that's a reasonable list to be getting on with. I'm only getting Miles Morales at launch, and we'll see how things go from there.

Doing the same as i only played the PS4 version for a few hours so start again with the new shinies 

12 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I can say this now as my name is in the credits but I worked on the Dutch localization of this game and it was one of the most challenging things I've ever worked on, as there were so many variables at play and words like friend have a male and female version in Dutch. Getting everything to work was... tough.

FFS I though I was posting in the Watch_Dogs Legion thread. :)

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

I thought you were on about Demon's Souls and thinking what a lazy fucker.

I'm not allowed to say if I worked on that. ;)

Let's just say that Ubi is one of the few publishers that actually puts your name in the credits.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

Also a moderate part of the difficulty in the original games is the lack of fidelity , the lack of definition with the dark colours and the sometimes awful framerate.

Other than that it’s just tight Windows of opportunity, reading the attacks and remembering complex sequences. 

I think crucially, the SSD will pay a massive role in reducing the frustration of Souls games as you won't have to wait to get back in. I recall feeling the same way about Dark Souls, 'You Died' now you wait... 'Loading'. Apparently Demon's is the easier one, and by the sounds of it you'll be able to get all the video hints you could possible need if you do get stuck. It's this and Spider Man for me.

I think my initial playlist will be:

Astro Bot

Miles Morales

Dirt 5

and from the PS Collection a few that I’ve never played

Bloodborne (only just started it mainly to see if I might like Demon’s Souls)
Last Guardian

God Of War

It’s a pretty good list, initially I wasn’t particularly looking forward to a non-VR Astro Bot but it’s the game I’m looking forward to playing the most now following all the DualSense hype. Trying to Platinum Spider-Man too at the moment which is really getting me in the mood for MM.

I hadn’t even planned on pre-ordering a PS5 but my son got a notification that he’d been offered one in a second round of orders from Base (his was already ordered from ShopTo).

Excitement is definitely building.

5 hours ago, nevsan said:

I think if you keep an eye on this thread some will come up.  With lock down hitting (well, England) there is a chance that some stock destined for stores will hit websites.

In normal times, Argos, with a stock checker on their website, is decent for launch stuff, for me anyway.  That may be due to me being in Scotland, I don't know.  They have about 6 or 8 stores within an hours drive of me.  I managed to pick up a ps4 on launch day with no preorder by driving 15 miles, a PS Vita at that same store also at launch with no preorder, an Oculus Quest 1 less than a week after launch (and with 60 quid off!) when they were impossible to get in most game stores with a 35 mile drive, and just got my Quest 2 yesterday from my local branch (although I don't think they are hard to get, the premium head strap thing is in stock, which I think is).

I fear COVID and lock downs will make them all harder to get than usual mind.

4 hours ago, JPL said:

The only person being defensive is you. You’re trying to use your perceived negatives of one to big up the other.

All I said was that they were both unique but interesting approaches to getting players into their games more quickly. There’s no need to try to make it a competition.

image.gif.d314a5782807b91f2bce0630d6902cbc.gif

12 minutes ago, Radish said:

image.gif.d314a5782807b91f2bce0630d6902cbc.gif

Are you being sarcastic? Are you saying that isn't exactly what happened, even though it's typed out for all to see? How strange! :lol:

Overall I think my point was that it gets a bit tiring when people try to find the negatives in things to justify their argument. Why can't you (not just you, obviously) see the positives in both approaches? They're both going to be amazing consoles, with the tech that's in them and I can see this being a brilliant generation with plenty of advancements. I'm excited for both and can't wait to get my hands on them, even though I won't have enough money for a PS5 until sometime next year at the earliest.