Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I remember Warframe being a little underwhelming  at the PS4 launch but apparently the game has come on A LOT since then with significant content and updates. the PS5/PS4 side by side comparison is welcome too. I wonder how many other 'upgraded' games will do the same.

 


A mate of mine loves it, prefers it to Destiny - the upgrade looks amazing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:


A mate of mine loves it, prefers it to Destiny - the upgrade looks amazing!

Yeah, I've heard similar praise from other players who have played since launch, I think there was a major update last year that really elevated it, but I've only ever been a casual observer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Seems EA is firmly in the Microsoft camp at the start of this gen, with EA access added to GamePass and now the XsX updates to current games make me envious - Especially Squadrons... but hey I can hope they do more later, as unlikely as that might be.

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-05-ea-details-next-gen-enhancements-coming-to-star-wars-squadrons-apex-legends-more

 

Not sure what they can do with Squadrons, seeing as it still needs to be flagged as PS4 to enable the PSVR mode, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it's a degree of clarity/focus from having decided not to go with an Xbox Series S after all... but for whatever reason I woke up today really bloody excited about the PS5 launch. Currently writing a list of games I'll have to choose from and considering spending my lunch rearranging the media unit to make its new home.

 

:omg:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

 

Not sure what they can do with Squadrons, seeing as it still needs to be flagged as PS4 to enable the PSVR mode, right?

Maybe but the support for all the other games is - 'Runs like a PS4 Pro'. I guess MS have raised the bar when it comes to what the expectations are for backwards compatibility. I guess I should be thankful that these games run at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Metro website have put up their hardware review early it seems.

 

Edit, plus a review for Miles Morales:

 

Conclusion:

 

In Short: A far better advert for the PS5 than its short length and last gen assets might have suggested, with superior storytelling and more compelling characters than the original. Pros: Highly assured storytelling and presentation, with a great villain and spectacular final act. Ray-tracing works very well amongst the skyscrapers, as does fast-loading and other next gen tricks. Cons: The combat and stealth elements remain very repetitive and overly easy. The amount the game steals from Batman: Arkham is still outrageous. Score: 8/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I'm not sure if it's a degree of clarity/focus from having decided not to go with an Xbox Series S after all... but for whatever reason I woke up today really bloody excited about the PS5 launch. Currently writing a list of games I'll have to choose from and considering spending my lunch rearranging the media unit to make its new home.

 

:omg:

Welcome, a wise choice, the Series S is a great machine but seems to already be showing it's weakness. Series X vs PS5 is a closer call imo and depends on what you are after. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

The Metro website have put up their hardware review early it seems.

Quote

We’ve not got all the launch games in yet to test but nothing so far has caused it to make any unusual amount of noise. It seems to be at least as quiet as the Xbox Series X, with both being effectively silent when you’re sitting at a normal distance from the console.

 

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/06/ps5-console-review-a-positive-start-to-a-new-generation-13545856/?ito=cbshare?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

SILENCE...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems odd to complain about Spiderman being too easy when (in the original Ps4 game, anyway) there are loads of difficulty levels that range from trivial to absolutely brutal. Unless they've changed it massively from the original, the higher difficulty levels are a significant challenge, to the extent that I got absolutely smashed when I went back to it after a year or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 13 Days - Setup videos released
2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Welcome, a wise choice, the Series S is a great machine but seems to already be showing it's weakness Series X vs PS5 is a closer call imo and depends on what you are after. 

Yeah, to be fair the PS5 has been locked in as my primary console choice for a while and I've got the pre-order in for it, but my hope was the Series S would be a suitable upgrade for my ageing Xbox as a second console for Game Pass.

 

I still think it's a great little box, decent spec, really aggressively priced and will be perfect for a lot of people. However it's clear now they are going to have to dial a few things back just a bit more that I'd like to hit those performance targets and - as I have a 4K TV - I know ultimately I'll crave the extra shinies too much. As such I'm just going to wait and buy a Series X when they come back in stock in the New Year.

 

But that does mean I'm fully focused on the PS5 now so I reckon that's probably the reason for the sudden hype injection. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Looks like they have taken it down now. I'm getting a 'page not found'.

Not much to it tbh, I quoted the most important bit - Additionally they covered Quick Resume but it was nebulous and didn't answer the questions most have about it. Activity cards revealed nothing new. The Switcher IS not Quick Resume it's just recently played games.

 

But as silent as a Series X, whilst the PS5 is running Spiderman MM with Raytracing is a good start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Yeah, to be fair the PS5 has been locked in as my primary console choice for a while and I've got the pre-order in for it, but my hope was the Series S would be a suitable upgrade for my ageing Xbox as a second console for Game Pass.

 

I still think it's a great little box, decent spec, really aggressively priced and will be perfect for a lot of people. However it's clear now they are going to have to dial a few things back just a bit more that I'd like to hit those performance targets and - as I have a 4K TV - I know ultimately I'll crave the extra shinies too much. As such I'm just going to wait and buy a Series X when they come back in stock in the New Year.

 

But that does mean I'm fully focused on the PS5 now so I reckon that's probably the reason for the sudden hype injection. :D 

 

Is it? Or are you basing that on games which are cross-gen and not specifically coded for the Series S and are likely to be fairly low-effort ports? That's a pretty short-sighted view.

 

I mean, it may well turn out to the be the case, but to come to that conclusion straight off the bat is bizarre. What console, ever, had top performance right out of the gate, rather than x years down the line?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

Is it? Or are you basing that on games which are cross-gen and not specifically coded for the Series S and are likely to be fairly low-effort ports? That's a pretty short-sighted view.

 

I mean, it may well turn out to the be the case, but to come to that conclusion straight off the bat is bizarre. What console, ever, had top performance right out of the gate, rather than x years down the line?

 

It's got half the memory of the "main" consoles. Of course there will be sacrifices. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles Morales doesn't have 4k60 with Ray tracing does it? 

 

What are the options again? 4k30 with Ray tracing and 4k60 no RT? 

 

I know which one I will be going for. Ray tracing just isn't as important as 60fps for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

specifically coded for the Series S

Are any games ever going to be specifically coded for the Series S?

 

Surely for MS devs the baseline is the Series X, and then scaling that down to the Series S? For 3rd party devs I can imagine the baseline being the PS5, scaling up a little for the Series X, and scaling down again for the Series S. I honestly don't envisage a scenario where games are, as you put it, specifically coded for the Series S. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

Is it? Or are you basing that on games which are cross-gen and not specifically coded for the Series S and are likely to be fairly low-effort ports? That's a pretty short-sighted view.

 

I mean, it may well turn out to the be the case, but to come to that conclusion straight off the bat is bizarre. What console, ever, had top performance right out of the gate, rather than x years down the line?

I'm not knocking it at all, as I said I think it's a great little box (by far the best looking too) and I'm sure it'll be perfect for a lot of people (especially at 1080p). It's just that I do have a 4K TV and I'm luckily in a position where I could afford an X in a few months if I wanted it (and to be honest with a PS5 coming as well I'm not in a massive rush) so I've just decided to wait and go for the full fat one instead. You are right that the current cross-gen games aren't going to be getting the best out of it, but there are always going to be compromises with a system at 35% of the power and that's fine, I've just come to the conclusion that I don't want those compromises :)

 

 

I feel bad even mentioning it in passing now, please everyone let's not turn this into a Series S/Xbox bashing zone. It's all good. Let's talk PlayStation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thor said:

Are any games ever going to be specifically coded for the Series S?

 

Surely for MS devs the baseline is the Series X, and then scaling that down to the Series S? For 3rd party devs I can imagine the baseline being the PS5, scaling up a little for the Series X, and scaling down again for the Series S. I honestly don't envisage a scenario where games are, as you put it, specifically coded for the Series S. 

 

Well probably not, no - I phrased that badly. What I meant was coded solely for the S & X, rather than cross-gen stuff, which is always going to hold both machines back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ry said:

Miles Morales doesn't have 4k60 with Ray tracing does it? 

 

What are the options again? 4k30 with Ray tracing and 4k60 no RT? 

 

I know which one I will be going for. Ray tracing just isn't as important as 60fps for me. 

I don’t think anyone knows for sure at the moment. DigitalFoundry mentioned in a video last week that Insomniac haven’t said either way so far, but 4k60 with RT sounds a little like wishful thinking for an open world launch game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:


Spot on! Great post! Also, AstroBot on PS5, (just like the VR game on PS4), displays a level of quality and creativity that arguably outdoes even Nintendo.

 

:lol:   This is on par with "Driveclub is a Forza killer"

 

It'll age just as well. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Seamonster said:

I don’t think anyone knows for sure at the moment. DigitalFoundry mentioned in a video last week that Insomniac haven’t said either way so far, but 4k60 with RT sounds a little like wishful thinking for an open world launch game. 

 

Seriously? I'm sure I heard it was 60fps 4k. 

 

If it's not I will be really disappointed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.