PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I now really want one and as soon as they're back free flowing in stock I am getting on board - so 2020!  The UI seems so nice as well, the ray tracing looks phenomenal and it really seems like a new step up.  The silence seems like the icing on the cake here to me. 

1 minute ago, Underwurlde said:

Have any of todays video's covered the video setup?

I'm still hoping that 1440p is supported.

Not a video, but DF confirms that sadly it's not:

And yes, no native support for 1440p desktop monitors is also confirmed. I have an AOC AG271QX display, which works just fine at 1440p resolution on Xbox consoles (with VRR functionality, no less) but the same screen tops out at just 1080p on PlayStation 5, meaning that game outputs will be downscaled from 4K, then upscaled by the screen to 1440p. Mileage may well vary on other screens, but I suspect the best you can hope for will be downscaled 2160p from HDMI 2.0-equipped 1440p monitors.

30 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Bit surprised by Digital Foundry’s reveal that the SSD bay is not, as I’d assumed, part of the air flow path of the system fans, and actually seems to be a sealed box with no air flow whatsoever.

But I was told in this thread that lead better was a MS plant and didn’t know what he was talking about.

Just caught up with the DF backwards compatibility video... very impressive. The Series X one was great and I had my own little worries that the PS5 version might be a little half-baked by comparison but it looks really solid.

Given that I'm running a base PS4 at the moment - and this is looking like a genuinely improved version of the PS4 Pro in most cases - I think I could be really pleasantly surprised at how much of a step up it is performance wise, especially as I have quite a few PS4 games still on my list to get through. Bring on the 19th!

I was all up for getting an XSX a few months after launch, but all this talk of how wonderful the controller is, and the UI, not to mention Demon Souls, has me rethinking things.

Hmm.

It's just so bloody big, though! If it was black I really wouldn't mind so much.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I was all up for getting an XSX a few months after launch, but all this talk of how wonderful the controller is, and the UI, not to mention Demon Souls, has me rethinking things.

Hmm.

It's just so bloody big, though! If it was black I really wouldn't mind so much.

There'll be replaceable cover plates out in time for Christmas

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

There'll be replaceable cover plates out in time for Christmas

Will there? I’m wavering on my plan to hold out for a redesign. If there are smaller matte black wings imminent, then I might have to see if I can get one on launch day.

Just being reading the Eurogamer review. The controller and Astrobot sounds like fun! Hopefully the features on the controller will be used in games a bit more this time.

Probably pick one of these up after Christmas time. Still have my old PS4 digital library and that controller looks lovely. Just want to see what content heads its way. 

My desire for a PS5 has gone from non-existent to ‘must have one’ in the last few days. After the shit situation with the Spider-Man remaster, there’s been lots of good news on the backwards compatibility front. PS5 updates for Horizon (which I’ve not yet played) and Naughty Dog’s games would be the icing on the cake. Destruction All-Stars going to PS+ is brilliant, and the reviews of Miles and Astrobot are turning it into a great launch. 

Also in the last two weeks I’ve finished God of War and it’s rocketed into my top 10 of the generation, so Ragnarok is now a day-one essential purchase. I may as well get a PS5 asap as there is clearly no longer any chance of me holding out for a redesign. 

The BC news, reviews of Astrobot & MM, and silent running have convinced me - this will be my next console (and my HTPC won’t be upgraded). 

I don’t have a preorder, hopefully I can grab one before Christmas. I’m still undecided on digital vs disc, I barely used the disc drive on my PS4 but feel I should have something that can play DVDs & Blu-Rays, just in case..

It’s still big and ugly.

So in my excitement I thought I'd pull together the list of PS4/current gen games I'm interested in that I've still yet to play so will become PS5 content. The list is way bigger than I thought it was...

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Ghost of Tsushima

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Death Stranding

- Hollow Knight

- The Last of Us Part 2

- Soma

- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

- Sekiro

- Dark Souls 3

- Uncharted 4

- Life is Strange

- Until Dawn

- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

- Control

Also quite interested in trying...

- Days Gone

- Arkham Knight

- Detroit: Become Human

- Fallout 4

That is a whole lot of games even before adding the new generation stuff and given most of it I either own already, or will be free on the PS+ collection, my immediate gaming future is very well set. All aboard the hype train.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Will there? I’m wavering on my plan to hold out for a redesign. If there are smaller matte black wings imminent, then I might have to see if I can get one on launch day.

A redesign won’t appear for another 3-4 years if it appears at all. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

My desire for a PS5 has gone from non-existent to ‘must have one’ in the last few days. After the shit situation with the Spider-Man remaster, there’s been lots of good news on the backwards compatibility front. PS5 updates for Horizon (which I’ve not yet played) and Naughty Dog’s games would be the icing on the cake. Destruction All-Stars going to PS+ is brilliant, and the reviews of Miles and Astrobot are turning it into a great launch. 

Also in the last two weeks I’ve finished God of War and it’s rocketed into my top 10 of the generation, so Ragnarok is now a day-one essential purchase. I may as well get a PS5 asap as there is clearly no longer any chance of me holding out for a redesign. 

I came to a similar conclusion a couple of weeks ago. Having thought a Series X was a no brainer, Sony have really won me over with the controller, lineup and generally just the console feeling new and exciting.

With the current launch lineup and Horizon and Ragnarok coming next year they’ve got an incredible set of games for the next 12 months. 

I’m almost as excited about Ghost of Tshushima at 60fps as I am about playing Spider-Man. 

5 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

So in my excitement I thought I'd pull together the list of PS4/current gen games I'm interested in that I've still yet to play so will become PS5 content. The list is way bigger than I thought it was...

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Death Stranding

- Hollow Knight

- The Last of Us Part 2

- Soma

- Sekiro

- Dark Souls 3

- Uncharted 4

- Life is Strange

- Until Dawn

- Control

- Days Gone

- Arkham Knight

- Fallout 4

That is a whole lot of games even before adding the new generation stuff and given most of it I either own already, or will be free on the PS+ collection, my immediate gaming future is very well set. All aboard the hype train.

I've played most of these. Want my opinions on them!? Sure, no problem:

• Horizon Zero Dawn is very pretty but a touch soulless.
  • Death Stranding is 20-30 hours of entirely compelling hiking simulator gaming crack bookended by about 10 hours of heinous, story-led, oh my god why won't it end bollocks.
  • Hollow Knight is the best fucking thing ever play it now for fuck sake why arent you playing it right fucking now
  • Last of Us Part 2 is my GOTY.
  • Soma is better than Amnesia. More bleak and depressing than scary, but in a good way.
  • MGS5 is brilliant, until you realise it's not finished.
  • Sekiro is excellent but it'll make you cry hot salty man tears until you beg for more punishment please daddy.
  • DS3 refines the combat from the first two games to a fine art, and has some brilliant locations, but they balls up the story big time.
  • Uncharted 4 is the best in class at what it does.
  • Life is Strange is perfectly fun, schlocky, 90s-era, choose-your-own adventure horror. Best played with someone else in a pass-the-pad multiplayer scenario.
  • Control is very good looking but I found it a bit sterile and ultimately quite dull. Other people adore it.
  • Days Gone I lasted about 3 hours with before throwing in the towel. Dull, and not a game to be played after TLOU2.
  • Arkham Knight builds on Arkham City in many ways but is a bit baggy. I saw it through but didn't have any compunction to do the optional stuff. Asylum remains the best of the three. Tight as a nun's chuff.

Some great games there. You're in for a treat!

16 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Death Stranding

- Hollow Knight

- The Last of Us Part 2

- Soma

- Sekiro

- Dark Souls 3

- Uncharted 4

- Life is Strange

- Until Dawn

- Control

- Days Gone

- Arkham Knight

- Fallout 4

You’re lucky to have some amazing games on your not played list. 

H:ZD, MGS5 and TLOU2 are astoundingly good

OK, I need one of these now.  Dual Sense, Astrobot and Miles Morales - they all sounds really good. I've got my fingers crossed some stock will appear before Christmas, because it'll make the perfect stocking filler. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

OK, I need one of these now.  Dual Sense, Astrobot and Miles Morales - they all sounds really good. I've got my fingers crossed some stock will appear before Christmas, because it'll make the perfect stocking filler. 

How big is your stocking!?!

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Gonna need a pretty big fucking stocking tbh

Edit: Dammit Akira