PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

36 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Any reason my old PS4 PS3 OG Gold Headset won't work with PS5. The ear pads and headrest need replacing but that's way cheaper than a new headset. I think someone here posted that same headset and they had replaced the ear pads was considering doing the same.

As far as I know it'll work fine and support Tempest 3D.

I hadn't really thought about replacing the perishing bits but I've just found this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-PlayStation-Wireless-Headphone-Headband/dp/B083GPLMNZ

Definitely an option!

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

If anyone sees the Pulse Headset come back into stock anywhere can you please post up (and ideally @me?). Very tempted to jump in as my old set is really starting to fall apart now and initial reviews sound pretty good.

GAME's website is still taking preorders but I don't know whether they actually have stock for that or not. I had the headset preordered at ShopTo and just noticed earlier its status changed to "backorder" (without them notifying me).

14 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

As far as I know it'll work fine and support Tempest 3D.

I hadn't really thought about replacing the perishing bits but I've just found this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-PlayStation-Wireless-Headphone-Headband/dp/B083GPLMNZ

Definitely an option!

I may have to take a trawl through the pages here and see if I can find the person who did this already. 

16 minutes ago, Reynard said:

I've got a PS5 on order and still have a 1080p Samsung from 2010 that I'll be using it on.

I'm one of those who doesn't change/upgrade stuff until the one I have breaks or the jump up is so big as to be unmissable.

I kept my iphone 4 going for 8 years until it could no longer carry on before upgrading that, for a pig headed example.

Maybe the fact that I don't think I've seen a console running on a 4k display keeps me comfortably ignorant of what I'm missing out on.

Trouble for me now is that it feels like not the best time to buy a new display. I know OLED is the one to get, but I can't justify 1500 quid + for one.

I'm thinking of the new consoles more along the lines of what @Harrisown was saying - I'll be 60fps-ing/RT-ing it up on my 1080p. I might even appreciate my more limited options in that respect.

Certainly, if this could be the first generation to actually deliver a 60fps experience as some sort of backbone, it will be probably enough for me. 

I used to be into TV's, but once it moved outside of 1080p, I'm totally lost now. The amount of things that need considering now in the 4K is utterly baffling to me, and I used to understand everything from composite to component!

Just now, Quexex said:

I may have to take a trawl through the pages here and see if I can find the person who did this already. 

I've just checked my headset and the headband bit bit isn't as bad as I thought so I've just ordered a pair of replacement black pads on Prime for £10.

Should be here Friday and I'll pop them straight on and let you know how they are.

56 minutes ago, Reynard said:

I've got a PS5 on order and still have a 1080p Samsung from 2010 that I'll be using it on.

I'm one of those who doesn't change/upgrade stuff until the one I have breaks or the jump up is so big as to be unmissable.

I kept my iphone 4 going for 8 years until it could no longer carry on before upgrading that, for a pig headed example.

Maybe the fact that I don't think I've seen a console running on a 4k display keeps me comfortably ignorant of what I'm missing out on.

Trouble for me now is that it feels like not the best time to buy a new display. I know OLED is the one to get, but I can't justify 1500 quid + for one.

I'm thinking of the new consoles more along the lines of what @Harrisown was saying - I'll be 60fps-ing/RT-ing it up on my 1080p. I might even appreciate my more limited options in that respect.

For what it’s worth, my Philips OLED can be had for a smidge less than £1k - 55 inch, smart, support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision - the only drawbacks are the fairly rubbish user interface and lack of support for 120Hz, so if you can stomach the high outlay you don’t actually need to go much higher than that to get a decent entry level OLED. 

(I’m sure someone will be along in a moment to explain why it’s a shit tv and I should kill myself for owning one)

That would throw up a slightly different conundrum for me as, even though a grand is better than 1500, I wouldn't spend that much on something considered entry-level, if that is the price. For many, having the best display is what they're into and they're prepared to spend those sums, but I'm only ever thinking about nice displays when gaming, not TV or movies, so it doesn't get as much value for me as it would others.

I appreciate that spending high on newer tech goes with the territory in virtually any tech product arena and you have to jump on the carousel at some point or you'll be waiting forever, but this period for displays to me is one where it feels like it needs to settle down again a bit - 4k was crazy expensive, but is now standard, just like OLED will be eventually (if not ever being quite 'standard', but certainly will become more affordable than current).

Having said that, if my 10 year-old, massive-framed Sammy goes pop tomorrow, it would probably be the most likely time for me to entertain that figure for a new telly, as it would really hammer home the next gen feels.

I do sit there on occasion, staring at it and almost willing it to break down, but it marches on, only periodically switching itself off on startup during the colder months!

53 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I've just checked my headset and the headband bit bit isn't as bad as I thought so I've just ordered a pair of replacement black pads on Prime for £10.

Should be here Friday and I'll pop them straight on and let you know how they are.

I’m gonna go for the pulse headset I think. They sound like pretty good value and include the seamless voice chat integration of the gold headset (that my daughter snapped like a wishbone while looking directly into my eyes).

My ideal scenario was a new pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones that just work with everything but that’s apparently some mental fever dream. 

6 minutes ago, Reynard said:

That would throw up a slightly different conundrum for me as, even though a grand is better than 1500, I wouldn't spend that much on something considered entry-level, if that is the price. For many, having the best display is what they're into and they're prepared to spend those sums, but I'm only ever thinking about nice displays when gaming, not TV or movies, so it doesn't get as much value for me as it would others.

I appreciate that spending high on newer tech goes with the territory in virtually any tech product arena and you have to jump on the carousel at some point or you'll be waiting forever, but this period for displays to me is one where it feels like it needs to settle down again a bit - 4k was crazy expensive, but is now standard, just like OLED will be eventually (if not ever being quite 'standard', but certainly will become more affordable than current).

Having said that, if my 10 year-old, massive-framed Sammy goes pop tomorrow, it would probably be the most likely time for me to entertain that figure for a new telly, as it would really hammer home the next gen feels.

I do sit there on occasion, staring at it and almost willing it to break down, but it marches on, only periodically switching itself off on startup during the colder months!

Wait! Just wait wait wait.

With the new consoles coming out, the manufacturing costs of the sets that take advantage of them should come way down as they have a way bigger market to sell to now. (OLEDs were due to come down on price this year anyway but covid obviously affected that)

A lot of the features these high-end TVs have will be standard within 2021 I reckon.

10 hours ago, Quexex said:

Hmmmm, this is why being a week away from launch might be better as there may be some hotfixes incoming. At least it's not smoking!

To be clear - I expect similar 'isolated' reports of failures on PS5 just like there were on PS4, PS3, 360, XBone etc...

i just think half this stuff is utter bullshit.

Already saw a video of a guy saying his Xbox is broken when in actual fact he broke embargo and Microsoft bricked it remotely.

6 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Were you transferring via a direct ethernet connection between the two?

Nope. They are in different rooms. 

Plugged a USB with update on to PS4 which seemed to fix it. Now trying the transfer again 

3 hours ago, ThePinkNinja said:

Question for you... what games you getting a 2nd controller for?

Curious if there's any games me and the mrs can play together but didn't really appear to be any so not sure about getting an extra controller. Ta

The controller from Smyths was an impulse order because they had it priced at £49.99 as opposed to £59.99. Having said that I am sure both of my girls will carry on enjoying Terraria, Minecraft & Fortnite. Me? I’m a lazy bugger and just like the convenience of having a 2nd controller fully charged.

1 hour ago, IainGamer said:

What are the chances of any retailers shipping early given they have PS5s in stock and the machine out in other regions today?? 

Can always be hopeful!!! 

Depends. If said retailer never, ever wants to sell Sony products again: yes, there is.

12 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I did this a couple of months ago for the cups. They're noticeably less padded than the originals but still absolutely fine. I then did the same with my lad's white pair. Better than spending a pile of cash on another set.