PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Currently playing Prey as it's my only backlog game not listed as compatible, it got an update yesterday and is now listed as compatible. I've read before patch it was crashing on load but it's now playable with only minor flickering on some materials.

Everybody's Golf has also received an update and is now listed as compatible.

5 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Has anyone backed up their PS4 shoite to a USB hard drive? I've just bought a new USB3 drive which claims to have a data transfer rate of 1Gb/s and it's trickling across at what looks like 40Mb increments. It's going to take 4hrs+ (although it is moving 750Gb of stuff).

Nope I am not going to bother. Will sign in to an empty console and just download/update titles when needed. My list at the moment is

1. Ghost of Tshushima (I've had this sat on the shelf for ages can't wait to start playing it)

2. Journey (I love it, of course it is going to be the first PS5 game I complete).

3. No Mans Sky (This should be glorious on the PS5)

4. Monster Hunter World (This is the weekly game I play with friends and it makes my PS5 Pro fan go into overdrive, should be a great test to see if the console is silent)

3 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Has anyone backed up their PS4 shoite to a USB hard drive? I've just bought a new USB3 drive which claims to have a data transfer rate of 1Gb/s and it's trickling across at what looks like 40Mb increments. It's going to take 4hrs+ (although it is moving 750Gb of stuff).

Make sure you’re using a USB 3.0 cable... 

I moved about 1.5tb over and have been running off the usb drive for the last few weeks. Feels easily as quick as the ssd I fitted into the ps4. (Although did use a random cable I had to start and had to order a decent one to get up to speed).

23 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's some proprietary cable that came with the drive. I bought this because I thought my old drive was knackered as it was going at about the same speed. 

This one? USB 3.0 micro-B. (The monster that was replaced by USB-C.)

image.png.7a431c38460be5d63e7b81d39a78667c.png

Isn't the PS4 famously quite limited in how quickly it can read from its own hard drive? Maybe that's the issue, not writing to your external one.

Yeah, I thought about transferring stuff across via usb for my Xbox, but I didn’t and I glad I didn’t. 

save is going to be a premium, and I think only downloading things I’m actively playing is the way to manage that. 

In a way could be a backlog of shame preventor. Can only buy a new game when finished with enough games that I’ve hard drive space to buy them. 

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This one? USB 3.0 micro-B. (The monster that was replaced by USB-C.)

image.png.7a431c38460be5d63e7b81d39a78667c.png

Isn't the PS4 famously quite limited in how quickly it can read from its own hard drive? Maybe that's the issue, not writing to your external one.

That's the one. Hopefully it'll be a bit quicker transferring it to the PS5. 

One thing to check would be whether you've actually plugged in the PS4 end all the way. The way that those USB 3.0 plugs (on the left) are designed, if they're not plugged in all the way you only get USB 2.0 speeds. Don't do it mid-copy of course.

50 minutes ago, gospvg said:

4. Monster Hunter World (This is the weekly game I play with friends and it makes my PS5 Pro fan go into overdrive, should be a great test to see if the console is silent)

Will also be a great speed test as MHW has frequent loooong loading, going to and from Guiding Lands being a particular offender. 

22 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

??? What website has stock?

Walmart and yes @Wiper, US.

They're putting them up up four times today. Along with random stock from other retailers, all online only though. Scalpers/bots paradise!

52 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

If you’d said yes, what would it have transferred over? Games?

yeah, I think it would just be games that were installed on my ps4? I'm really not the kind of consumer who cares, if I really really want to play recent indie games I played I'll just download it again, it's fine. I have a FAT ps4 so would only ever have 1 or 2 AAA games installed.

4 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Just a warning the PS5 has a 'first time startup' sequence that can't be seen again after it's done it flags it in the bios as done and won't do it again.

It's like the Big Bang of gaming, make sure your TV's on and connected to the right input so you get to experience the glory.

That is just lovely - I could watch it over and over!

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

Wow the new playstation store website is soooo slow, and shit. Not surprise you are all complaining about it, I used to nip in snag PSPlus games and add them to my library in seconds... Now it's a sluggish nightmare.

I like the fact that now you can just add games to your PS+ library rather than have to add them to the basket and then check out to be told you saved 60 quid.

3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

In the end it "only" took 3 hours. I guess Sony must be using Microsoft minutes.