PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

I'd seen some videos saying that the PS5 was running silent. Mine seems to have a constant buzz when on or in rest mode.

Looking online, appears to be possibly coil whine. Just wondering if I'm the only one? :facepalm:

Yeah mine is making some noise but nothing compared to my jet engined Pro

LG C9 here and... you definitely need to give the settings a whirl with the PS5. Dead Cells was running unbelievably choppy, and apparently choice of HDMI port and all sorts of stuff can make things look, not exactly impressive.

Resetera has a guide here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/lg-2017-2020-oleds-suggested-settings-for-xbox-one-series-x-s-ps4-ps5-and-webos-sdr-hdr-dv.73304/

Going to dive in after work. But man, dat controller when its innards go to town...! :D

16 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

I'd seen some videos saying that the PS5 was running silent. Mine seems to have a constant buzz when on or in rest mode.

Looking online, appears to be possibly coil whine. Just wondering if I'm the only one? :facepalm:

Mine has coil whine too, seems really common. Does it get louder when playing a game?

13 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Yeah seems to kick in more when a game is being played.

I think I was just wanting reassurance that I didn't have a dud!

It shouldn't affect the lifespan, I'm just going to live with it. I think they probably all have it to a degree (sensitivity to it differs between people as well).

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

It shouldn't affect the lifespan, I'm just going to live with it. I think they probably all have it to a degree (sensitivity to it differs between people as well).

Yeah, I don't think my mild OCD helps with it! So much quieter than my PS4 though, so I can actually crack on with playing some games. My PS4 hardly got any use due to the fan noise, even with headphones on!

Played a few levels of Astrobot. The game itself is a cute little platform romp. Lots of PS nostalgia, big, bright, colourful and fun. But all the hype has been about how it shows off the controller and I'm a bit more mixed on this.

The haptics are good but they feel like HD Rumble+ to me. Can't help but wonder if some of the people raving about it have forgotten what HD Rumble was actually capable of. I couldn't blame them because hardly any devs use it anymore but this just feels like a bit more of an advanced version of that. It's best in class for what it is but it's not really anything I feel like I haven't felt before.

The adaptive triggers I'm not sure if I like. Here's the crux of it - do I really want to feel like I'm fighting the triggers, or rather having to exert undue force on them, constantly during a game? I'm really not sure I do. Surely you want any trigger or button press to just feel simple and easy and instinctive? For the controller just to get out of your way? The adaptive triggers run counter to this. You use the jetpack with the triggers in AstroBot, for example, but to keep the jetpack going it almost feels fatiguing, because to simulate the feel of the jetpack thrusters you have to exert more force on the triggers than you would a standard controller.

In very small doses, used well, I can see the appeal but over extended periods of play I can see people's fingers becoming fatigued if the game uses the adaptive triggers a lot. In fact, I have already dropped the intensity of them down to medium in the system settings.

So yeah, bit mixed given this was the big showcase game for the controller. It's neat and it's best in class at what it is but this whole thing about the controller being revolutionary...I don't see it. Or, more accurately, I don't feel it. And I can see the triggers in particular being tiring. I did wonder, when everyone was going on about what a revolution they were, whether the controller would sway whether I bought games on the Xbox or PS. I feel like I can say confidentially at this point that they won't but that they will be a reasonable novelty in the games that use the hardware well and don't overdo it.

7 minutes ago, Majora said:

Played a few levels of Astrobot. The game itself is a cute little platform romp. Lots of PS nostalgia, big, bright, colourful and fun. But all the hype has been about how it shows off the controller and I'm a bit more mixed on this.

The haptics are good but they feel like HD Rumble+ to me. Can't help but wonder if some of the people raving about it have forgotten what HD Rumble was actually capable of. I couldn't blame them because hardly any devs use it anymore but this just feels like a bit more of an advanced version of that. It's best in class for what it is but it's not really anything I feel like I haven't felt before.

The adaptive triggers I'm not sure if I like. Here's the crux of it - do I really want to feel like I'm fighting the triggers, or rather having to exert undue force on them, constantly during a game? I'm really not sure I do. Surely you want any trigger or button press to just feel simple and easy and instinctive? For the controller just to get out of your way? The adaptive triggers run counter to this. You use the jetpack with the triggers in AstroBot, for example, but to keep the jetpack going it almost feels fatiguing, because to simulate the feel of the jetpack thrusters you have to exert more force on the triggers than you would a standard controller.

In very small doses, used well, I can see the appeal but over extended periods of play I can see people's fingers becoming fatigued if the game uses the adaptive triggers a lot. In fact, I have already dropped the intensity of them down to medium in the system settings.

So yeah, bit mixed given this was the big showcase game for the controller. It's neat and it's best in class at what it is but this whole thing about the controller being revolutionary...I don't see it. Or, more accurately, I don't feel it. And I can see the triggers in particular being tiring. I did wonder, when everyone was going on about what a revolution they were, whether the controller would sway whether I bought games on the Xbox or PS. I feel like I can say confidentially at this point that they won't but that they will be a reasonable novelty in the games that use the hardware well and don't overdo it.

Great feedback. Interesting to get another viewpoint on the controller.

In the end the features are built into the controller I guess so its another option devs can use to offer another level of immersion if people want it which I guess can be disabled for those that don't. 

Think my Steam controller has harptic feedback on the pads - which was interesting to start with then got fed up with it. Felt like a gimmick - as was the rumble in the triggers of the Xbox One controllers.

Where I think the DualSense will come into its own a bit is with the next iteration PSVR. Interesting to see what Sony do with all this.

2 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

My PS5 kindly informs me that my TV doesn't support HDR. This is news to me, I've been using HDR since I bought the set.

:unsure:

Are you using the same HDMI port you used previously? Sometimes the different ports are of a different spec or require you to enable certain display features from the TV's menu.

3 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Are you using the same HDMI port you used previously? Sometimes the different ports are of a different spec or require you to enable certain display features from the TV's menu.

I'm not, actually. Using the port from the defunct FreeSat box that was here (non-HDR_

40 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Apparently coil whine can go away after a few weeks. At least according to bods at Resetera. Although they all have an air of Homer chasing the runaway barbeque pig about them.

Coil whine is a natural function of running powerful electronics at a high speed, is what I was always led to believe with graphics cards (as in: it won't go away). There will be variance in how noticeable it is though so may be more or less obtrusive depending on how hard the machine is being pushed. @layten could probably give a more technical/better answer.

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Coil whine is a natural function of running powerful electronics at a high speed, is what I was always led to believe with graphics cards (as in: it won't go away). There will be variance in how noticeable it is though so may be more or less obtrusive depending on how hard the machine is being pushed. @layten could probably give a more technical/better answer.

Also as you get older you probably won't hear it anyway as the frequency response of your ears reduces over time... win for older gamers! :D 

Ah, it arrived. Lovely stuff. mostly just set it up, added the PS Plus Collection games to my library and started the downloads of the media apps/games I want on there. Once my wife and I are finished work we'll play Astro's Playroom together.

Nice that you can see the playtime for your games now; Street Fighter V leads with 1239 hours (then 500+ for Ultra Street Fighter IV).

I F5'd all morning. Every site out there. Finally gave up and took the dog for walk. While the dog was shitting outside the job centre I got a distill.io alert on my watch telling me it was in stock at amazon (I'm refreshing the page every 5 mins). I whipped out my phone and hammered the buy now button but kept getting looped into "removed from basket". Eventually it stuck and I now have an order for tomorrow!

I've still got my Currys cheeky 3am order which has just been honoured/confirmed despite them explicitly telling everyone they would be cancelled (now we know why this morning was such a disaster, they were all sold out by 9AM). And my EE order. Both are on for delivery by the 15th December. So I've got three PS5s on order now. Whoops.