PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Just now, catinthehat said:

Nope, I've only got two games - Miles and Demon's.  Both disc.  Installed and updated both, played some Miles, went to play some DS and it was uninstalled.  

Thanks, it was a hypothesis I had that is clearly not correct. It's very odd behaviour for files to get randomly deleted though. If it happens again, try Safe Mode, Rebuild database and see if it reappears (as it fixes the download queue issue maybe it's a cure- all).

Which as a hypothesis goes seems to be more likely that the UI has 'lost' the file rather than it being gone from the SSD. Rebuilding the database would fix that.

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

Really - not tried it yet but if so then yes - but suspect that will get sorted pretty quickly.

I imagine this is Disneys Developers rather than a PS5 specific issue. Both Disney + and Apple TV pale in comparison to even first-gen netflix which is shocking considering the size of them. Apple TV can't even deliver 4K streams without a weirdly distracting rainbow coloured cycling bar at the bottom of the screen. Also not all content on Disney+ is 4K.

Just now, Quexex said:

I imagine this is Disneys Developers rather than a PS5 specific issue. Both Disney + and Apple TV pale in comparison to even first-gen netflix which is shocking considering the size of them. Apple TV can't even deliver 4K streams without a weirdly distracting rainbow coloured cycling bar at the bottom of the screen. Also not all content on Disney+ is 4K.

Just tried one of the latest Pixar movies on Disney+ and it seems to be 4k with HDR?

Used the card guides earlier to pick up a few artefacts and jigsaw pieces in Astrobot... really useful feature and well implemented... I’d have only trawled YouTube for the same info, so it really saves some effort.

Being able to jump straight into that section really sped the process up too.

Really hope this stuff gets put into games regularly, it’s a really nice feature.

9 minutes ago, Quexex said:

what are you using Apple TV on to get the rainbow bar? I’ve never seen that. 

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Getting fed up of games uninstalling or telling me there's a different version installed when I reinsert a disc.

People are having the same problem with digital versions. 

Sony need to get their shit in order. Why charge £70 for a game if people can't play it. Also, having to redownload massive updates every time is a pisstake. 

Next gen starts here! 

Have the trophy video clips been mentioned?

Just noticed that it automatically makes a 15 sec clip when you get a trophy, I like them but they take up a fair bit of space. My Astro's playroom media folder is nearly 500MB and I've only got 15 trophies.

You can transfer them to USB or turn them off via Captures and Broadcasts in the settings.

So after my late night TV bench reconstruction effort (thanks for the likes by the way :) ) I didn't actually get to play any games unfortunately...

Once the PS5 was up and running I set the PS4 to transfer over my save data (which said it was going to 27 minutes) so I had a whisky and promptly fell asleep on the sofa. I woke up about 3:30am to an error screen saying there had been a transfer issue and the PS5 was being reset back to factory settings. Pretty irritating, but I decided just to sack it off and go to bed.

This morning however I fired her up for next-gen take two and it's gone much better, set it all up again and used a LAN connection to move my saves and games, and then started a circa 300GB download queue going while finally firing up a game...  here are some first impressions...

Astrobot

What an adorable, great looking and feeling and ultimately fun little game that is! I've never played any Astro before so the little guy was totally new to me, but I can see the appeal. Several hours in during this morning and I've fully completed 2 zones and have most of a 3rd done. Really having lots of fun with it and the game also really does show the controller off well.

DualSense

Overall I'm really liking the DualSense (definitely improvement over the DS4) but I would agree with those that are scratching their heads slightly at all the preview press making it sound truly revolutionary. It isn't, it is basically HD Rumble+ with funky triggers, but those things do work well and the differentiation in feel is good and adds to the experience. I'm glad it is all there and I can see devs having fun with it (the vending machine in Astro is a lovely example of the feedback working well). The feeling was perhaps a little less "wow" than I had hoped for. I'm not disappointed at all though and the pad in general I really like playing with straight off the bat.

First game completion of the generation

After my 4yo son came from from school he wanted to see it in action so I decided to give him the choice of the usual three games... Abzu, Flower and of course Journey. He chose the latter and we have just sat through an entire play through together - which was a lovely thing - and I can officially say the first game I've completed on my PS5 is Journey and that is no bad thing at all. We even picked up three more trophies along the way.

UI impressions

Just to jump in on the discussion about the UI... it is a bit clunky. I think some of that is unfamiliarity (but while almost being familiar enough it puts you off), but some of it is just plain clunky. I'm kind of getting used to it now, but there are some sections where the bumpers let you move across tabs, and then on a similar screen won't. I struggled to find some bits here and there too (but mostly fine now) and I did have that transfer crash issue, and also a problem where my wifi connection totally stopped so I had to restart. However... it is lightning fast for me (even the store) and I'm actually finding the cards more useful than I thought on Astro. We'll see how it manifests in other games.

Hardware impressions

It's bloody big and I still don't like it. As posted in my previous pic though I don't really have to look at it so that is fine. What I would say is it does feel quick, totally silent for me 99% of the time (heard the fan spin up for about 10 seconds while it was finalising a download/install and also running the Journey credits at the same time - but that was still very quiet) and haven't heard any of this coil noise some people are reporting. It also seems to be running cool, the ambient temperature in my cabinet was something I was concerned about but it is miles miles cooler than when the PS4 was running (or even if I'm pushing the Sky box to be honest). If it stays like that I'm a happy camper on that front.

Overall impressions

I bloody love it and I'm so glad I ordered one. In my excitement last night I caved and bought Demon Souls with the 20% discount on Boss Deals so that should be here Monday and I can't wait to get started as I have the week off to get my teeth stuck into it. Happy gaming folks, the next-gen is here. :D 

I just finished Astrobot. It’s excellent. I think the controller is “next gen” but maybe not revolutionary. I wouldn’t want to go back now and hope a lot of games support the feedback features rather than last gen where I turned rumble off and even took the rumble packs out of my controllers.

They need to do a deal with SEGA and get these guys to make a Sonic game. Surely they could figure it out.

I still hate the UI on this new console though. It’s Xbox One Levels of bad.

I recorded 30 seconds of video (that whole thing is worse too) and then edited it down to a handful of seconds. Not a smooth experience. I then sent it to a friend via messages but then that made me think.....where the hell is messages.

Of course you have to find the friends list which is now game base and press options on their name.....actually I’m not sure that’s right.

ITS SO BAD

I've not really paid attention to the PS5's internals, but reading this...does this mean the internal SSD 825GB drive will always stay at this size (seeing as its at the optimal size by reading between the lines)? Unless there is a major hardware revision later on down the line?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_5#Storage_architecture

The internal storage of the PlayStation 5 is a custom-built 825 GB SSD (667 GB available)[32] with a 12-channel interface, achieving a raw throughput of 5.5 GB/s. This atypical drive size was found to be optimal for the 12-channel pathway rather than a more common 512 GB or 1 TB unit. With a dedicated decompression unit supporting zlib and the new Oodle Kraken protocol from RAD Game Tools, the unit has a typical throughput of 8–9 GB/s.[25] Mark Cerny stated that a fast SSD was the top request from game developers so the goal not only was to have a theoretical raw read speed 100 times faster than PS4, but to eliminate input/output (I/O) bottleneck points so the performance target could be made effective. To this end, Sony designed a custom chip with multiple coprocessors to work in unison with the flash memory controller to reduce latency and channel data more efficiently around the system. At peak, the custom unit is capable of processing up to 22 GB/s of compressible data.[33] The internal SSD is not user-serviceable, since its flash memory chips and controller are built into the PlayStation 5's motherboard.[34]

26 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Anyone know if that Type C port on the front would charge a controller via a C to C cable?  I want to have my headset adapter plugged into the Type A port.

Yes. I used the C to C cable from my iPad with it.

I just got all the puzzle pieces and artefacts in Playroom with the help of the card system.

It’s really cool for this kinda thing.

There are a bunch of hidden achievements I’m going to have to research. 
So far thought I’ve looked at stuff and said to myself “Trophy for doing that...” and bang, there’s a Trophy.

Really impressed with this game. It’s pure old school gaming magic. And some levels look fantastic in hdr.

5 hours ago, Quexex said:

Thanks, it was a hypothesis I had that is clearly not correct. It's very odd behaviour for files to get randomly deleted though. If it happens again, try Safe Mode, Rebuild database and see if it reappears (as it fixes the download queue issue maybe it's a cure- all).

Which as a hypothesis goes seems to be more likely that the UI has 'lost' the file rather than it being gone from the SSD. Rebuilding the database would fix that.

I kept finding spiderman would uninstall after every time i took it out, seen the Playstation UK twitter account saying not to click on copy when you put the disc in as it will do that itself, i left it to do thre copying on its own and its not uninstalled since.

A couple of probs for me.

I have my MacBook Pro charger next to my seat that will charge my MacBook (obv) Switch Pro controller, Elite 2 (though use the included charge dock) and any other USB-C I need to charge.........except for the PS5 pad. :unsure:

Next, quite a few of my PS4 games I have on a SSD plugged into the PS5 decided to redownload but on trying them don't use my game saves.

Doesn't seem to matter if they are disc or digital purchase as it has happened with Days Gone (bought digital) and Gran Tourismo (disc) amongst others.

I've deleted them and re-downloaded the digital and reinstalled from disc the others. Haven't had time to see if my saves now work but what a faff! And if my saves don't work I'll be proper fucked off!

3 minutes ago, Pug said:

I have my MacBook Pro charger next to my seat that will charge my MacBook (obv) Switch Pro controller, Elite 2 (though use the included charge dock) and any other USB-C I need to charge.........except for the PS5 pad. :unsure:

Next, quite a few of my PS4 games I have on a SSD plugged into the PS5 decided to redownload but on trying them don't use my game saves.

Doesn't seem to matter if they are disc or digital purchase as it has happened with Days Gone (bought digital) and Gran Tourismo (disc) amongst others.

I've deleted them and re-downloaded the digital and reinstalled from disc the others. Haven't had time to see if my saves now work but what a faff! And if my saves don't work I'll be proper fucked off!

I read somewhere (GT Planet maybe) with GT Sport to ensure your saves are copied to your PS5 first before you install the game.

I don't understand how the OS prioritises cards for the game you're playing. For Astrobot it kept prioritising cards for levels I'd already 100% over levels I hadn't. I thought it was meant to be smarter than that and present you first with objectives you hadn't done yet. 

In Demon's Souls the card system is a lot more pared back, understandably, but it's still telling me what the reward is for completing the level I'm on. I really don't want to know stuff like that... In a Souls game it really doesn't matter much, it's probably just a boss soul or something, but in a game I've never played before if a quest or level had a unique or cool reward I think I'd be annoyed to see stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Pug said:

I got my pad last week.

Iphone charger and iPad charger didn’t work. Only plugging it into the PS4 charged it.

I got the platinum and all the other trophies for Astro playroom. Excellent game really.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!