Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

How are people finding the Dualsense battery life? I have two controllers and I've already swapped between them multiple times since Thursday. I have been using the machine quite a bit admittedly but that still feels like a lot in 5 days? It doesn't seem that much better than the battery in the Dualshock 4 was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Majora said:

How are people finding the Dualsense battery life? I have two controllers and I've already swapped between them multiple times since Thursday. I have been using the machine quite a bit admittedly but that still feels like a lot in 5 days? It doesn't seem that much better than the battery in the Dualshock 4 was. 

 

I got about 5-6 hours on them when playing Spiderman on a full charge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

@Spacehost No success with some tinkering around the fan casing etc.

 

Spoke to another chap at support who I had a bit more luck with, and like you am now waiting for a call back from a supervisor/manager to potentially organise a repair!

As luck would have it I’m now okay with the fan noise, but now I’ve noticed the coil whine in performance mode in Demon’s Souls, I’m utterly ruined. You can sort of tune it out a bit, but it’s like having a miniature substation in your TV cabinet. Quietest PlayStation my ass, even my launch PS3 and PS4 were quieter than this new, God knows what it’ll sound like in five years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

As luck would have it I’m now okay with the fan noise, but now I’ve noticed the coil whine in performance mode in Demon’s Souls, I’m utterly ruined. You can sort of tune it out a bit, but it’s like having a miniature substation in your TV cabinet. Quietest PlayStation my ass, even my launch PS3 and PS4 were quieter than this new, God knows what it’ll sound like in five years.


If you’ve put your PS5 in a TV cabinet that’s more than likely going to make the sound seem louder/worse. The sound will be reverberating around in the enclosed space and be more directional, potentially making the offending frequencies seem louder to you. You would be better putting the console behind your TV if possible, so that the TV itself forms a barrier between you and the console/sound and the sound has space to dissipate away from you.

 

Seen loads of people complaining of issues and then posting pics of their machines stacked on top of other AV gear, or pushed up against a wall or inside cabinets with little ventilation. Sony themselves have stated that you should not put the PS5 in an enclosed or narrow space and that the console should have at least 4 inches of clear room on all sides for proper ventilation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:


If you’ve put your PS5 in a TV cabinet that’s more than likely going to make the sound seem louder/worse. The sound will be reverberating around in the enclosed space and be more directional, potentially making the offending frequencies seem louder to you. You would be better putting the console behind your TV if possible, so that the TV itself forms a barrier between you and the console/sound and the sound has space to dissipate away from you.

 

Seen loads of people complaining of issues and then posting pics of their machines stacked on top of other AV gear, or pushed up against a wall or inside cabinets with little ventilation. Sony themselves have stated that you should not put the PS5 in an enclosed or narrow space and that the console should have at least 4 inches of clear room on all sides for proper ventilation. 


Wouldn’t these people have placed their consoles in a similar positions previous gen? More so, Sony wouldn’t have designed these to be placed on a pure marble plinth in a zero degree enclosure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:


If you’ve put your PS5 in a TV cabinet that’s more than likely going to make the sound seem louder/worse. The sound will be reverberating around in the enclosed space and be more directional, potentially making the offending frequencies seem louder to you. You would be better putting the console behind your TV if possible, so that the TV itself forms a barrier between you and the console/sound and the sound has space to dissipate away from you.

 

Seen loads of people complaining of issues and then posting pics of their machines stacked on top of other AV gear, or pushed up against a wall or inside cabinets with little ventilation. Sony themselves have stated that you should not put the PS5 in an enclosed or narrow space and that the console should have at least 4 inches of clear room on all sides for proper ventilation. 

It’s sitting in the exact same spot as my PS4 was, but it makes the same noise if it’s on carpet, upright, held in mid air, whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone played WRC 9? (Tried searching for a topic, but no luck).

 

Really like the haptic feedback and 60fps. And it’s 50% off in the PS Store atm. Just played a couple of hours, but enjoying the arcade side of it so far, not going too deep into the more serious side of adjusting tire pressure and what not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:


Wouldn’t these people have placed their consoles in a similar positions previous gen? More so, Sony wouldn’t have designed these to be placed on a pure marble plinth in a zero degree enclosure.


Possibly......however they were they were totally different consoles and the PS5 is larger, more powerful and thus needs more cooling.
 

It’s common sense really. If Sony’s official advice is - “don’t put the PS5 in a narrow or enclosed space” then don’t put the PS5 in a narrow or enclosed space. If Sony’s official advice is - “leave at least 4 inches on all sides of the PS5 to allow proper ventilation” then leave 4 inches of space on all sides of the console to allow proper ventilation! 
 

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It’s sitting in the exact same spot as my PS4 was, but it makes the same noise if it’s on carpet, upright, held in mid air, whatever.

 

Yeah, it will obviously make the same noise, as that’s the noise it naturally makes. However, putting it in a cabinet will make it sound louder. The sound waves will be reverberating around the cabinet it’s inside, potentially making certain frequencies worse, and the sound will be mostly diffusing forwards, out of the cabinet towards you. Once you start focusing on it, it will then start to sound even worse!
 

If you want to lower the perceived volume of a sound then, obviously you need to put a barrier between you and the sound source and leave all all other directions clear for the sound to travel away. If you want to make a sound seem louder, then you enclose it, with the enclosure being open towards the listener. Think about putting a shell to your ear at the seaside.......how you suddenly hear white noise.  You’re basically creating a speaker cab for your noisy PS5. Lol.
 

And if you’ve got Tinnitus (so have I, from years of gigging) that will probably also be having an impact. You may even have a bit of Hyperacusis going on, where you are perceiving certain frequencies as being louder than they actually are. I’ve got that too. Awesome! Hahaha. 
 

My PS5 is very quiet, however if I really listen, in a quiet room, it puts out a high pitched tone. I’ve stuck the PS5 behind the TV to baffle the sound and it’s now pretty much inaudible unless its pin drop levels of quiet and I’m focusing on it.......and then it seems louder! Lol.
 

It’s worth a shot trying to put it somewhere else, where the sound dissipates away from you more if possible, especially if it’s bothering you and spoiling your enjoyment of the machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

 

 

And if you’ve got Tinnitus (so have I, from years of gigging) that will probably also be having an impact. You may even have a bit of Hyperacusis going on, where you are perceiving certain frequencies as being louder than they actually are. I’ve got that too. Awesome! Hahaha. 
 

Disappointed on second read of this when I realised you didn’t say “giggling”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Deadpool 2 on Ultra HD disc tonight... Was interesting...

 

No audio! Had to Google it ffs...

 

Turns out it's something to do with the C9 HDMI settings, which I changed with no success. Whilst fiddling with the TV remote I pressed the Netflix button. Got the gongs, went back to PS5...

 

Sound worked ...

 

Bit of a faff and certainly not a great experience. Movies on UHD discs, however, really do show off the 4K content better than streams with a largely lossless image. Issue is minor I suspect it won't happen again and it's possibly a bad handshake between the PS5 and the TV that's now been fixed.

 

As for noise levels of the drive, it does seem to start a little loud (like when it's copying PS4 disc). But it did seem to disappear once the movie started and I didn't notice it again throughout the film.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MoFo2 said:

Anyone played WRC 9? (Tried searching for a topic, but no luck).

 

Really like the haptic feedback and 60fps. And it’s 50% off in the PS Store atm. Just played a couple of hours, but enjoying the arcade side of it so far, not going too deep into the more serious side of adjusting tire pressure and what not.


Yep, WRC8 was really good........WRC9 is absolutely fucking awesome, especially on PS5! Not just the best Rally game I’ve ever played but one of the best driving games I’ve ever played.....period! It’s like a proper next gen Colin McRae Rally. Some of the best tracks/stages in any driving game ever made. Proper quality! The online TT stuff is proper nerve shredding too, the risk/reward gameplay when you’re pushing for a faster time is spot on! Bagged 2nd place in the world on one track the other night and it felt absolutely amazing.
 

Haptics and Adaptive Triggers work brilliantly and genuinely add to the game. Can’t praise it enough. At around £20 it’s an unbelievable bargain too! They are releasing loads of free updates with brand new modes and courses added on top of the landslide of content it already has. One of the best launch games, up there with Demon’s Souls for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2020 at 17:25, teddymeow said:

 

126205685_10223941760835614_2768335555461928831_o.jpg

 

In order to give "The Beast" some more ventilation I moved stuff around today.

 

Virgin V6 box is now where the PS5 was and vice versa but with the PS5 turned so it runs left to right behind the TV.

 

If anything it now sounds louder than when it was in the smaller space. Not bad on the dash but the minute something starts to load there's a defo uptick in fan noise. Those PS4 games that made Pros sound like jets? Yeah, those are still guilty of ratcheting up the PS5 fan.

 

Maybe one day Sony will get it right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Quexex said:

As for noise levels of the drive, it does seem to start a little loud (like when it's copying PS4 disc). But it did seem to disappear once the movie started and I didn't notice it again throughout the film.

 

 

 

I've just tried a UHD disc and had sound straight away. No Atmos is a pisser.

 

My drive is loud! Or, the vibration of the disc spinning is loud. Glad I've got a standalone player as this is unbearable!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

 

In order to give "The Beast" some more ventilation I moved stuff around today.

 

Virgin V6 box is now where the PS5 was and vice versa but with the PS5 turned so it runs left to right behind the TV.

 

If anything it now sounds louder than when it was in the smaller space. Not bad on the dash but the minute something starts to load there's a defo uptick in fan noise. Those PS4 games that made Pros sound like jets? Yeah, those are still guilty of ratcheting up the PS5 fan.

 

Maybe one day Sony will get it right?


Goodbye PS5........it was nice knowing you! Lol. 
 

Out of interest, have you been having any issues? The PS5 puts out a lot of heat from the back, and gets hot to the touch on the sides. So if your cabinet is enclosed or up against the wall then, that heat is going to be pulled straight back into the system and used to cool it. Lol. Recipe for disaster! Definitely better off standing it vertically and sideways behind the TV. 
 

Edit - hold on......is the pic how you had it before? The PS5 is now behind the TV? If so......well done soldier! You’ve just saved your PS5 from going up like a Beirut Fireworks Factory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

It’s worth a shot trying to put it somewhere else, where the sound dissipates away from you more if possible, especially if it’s bothering you and spoiling your enjoyment of the machine.

I’ve tried just having it lying out on the floor, which is no help at all for the noise, and short of leaving it in the pile of cables behind the TV and climbing behind the cabinet to change discs, or literally cable tying it to the back of the TV set, it’s a no go. It’s just an unacceptably noisy console even when compared to my PS4 and old PS3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is hooked up to my LG C9 OLED directly and the TV is connected to my Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar.

 

Reading IGN it says that I should select AV Amplifier rather than Soundbar in the settings to actually get surround sound. They also say choose LPCM. Is that a tally better than Bitstream (Dolby)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

@Fully Aspel

 

Yeah, that shit is how it was on launch day. It's not behind the TV "side on" as it were.

 

I've had crashes, rebuild database errors, external drive errors. The only thing I haven't had is rest mode worries because I haven't used it! :lol:

 

 

 


Good call! That’s how I’ve set mine up. It’s been on for 12hrs every day since launch and not had a single problem so far (touch wood). Not used my external drive and also not used rest mode at all, in fact I switched it off right from the start. Not taking any chances! Lol.
 

Seen a lot of people with the same issues as yourself, since the US launch - locking up, crashing, black screens etc. You see their vids and pics and with lots of them, their consoles have clearly not got proper ventilation! Some have had GPU issues too. Yeah, no shit! Lol

 

Hopefully things will run smoother for you now. Hopefully we’ll get some news on a fix for the external drive problems soon, if indeed it is a problem.

 

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve tried just having it lying out on the floor, which is no help at all for the noise, and short of leaving it in the pile of cables behind the TV and climbing behind the cabinet to change discs, or literally cable tying it to the back of the TV set, it’s a no go. It’s just an unacceptably noisy console even when compared to my PS4 and old PS3.

 

Don’t put it on the carpet that will overheat it too! Lol.

 

Like I say, if you put something between you and the console, such as the TV, and angle the console properly, it should be a lot quieter. Suppose it depends how far you sit from the TV/console really. I sit about 10-11ft from my screen and the PS5 is pretty much silent, (I’ve just checked). However, if I put my head right in front of the TV screen, I can faintly hear some fan noise. Move across and stick my head to the front side of the TV and.......I can very clearly hear the fan and a high pitched tone. The TV is acting as a baffle to block the sound.

 

Either way, it’s up to you. My PS5 is behind the TV on one side, so I can easily access the drive, ports and buttons. Plus it’s the only place the Mrs will allow me to have it! Lol. If it’s bothering you that much, try sorting it behind the TV and see if it helps? What is there to lose?
 

Seems better than the hassle of chasing up a replacement, to possibly get one exactly the same. Again, like I say, if you have Tinnitus and possibly Hyperacusis along with it (which is very common) you could just be annoyed by sounds that are at the specific frequency it’s putting out! Also be careful turning the volume up, or wearing headphones to drown any fan noise out , as the last thing you’d want to do is worsen your Tinnitus through hearing damage. I’d definitely keep the PS5 out of an enclosed space though, otherwise it will be louder and it will eventually overheat and die a horrible death. :/

 

Edit - Just tested the volume of my PS5 using an iPad DB monitor as I can’t sleep and I’ve got way too much time on my hands! Hahahah. Did it whilst running Demon’s Souls. Have you tried the same and found out what reading it gives you, so you have a general comparison with other people’s machines?

 

Done in a totally silent room......

 

10-11ft away from console (PS5 in front of TV) - 35db. Audible mechanical buzz and audible high pitched tone.

10-11ft away from the console (PS5 behind TV) - 30db. No mechanical buzz, no audible high pitched tone.....unless I sit and actively listen for it and I have VERY sensitive hearing.

 

1.5ft from console and center screen (PS5 in front of TV) - 38db. Audible mechanical buzz and audible high pitched tone.

1.5ft from console and center screen (PS5 behind TV) - 33db. Audible mechanical buzz, no high pitched

tone.

All of those readings would basically be considered whisper quiet.

 

1inch from PS5’s rear exhaust ports - 43db. Loud mechanical buzz and rattle plus high pitched tone similar to Tinnitus sounds. That’s about the sound of a quiet fridge. Nobody sits with the PS5 strapped to their head so that’s nothing to worry about.

 

Also depends on the acoustics of your room. For example, I can hear a high pitched tone, if I listen very carefully from 11ft away, as it’s bouncing off the adjacent walls from the fan, to my seating position. However, I can’t hear it from 1.5ft away as the TV is completely blocking it out and the reverberations from the walls are behind me.

 

Anyway, that’s enough of me going fully Joe Meek! Hopefully that might be of some use to folk. Probably not! Hahaha.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the exact space as long as you are sensible, monitor and are comfortable with the general heat output.


Mine is on a shelf on its own but fairly boxed in. I have created ventilation space/openings at the back and always have the door open when I run it, but so far have had no crashes, unexpected noise or issues. I’ve turned off rest mode completely though and don’t have any external storage on it.

 

2E33942B-6430-4ECD-97D9-ACECB11ABB79.thumb.jpeg.835fb620bd7a41c22e97a6cf64978ea0.jpeg

 

To the right (intake) it’s actually cool to touch, and to the left and back (exhaust) the air is mildly warm (and that is after several hours of gaming) but honestly tiny fraction of what came out of the old PS4 in the same position and honestly my Sky Q box generates more heat when it’s on.
 

Some games may push it more than I have tested obviously, but there is zero chance of this cooking itself from my experience so far. Other mileages may vary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.