PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

14 minutes ago, Majora said:

Noticed recently that not only does the front USB port not charge my controllers in rest mode, even when they are charging when the console is switched on they never charge past two bars. So I'm now in an amusing situation where my Series X front USB port does a better job of charging my Dualsenses than my actual PS5 does.

This was a fix in the latest patch think its working fine for me now!

20 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Indeed, you had the choice.

Rather than being forced to constantly plug in a controller with a single rapidly failing battery that barely lasts a proper gaming session when new.

And I had 30 euros more before that choice.

1 hour ago, Pug said:

My MacBook Pro charging cable doesn't charge the Dualsense. Charges every other USB-C device I own bar the controller. Mildly annoying.

That's strange. I picked up a 10ft generic USB-C from Amazon this week and it charges the pad fine.

Maybe it's an Apple thing? (I can't test it I'm afraid as my MacBook Pro is the old 15" with the MagSafe connector)

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

That's strange. I picked up a 10ft generic USB-C from Amazon this week and it charges the pad fine.

Maybe it's an Apple thing? (I can't test it I'm afraid as my MacBook Pro is the old 15" with the MagSafe connector)

I have my MacBook on a side table next to me on the sofa so using it's USB-C is (or would be) dead handy to plug in if running low on the Dualsense.

Ah well, will probs just run another cable there.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:04, Uncle Mike said:

And the HDTV Test guys one: 

Cheers for this, I watched it just to confirm my settings were correct, so imagine my surprise when two settings were dead wrong - but only for specific use of the PS5.

I had my C9 Black level set to low, which for normal HDR/HLG/DV content is correct. But for the PS5, which can output the full RGB range, that means crushed blacks. So of course, I changed the RGB range on the PS5 to limited to counter the crushed blacks. I even recommended everyone else do this way back in the thread. Whoops!

Now I have both Black Level on my TV (for the PS5 HDMI only), and the RGB range on the PS5, set to Auto.

All is well. :)

5 hours ago, Quexex said:

Sweet mercy, who thinks this a good idea? You've got to be particularly short sighted to be an Amazon delivery driver who 'fails' to deliver a PS5 and thinks they can get away with just taking it themselves. I mean maybe you make 800 quid now but you also will lose your job, even without video footage Amazon knows who has the package and where it is at any time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-26-amazon-dumps-driver-who-drove-off-with-boys-birthday-ps5

Stealing from Amazon is not a crime 

45 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Quite an interesting Digital Foundry piece on the Sackboy game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-sackboy-a-big-adventure-tech-analysis

It seems quite pared back to make the base PS4. 720p60 and lots of assets just removed to keep the framerate stable.

PS4 looks terrible till you realise how zoomed in the screenshots are.

oh god my eyes,   Vaseline vision etc.,

image.thumb.png.f5b1a733620874a193ef9e25cfb854b4.png

zoom out to the actual pic though annnnnnnd it looks just fine.

image.thumb.png.34f3272375ffcf20df6d8df6f8f32829.png

Yeah, and they were at pains to point out that it looks great on all three machines; you can hardly argue that DF are misrepresenting/overstating things here.

I do think that the PS4 version looks a little soft even at 'normal' scale (though obviously how close you sit to the screen/how large your screen is will have a major impact on that), but it's a very pretty game in all versions, and I particularly appreciate that Sumo prioritised performance in all versions. That, combined with the fact they apparently finally made Sackboy enjoyable to control, makes me quite tempted to try it. And who knows, maybe at some point we'll see an actual LBP game where you can make fun platforming-oriented levels because you're not limited by the world's floatiest character!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Cheers for this, I watched it just to confirm my settings were correct, so imagine my surprise when two settings were dead wrong - but only for specific use of the PS5.

I had my C9 Black level set to low, which for normal HDR/HLG/DV content is correct. But for the PS5, which can output the full RGB range, that means crushed blacks. So of course, I changed the RGB range on the PS5 to limited to counter the crushed blacks. I even recommended everyone else do this way back in the thread. Whoops!

Now I have both Black Level on my TV (for the PS5 HDMI only), and the RGB range on the PS5, set to Auto.

All is well. :)

Do you mean that the PS5 is set to "Auto" and the TV is now set to "High" or is the PS5 set to "Auto" and the TV to "Low"?

The C9 doesn't have an "Auto" black level, annoyingly!

8 minutes ago, cubik said:

Sorry for the lack of pet pic but my cat doesn't go in for doing what he's told.

After a week of ups and downs thanks to Currys chaotic (or to be more accurate, shite) ordering and fulfillment system, I have a PS5.

I almost didn't as the DPD driver can't read numbers and took it to the house next door. Luckily I saw him before he left it on a pensioner's doorstep.

First impressions of the console:

Not actually as massive as I thought it would be. Mainly because I'd spent a week reading about how it was humongous, and it's not. It's just big.

It's quiet. Not noticed any odd noises but I haven't tried to listen for them as once I notice something, I'll never be able to ignore it again.

Set up was a breeze, signed in via the iPhone app and didn't even need my password.

UI is a bit half finished but smooth and responsive.

I'm in the process of downloading loads of the PS collection.

I like the fact that the iPhone app notifies you when something is downloaded and ready to play.

On to the controller:

Feels nice and well built

Lighting is very subtle but looks good

Now on to a combination of Astro's Playroom and the controller:

Holy shit. I thought the hype was an exaggeration, it's not - the haptic feedback is fantastic.

I haven't grinned at a game like that for years, I genuinely felt like it was something new in gaming.

Maybe it's a gimmick that will wear off but what an opening statement from Sony.

I don't think I've ever used "charming" as an adjective to describe a game before but in this case it seems apt.

It's essentially a free tutorial on how to use a new controller, and ends up being a great game and loving tribute to PS history. Absolutely bloody marvelous.

I've a feeling that I'll be playing PS4 games mainly for the next few months. The collection plus an existing backlog will keep me busy.

Just waiting for my charging dock to turn up, that's on order with Currys too but I can happily wait for that.

It's a very good start to the next gen, I'm now on the hunt for bargain PS5 games in the run up to Christmas.

I'd forgotten what paying full price for a game felt like so I'm hoping there'll be a few copies of MM going cheap soon due to people finishing it.

Great update.

Astrobot and that controller is the only reason I'd want to pick up a PS5 at the moment. Just got offered a swap for my Series X but decided against it. I will have to be patient and wait! :) It was a tough decision though love messing with new tech and this is very shiny and techie so ticking the boxes. :D Damn pandemic... I think a PS5 demo pod would have scratched the itch to try all this out nicely....

Enjoy the new console and the PS games.. there is a fair backlog of PS4 titles to get through if you've not owned one before... Also Argos has a good black Friday sale on if you are looking to pick up any cheap games that aren't on collection plus.

18 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Do you mean that the PS5 is set to "Auto" and the TV is now set to "High" or is the PS5 set to "Auto" and the TV to "Low"?

Set the HDMI input you have the PS5 plugged into to PC.

This will give you black level Auto and disable all other processes. 

I've already played and finished God of War, TLOU, Uncharted 4 & Infamous Second Son. I'm jealous of those that haven't played through these before and are getting them for free (I know it's not technically free but you get my drift).

I'll be focusing on finishing Control which I bought from the PS Store last week, and then on to The Last Guardian and Days Gone.

I'll be on the lookout for cheap copies of Miles and Sackboy.

29 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I just took a pic to show mine does, but @Kevvy Metal has explained why I have the option and you don't. :)

54 minutes ago, TommyG said:

I’m in the LG OLED CX club of no other tv is worthy of playing games on :lol:

I played GoW in performance mode on my C9 and it was fantastic. :) As others have said, give both a try and see how you get on. :)

16 minutes ago, cubik said:

I've already played and finished God of War, TLOU, Uncharted 4 & Infamous Second Son. I'm jealous of those that haven't played through these before and are getting them for free (I know it's not technically free but you get my drift).

I'll be focusing on finishing Control which I bought from the PS Store last week, and then on to The Last Guardian and Days Gone.

I'll be on the lookout for cheap copies of Miles and Sackboy.

Be interesting to see how The Last Guardian runs on the PS5 although heard that the disk version is the only one that has its vertical sync switched off so will run at a full 60fps whereas the digital version was patched to lock it to 30fps. Hopefully they'll patch the digital version again!

Never did finish The Last Guardian in the end after all the years waiting for it. I did manage to complete Shadow of the colossus though which was great on the PS 4 Pro at 60fps.

22 minutes ago, cubik said:

I forgot about SOTC.

I have it in my PS+ library but never got round to really getting stuck into it, I'll make amends over the holidays.

Great game. Just hope Sony continue to make the more abstract gaming experiences like TLG and SOTC. Also things like Little Big Planet and Tearaway too. Really enjoyed Sony's PS2/3 era really tried all sorts of ideas out. Guessing PSVR was their big experiment for the PS4 though.

Noticed Dreams is in the Argos sale too. This sounds fun. Never got around to playing around with that on PS4