PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I just took a pic to show mine does, but @Kevvy Metal has explained why I have the option and you don't. :)

Oh. My. Days!!!

That makes such a difference! Even on the home screen it just looks bolder in terms of colour.

Also, I'd forgotten to change the HDMI audio input to PCM from Bitstream on the TV and that's made the sound a bit meatier too.

Boy, do I miss the days of simply plugging in a SCART cable. :blush:

28 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What is the reason Sony haven't told us which SSD's we can use to add internal storage? Is their an ETA form them on that?

The reason is that they need to test them. To do that you'd want a selection of 'finished' games to check everything works as expected in real world scenarios; on paper there are drives available that should be fine, but there might be hidden incompatibilities.

At Cerny's talk early in the year he said the list of compatible drives likely wouldn't be available until after launch, but as far as I'm aware Sony haven't specified further. My guess would be by the end of Q1 2021, once the various OS teething issues are sorted and they've a decent catalogue of stable games to check.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

All my faffing wondering if I'm getting the best audio out of this thing and all I needed to do was use the 11111 menu on the TV and it tells me how many channels of audio the TV is receiving!

The what menu?

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Figured it out! HDMI input was set to PCM. That will get you mono apparently! :lol:

Yeah, it's weird. I thought you'd want the TV set to PCM same as the PS5 but apparently not. Bitstream is the way to go on the TV regardless of what the PS5 is sending.

Like I said, I miss SCART.

After all that nonsense yesterday I’ve sat and played to the “end” of Astro and it’s injected some joy into my wizened heart. I honestly don’t think I can get rid of this thing now. Ugh. I’ll finish Demon’s Souls and see where we’re at. I’m getting the suspicion Daniel at Sony didn’t tell his supervisor to call me back though.

7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

After all that nonsense yesterday I’ve sat and played to the “end” of Astro and it’s injected some joy into my wizened heart. I honestly don’t think I can get rid of this thing now. Ugh. I’ll finish Demon’s Souls and see where we’re at. I’m getting the suspicion Daniel at Sony didn’t tell his supervisor to call me back though.

I did manage to get a call back, but have found a place behind my entertainment unit where the noise is dampened a little so I'm the same as you. 

Will wait for Amazon to get hopefully get some stock in the New Year and organise a swap over. 

47 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Anyone who purchased WRC9 in the PS store sale, what's your impressions of it so far? Worth a go for the price?

If you’re used to more arcade-y racers (or even something like Forza) then it’s quite a steep learning curve, going even a little bit off track is very unforgiving and if you mess up a corner you’ll probably want to start the stage again (which thankfully is instant). I thought I’d made a mistake buying it to begin with but stick with it and you find yourself getting better and better at it and it’s very satisfying when you manage to string together a sequence of corners, sliding perfectly from one to the next. 

The Dualsense stuff is AMAZING. You can feel every change in surface and things like gravel being thrown up into your wheelarches. It’s augmented by sound from the dual sense too so you can feel backfires etc. It’s not blowing my mind visually but it’s super smooth and there isn’t much in the way of loading times.

TLDR; It’s worth a punt at £25 for the Dualsense stuff alone.

1 hour ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Anyone who purchased WRC9 in the PS store sale, what's your impressions of it so far? Worth a go for the price?

Without a doubt, easily worth the £25, I was on the fence about getting it, but I am glad I did

The dualsense haptics are superb

To those of you with hardware issues I'd wait till mid next year before swapping it for a different unit. The chances of getting the same problems with your replacement will be much lower. I replaced my PS4 due to noise issues just after launch and it was pretty much the same.

For me WRC has more of the Colin McRae feel than Dirt Rally, I think it’s a combination of the track design, the fact that it plays amazingly well with the controller and is a bit less brutal than DR. Portugal, Finland and Sweden are my favourite locations so far, Sweden on the snow flows beautifully. Monte Carlo is brutal but after trashing my car and having to limp home it demonstrated the Dualsense well, my right trigger became really stiff and ratchety making it more difficult to accelerate and the left trigger went soft as if the brake pedal was going to the floor.

It’s a bit rough/buggy round the edges, I’m not sure about the career mode and managing the team (it doesn’t explain it very well either) but I like how the race calendar works, from month to month you can choose training, historic, extreme races etc. in between the main rallies. I started in Junior WRC and got offered a WRC2 drive towards the end of the season, settings are realistic damage and 100% difficulty. Some rallies I can win by a margin, think Sweden was around a minute whereas at Monte Carlo I was next to last due to all my mistakes but there seems plenty of room to adjust with difficulty going up to 150% and you can also switch on perma-crash or whatever it’s called (4 restarts per stage by default). There is a season mode with non of the career fluff so I expect I’ll move on to that at some point.

It’s exactly what I was looking for though, I have ACC and DR2 on PC when I’m after a more sim experience with wheel/pedals but as an alternative this is a perfect lounge racer. Really good value at around £21 with some cheap PSN credit from ShopTo.

I’ll send out some friend requests if anyone wants to compare leaderboard times in the daily/weekly events etc.

15 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Are there any restrictions on USB C cables for charging the DualSense controller?  I wanted to buy a generic 3m cable from Amazon so I can charge while playing easier.

I just plugged in my 3m amazon basics cable and it's charging while playing. :)

26 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Are there any restrictions on USB C cables for charging the DualSense controller?  I wanted to buy a generic 3m cable from Amazon so I can charge while playing easier.

Cable probably not, but it won't charge from my Apple USB-C charger.