PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Microsoft don't charge for cloud saves, right? And syncing is seamless on Xbox. Nintendo and Sony need to sort their acts out.

Plus MS are the only ones with a service that actually works.  On PS4 it'll only automatically upload and download saves on the primary console as far as I can tell and Nintendo exclude some games because they think I have the slightest flying fuck that someone somewhere I'll never speak to might possibly use them to cheat.

Whereas with MS I can go to an Xbox I've never seen, sign in and continue playing Forza from right where I was without doing anything else.  And on a lot of games, do exactly the same on PC too.

49 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

COD was one of the first to move to the Tuesday. Rather than being to do with giving us the game at the same time, I think the extra days on sales helped it break sales records every time.

Sonic Twosday

Nice write up (and console collection) @Wiper

The noise thing is a really interesting one as it all seems very variable for different people, and not a case of there are some noisy (with a particular sound) and some quiet.

I was playing Demon Souls at a really really low volume last night (as in might as well have been muted) and couldn't hear anything from the console aside from the occasional spin up of the disc for a few seconds, and at one point a slight almost exhale sound from the fan for about 5 seconds, and I was only sat maybe 2m from it on my gaming chair for couple of hours. Maybe I'm just lucky (or my hearing is worse than I thought) but I would be happy to apply the "silent" description to mine for 95% of the time it's on and running, idle mine is literally silent as I can't hear a thing from it unless crouched down next to it. Agree on the drive though, when it is spinning it does seem pretty loud but I haven't tried any films in it yet to see how disruptive it would be when the sound bar was on.

Re: Your HDR issues... I've not had this at all. I have HDR on my TV (and I've been setting up HDR on things like Demon Souls so I'm assuming it's working as planned) but when I've played maybe 5-6 non-HDR PS4 games without changing any settings and they look exactly as you would expect with no weirdness going on. Maybe a TV specific issue? Which titles have been giving you bother with it?

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Re: Your HDR issues... I've not had this at all. I have HDR on my TV (and I've been setting up HDR on things like Demon Souls so I'm assuming it's working as planned) but when I've played maybe 5-6 non-HDR PS4 games without changing any settings and they look exactly as you would expect with no weirdness going on. Maybe a TV specific issue? Which titles have been giving you bother with it?

Well, literally any which don't support HDR. So, of the ones I've tried, Persona 5 Royal and Shenmue III. And AFAIK it's not a tv-specific issue, the PS5's HDR is simply either Always On, or Always Off. Bear in mind it doesn't lead to a dramatic, obvious problem for SDR content - it simply ends up squashing the colour range slightly, which is quite subtle and easy to miss, unless you, say, had been solidly playing through a game on PS4 comprised primarily of strong, block colours (Persona 5 Royal) and went straight to the PS5 with it, and suddenly everything looked slightly... Off.

My TV's an LG OLED55BX, which did at least make it easy to identify the issue (it pops up with an HDR logo when switching from SDR to HDR, so the fact that wasn't happening when switching to the UI from the game was a clue, then confirmed by going into the (blindingly white) HDR settings menu within the TV which is only available when being fed an HDR signal). After that I read around, and lo, it's officially a thing.

I put on Spelunky 2 earlier and thought it looked darker than it used to, it now occurs to me that lack of hdr support could be the reason. I doubt I'll be bothered to switch it on and off on a game by game basis, and I also just leave the TV in game mode when using the media apps, so I must just be a philistine.

Ah okay. Was the HDR forced always on the PS4 as well? I ask as I'm fairly certain Rocket League, Journey and Abzu, are all SDR and when I played them this week on the new console there was no change in the range that I noticed compared to when I did them on PS4 not that long ago. I had just assumed if it could be used it would be used, not that it was always on (I don't get any handy badges on mine to tell the difference).

To be honest you have a substantially better TV than me so it could well be that mine just doesn't make as much of a difference in the wild. I don't for example have different profiles for each setting, it just runs the higher range under the current settings or doesn't. Anyway, I hope they patch it for you.

PS4 would automatically enable/disable HDR depending on whether the game was using it.

It sounds like it’s tone mapping the SDR games in to the equivalent part of the HDR colour space, which with a correctly calibrated ideal display in principle should give the same results as displaying in the SDR colour space.

But displays aren’t ideal - on an HDR LCD in HDR mode for example, the backlight goes up to the maximum, even if the image isn’t using the full brightness range. That means backlight bleed that is avoided when the TV is in SDR mode, where the backlight is dimmed to only the level an SDR image actually needs.

8 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Has anyone tested Spoity support? I am pretty sure on my ps4 it muted game soundtracks automatically and told you what song was playing etc but this doesn't seem to be the case on PS5 :unsure:

Spotify has never muted game soundtracks for me (I think the only console to ever do that was the Xbox 360 and it was freakin’ awesome and I don’t know why it isn’t the default)

Just now, Madness said:

Spotify has never muted game soundtracks for me (I think the only console to ever do that was the Xbox 360 and it was freakin’ awesome and I don’t know why it isn’t the default)

Ah ok i thought it did. That's a real shame. 

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

UX designs re: PS4/PS5 downloading are daft. I shouldn't have to worry about downloading the wrong version of e.g. Bugsnax thanks to vague interface design.

I'm sure this has been asked before and will again but how do I check that I've downloaded the PS5 version?

I was massively underwhelmed by Bugsnax the other day and thought the framerate looked a bit janky. I could be on the wrong version.

The indicator's an absence; specifically, PS4 games appear in your library with [PS4] overlaid on them, while the front page appends "| PS4" to their title as shown below their thumbnail when highlighted, per the below.

20201130_215825_copy_1947x1222.thumb.jpg.016fc1ebd2a56eb10c3a46cdd5e95f7d.jpg

2 hours ago, cubik said:

I'm sure this has been asked before and will again but how do I check that I've downloaded the PS5 version?

I was massively underwhelmed by Bugsnax the other day and thought the framerate looked a bit janky. I could be on the wrong version.

One giveaway would be the adaptive triggers. On the PS5 version, when you use the scanner R2 has a bite point halfway down.

4 hours ago, Madness said:

Eh? It totally does for me when I’m playing GT sport or Wipeout (and it gives me a pop-up with artist and title when a new track starts @Parappa)

Maybe it’s a game-by-game basis? It’s one of my favourite features on PS4 (especially now they do podcasts) so would be gutted if it’s gone.

30 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Isn’t that what the PS5 does as the HDR setting is automatic?

As per the posts that Alex was responding to, no:

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

My TV's an LG OLED55BX, which did at least make it easy to identify the issue (it pops up with an HDR logo when switching from SDR to HDR, so the fact that wasn't happening when switching to the UI from the game was a clue, then confirmed by going into the (blindingly white) HDR settings menu within the TV which is only available when being fed an HDR signal). After that I read around, and lo, it's officially a thing.

20 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

COD was one of the first to move to the Tuesday. Rather than being to do with giving us the game at the same time, I think the extra days on sales helped it break sales records every time.

Games released on a Tuesday was an American thing. I think originally the idea was that they shipped the games out to stores on the Tuesday, so they'd arrive by the weekend.

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

The indicator's an absence; specifically, PS4 games appear in your library with [PS4] overlaid on them, while the front page appends "| PS4" to their title as shown below their thumbnail when highlighted, per the below.

20201130_215825_copy_1947x1222.thumb.jpg.016fc1ebd2a56eb10c3a46cdd5e95f7d.jpg

Ace Combat Squadron Leader?

15 hours ago, Wiper said:

• HDR implementation is inexplicable. Not an issue if you don't use HDR, of course, but if, like me, you do, having the so-called 'automatic' setting force HDR on everything is just insane. Ignoring it being a right faff to jump back and forth through the system menu when switching games, the fact that the system puts the onus on the player knowing which games are or aren't HDR titles is crazy. I'm hoping this is something that gets changed as a priority.

Are you not using one of the forum fav LG OLED's?

Do you have Dynamic Tone Mapping turned on? (which is default in game mode) that will raise the brightness across the board in HDR mode, so it's your tv doing it rather than the console. 

It should be in HGIG mode, with black levels Full for games. This will make non-HDR games look pretty much as they should, even when HDR is engage at the system level. 

Obviously your tv, do what you want. But HDTVtest on Youtube is a great resource.