PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Anyone know what the Sony warranties are like are they transferable from experience? Someone wants a swap for the Xbox and decided to run with it and play through Astrobot and some other PS5 content. Not sure how accommodating Sony are with respect to repairs do you need a proof of purchase etc? I expect as long as it's under a year old it doesn't matter where a warranty claim comes from?

Wouldn't mind catching up on some missed PS4 content too... is Dreams any good? Like the idea of that and Ghost of Tsushima too. 

Really should have gone with a PS5 TBH because I have an older PC which in comparison to the X actually *isn't that bad* I was comparing Gears 5 the other night on both console and PC and there wasn't a huge difference in graphic fidelity or loading times to be fair. So I'll just bung a new GPU in that when it starts falling behind with the Xbox content. Having GamePass on the PC is great because I can still play my favourite games on there too. 

It might not come off. Chap lives round the corner and keeps umming and arrrring... :D So he's not sure.... Otherwise not faffing around and I'll wait until next year sometime or wait for a hardware revision before getting a PS5 to tinker with.

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Are you not using one of the forum fav LG OLED's?

Do you have Dynamic Tone Mapping turned on? (which is default in game mode) that will raise the brightness across the board in HDR mode, so it's your tv doing it rather than the console. 

It should be in HGIG mode, with black levels Full for games. This will make non-HDR games look pretty much as they should, even when HDR is engage at the system level. 

Obviously your tv, do what you want. But HDTVtest on Youtube is a great resource. 

I do use HGIG, but thanks for flagging it as it's easily something I could have missed in the world of TV configuration - and thanks in particular for that summary you posted further downthread (not quoted for screen-filling reasons), I'll be using that as a reference this evening, see if I've missed anything! One thing I should probably flag though, relating also to this:

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I do forget that the LG OLEDs are (with the correct settings) that mythical ideal TV operating under ideal conditions.

My TV is almost  a forum fav LG OLED; as in, it is an LG OLED, but it's not the full-fat CX model as recommended everywhere, it's the as-close-to-entry-level-as-OLED-gets BX model; it has a weaker processor, notably lower peak brightness (~500 nits, if I remember correctly) and not quite as much detail in blacks as a CX, so it may well be that it can't implement HGIG quite as well as the fancier models.

Either way, I'll definitely be checking my settings, and if I do need to tweak them I'll retry tone-mapped SDR; thanks again for the suggestions and for the summary :)

(even if that does fix it for me, I will say I think auto-mode should switch between SDR and HDR rather than tone-mapping, if only for the majority of people who won't have an OLED screen. Really there should be three options; auto, always on and always off)

1 hour ago, pledge said:

I get really bad colour banding when I do this with the PS5 on my B7. Its fine with all my other devices though.

Don't use the PC input on any LG OLED other than the 9 and X series because it's broken.

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

So far everything that I have tried in PSVR has certainly been clearer - even those without a patch such as Blood and Truth.  And with high res textures that looks great.  I wonder why its not possible to play the new version of NMS in VR? 

There is no PS5 SDK for PSVR at this point. Hopefully that will change soon, given how far off PSVR 2 appears to be.

11 minutes ago, Quexex said:

There us no PS5 SDK for PSVR at this point. Hopefully that will change soon, given how far off PSVR 2 appears to be.

Ah yes I forgot the recent update to NMS was next gen only so that now makes sense.  Like you say hopefully it wont be long until they perhaps can do something with it but its good to see original PSVR games looking a little better.  I may give NMS a go in VR as although very immersive the image quality wasn't good on PS4 Pro.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Anyone know what the Sony warranties are like are they transferable from experience? Someone wants a swap for the Xbox and decided to run with it and play through Astrobot and some other PS5 content. Not sure how accommodating Sony are with respect to repairs do you need a proof of purchase etc? I expect as long as it's under a year old it doesn't matter where a warranty claim comes from?

Wouldn't mind catching up on some missed PS4 content too... is Dreams any good? Like the idea of that and Ghost of Tsushima too. 

Really should have gone with a PS5 TBH because I have an older PC which in comparison to the X actually *isn't that bad* I was comparing Gears 5 the other night on both console and PC and there wasn't a huge difference in graphic fidelity or loading times to be fair. So I'll just bung a new GPU in that when it starts falling behind with the Xbox content. Having GamePass on the PC is great because I can still play my favourite games on there too. 

It might not come off. Chap lives round the corner and keeps umming and arrrring... :D So he's not sure.... Otherwise not faffing around and I'll wait until next year time before getting a PS5 to tinker with.

They are very good for hardware warranties, I've only ever had to use them once (my son fed my OG PS3 a load of discs) but they swapped it next day on the doorstep for me and even sent me copies of the 2 games that were stuck inside but apologies for not being able to replace the kids DVD's that were jammed in.

Never got asked about proof of purchase, but you could just ask him where he bought it and if he has the receipt?

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

They are very good for hardware warranties, I've only ever had to use them once (my son fed my OG PS3 a load of discs) but they swapped it next day on the doorstep for me and even sent me copies of the 2 games that were stuck inside but apologies for not being able to replace the kids DVD's that were jammed in.

Never got asked about proof of purchase, but you could just ask him where he bought it and if he has the receipt?

Indeed will do..... :) Looking forward to tinkering with this..... I guess some people get concerned about personal information on receipts etc these days (although to be fair not sure why credit card numbers etc are concealed anyway).

Never had to use Sony's support for hardware ever as nothing has ever gone wrong. My PS2 which I bought in 2001 was still working fine when I sold loads of my retro gear last year.

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

Indeed will do..... :) Looking forward to tinkering with this..... I guess some people get concerned about personal information on receipts etc these days (although to be fair not sure why credit card numbers etc are concealed anyway).

Never had to use Sony's support for hardware ever as nothing has ever gone wrong. My PS2 which I bought in 2001 was still working fine when I sold loads of my retro gear last year.

I don't think you will be disappointed man, it's easily the most impressive games console I've ever owned, there is a few stupid issues but i'm sure Sony will resolve them sooner rather than later, and I haven't had games crashing since the 2nd day.

22 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I don't think you will be disappointed man, it's easily the most impressive games console I've ever owned, there is a few stupid issues but i'm sure Sony will resolve them sooner rather than later, and I haven't had games crashing since the 2nd day.

Looking forward to it. However the guy is dicking around so probably not going to happen. He's advertised a few times on the local facebook marketplace and then withdrawn the ad. Not getting a good feeling about it all to be honest. So just going to leave it for now and pick a PS5 up at some point in the future. I thought if there was someone looking for an Xbox and I am looking to tinker with a PS5 this winter then great.

However finding people in general are a PITA on marketplace/Gumtree etc so not wasting any more time on this. Have a great 4K console and GamePass this winter so just going to enjoy that and be greatful.

Of course if anyone on here is having thoughts on changing over give me a PM! :D

Got my first problem. The dualsense had a few moments where it decided I was going left, even when I let go of the stick.

It's stopped now but problems that go away by themselves tend to come back by themselves.

My main worry (but not quite a full blown genuine concern) is having to deal with Currys. Their sales service is piss poor so who knows what the support is like.

If I get no joy from them or it looks like they'll take weeks to sort it and I'll be without a controller, I'll be tempted to do my bit to make Jeff Bezos poorer by buying a new one on Amazon and sending this one back in its box. Would that make me a bad person or would I be sticking it to the man?

I was tempted to get a psare anyway but decided I'll wait till the first lot of alternative controller colours get released. I'm hoping for traditional PS coloured buttons.

Does 3D Audio work with PS4 games? Presumably there should be nothing stopping it from doing so, as the games support surround and the Gold headset. 

I’m trying to figure out what I need to get the best out of my headphones in Ghost of Tsushima, and am not sure if having audio set to headphones (in game) will just do stereo. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Does 3D Audio work with PS4 games? Presumably there should be nothing stopping it from doing so, as the games support surround and the Gold headset. 

I’m trying to figure out what I need to get the best out of my headphones in Ghost of Tsushima, and am not sure if having audio set to headphones (in game) will just do stereo. 

I'd have thought if it's running as a PS4 game then you'd get the same features that you would on PS4? 

It’s not a silly question, on the Xbox One there were plug ins to convert ordinary 2D surround sound to headphone virtual surround sound. So it would’ve been nice if the PS5 used its system-level equivalent of that plugin to convert ordinary 2D surround on PS4 games.

24 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Did I see someone mention stick drift here? I have just played Demon Souls and certainly have it :(. Rebooting to see if anything is resolved. 

Ahh @cubik. Any particular game it happened in? 

Captured it. No change after reboot. 

That sucks, did you update the controller during the initial setup? You probably did though I think it's unavoidable. Maybe try resetting the pad. Although I've not checked to see if the PS5 pad has a reset hole, just assumed it does.

And so it begins, I expect a lot of faults with these pads, so many different parts and features to go wrong. Have to admit though, stick drift wasn't really high on the list. It's the triggers that I reckon will prove problematic down the line.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

And so it begins, I expect a lot of faults with these pads, so many different parts and features to go wrong. Have to admit though, stick drift wasn't really high on the list. It's the triggers that I reckon will prove problematic down the line.

Think the triggers will be OK given that never had rumble really fail on me before or FFB on my wheels - and essentially the triggers are just FFB motors. Suppose it depends on how much abuse they get, how the developers implement FFB in games too. 

Guess if you get a couple of years or so out of them not so bad... it's not like they are £200 a pop or anything. As long as you get value from the immersion they give.

7 hours ago, Parappa said:

Did I see someone mention stick drift here? I have just played Demon Souls and certainly have it :(. Rebooting to see if anything is resolved. 

Ahh @cubik. Any particular game it happened in? 

Captured it. No change after reboot. 

It happened while playing Control. I checked to see if it was the game or controller by pressing the PS button to get back to the UI and it still did it so it’s definitely the controller. 

It did it a few times, and giving the stick a flick sort of fixed it temporarily. After a couple of minutes it stopped and everything was good. 

I haven’t bothered resetting anything, it feels like it will be a hardware issue so might as well just get it replaced. 

So while playing Demon Souls last night (using the surprisingly excellent PiP feature with @jonamok) I had what I thought was my first hard crash however I managed to find a way around it...

The bug

The game (and shared stream) was running absolutely fine however suddenly the pad completely stopped working. No buttons/sticks would provide any input at all even though the LED strip was still on and it was well charged, including the PS button to be able to get back to the OS. Jonamok said previously it had happened and it was hard reboot/rebuild time to get it working again however I found a bit of a work around.

The fix

I plugged in my T-Flight HOTAS via USB and then pressed the PS button on that to activate it. The UI message came up as expected to assign the controller (which I did to my profile) at which point the HOTAS was able to operate fine everything fine, however to my surprise my DualSense then also just worked and I could just carry on gaming as usual. Bit of a weird one but I assume it hit some sort of bug in the I/O software and activating the new device bypassed that. 

I appreciate not everyone has a HOTAS lying around the place but thought I'd share anyway in case anyone else gets the issue. If it happens again I'm going to try hooking up the pad directly via the USB and see if that does anything.

49 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

So while playing Demon Souls last night (using the surprisingly excellent PiP feature with @jonamok) I had what I thought was my first hard crash however I managed to find a way around it...

The bug

The game (and shared stream) was running absolutely fine however suddenly the pad completely stopped working. No buttons/sticks would provide any input at all even though the LED strip was still on and it was well charged, including the PS button to be able to get back to the OS. Jonamok said previously it had happened and it was hard reboot/rebuild time to get it working again however I found a bit of a work around.

The fix

I plugged in my T-Flight HOTAS via USB and then pressed the PS button on that to activate it. The UI message came up as expected to assign the controller (which I did to my profile) at which point the HOTAS was able to operate fine everything fine, however to my surprise my DualSense then also just worked and I could just carry on gaming as usual. Bit of a weird one but I assume it hit some sort of bug in the I/O software and activating the new device bypassed that. 

I appreciate not everyone has a HOTAS lying around the place but thought I'd share anyway in case anyone else gets the issue. If it happens again I'm going to try hooking up the pad directly via the USB and see if that does anything.

This is basically the bug I hit during my play through of Miles Morales, which would imply that is is a system level issue. 

I couldn't even turn off the machine or anything. The game was running, the DualSense was on, but it didn't work. 

*touchwood* I don't get it again. 

For those with controller issues there is a reset button on the back of the pad that works in the same was as the PS4 did.  I will give this a go at lunch and see if anything changes.  

Mine has been fined until I started playing Worms Rumble which is probably the first game that the pad has had a bit of a workout.  Hopefully not a sign of things to come.  Even if it fixes itself I am contacting Sony to replace as I don't want to risk it.

Move the stick to one side and blow in the gap for all you are worth. If there's any debris causing the stick to drift that'll fix it. Alternatively get some WD40 contact cleaner on it. Also make sure you aren't catching the sticks when you power the console on as it'll think that's the default position

Only problem I have with the Dual Sense is the back of it is getting dirty even though I wash my hands before every use. Bugger to clean as well 

22 hours ago, MattyP said:

As long as it's less than a year old they are great. They replaced my faulty OG PS4 and one of the Dual Shock 4 pads free and quickly. Best thing is they don't need proof of purchase it's all done by serial number on the PS support website, so you don't need to worry if you aren't the original owner or anything.