Jump to content
IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Sony have asked me to send them my console to look at.

 

In #fangate news, here's a French site finding that their retail-purxhased unit has a fan with less blades than their review unit, and is noisier; they apparently tore down five units and no two had the same fan model! So maybe the noisy fan issue will be resolvable with a simple swap to a 23-blade fan instead of a 17-blade one.

 

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/console-de-jeu/labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

 

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

That would make sense. Wonder if they had supply issues for the 23 blade fan units? Or perhaps they are cheaper and Sony are already cost-reducing the hardware.

 

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:


its reasonable standard to have engineering samples that are always the best of the best - I used to be able to get ES intel CPU’s and they were always hand picked and could be clocked way higher than off the shelf parts.

 

Explains why the press said the pre release machines were silent and the retail units are not - I know from watching the Xbox side all the influencers etc got pre release units they had to send back and were then given retail units - is that the same on Sony side do we know?

 

Surely they wouldn't be daft enough to think no one would notice the fan difference.   Like there can't be THAT much of a price difference between a 21 blad fan and a 17 blade fan seeing as that's the main thinkig that's pushing airflow and therefore cooling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

 

 

 

Surely they wouldn't be daft enough to think no one would notice the fan difference.   Like there can't be THAT much of a price difference between a 21 blad fan and a 17 blade fan seeing as that's the main thinkig that's pushing airflow and therefore cooling

It was the same with the PS3, depending on which factory you it came from you got different numbers of blades, with 23-blade ones being highly sought after for their mythical inability to YLOD. Frankly it’s probably a load of old shite, and they’ll be rated for the same cubic centimetres per second of airflow, I’d just like the quieter one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine it's probably just a case of them sourcing parts from multiple suppliers. They'll have been given a space they need to fit in to, an amount of air they have to move with a certain amount of power, a certain noise level and so on, and two (looks like maybe three, possibly more) companies came up with fans that met the criteria.

 

But yeah they were for sure picking the optimum, flawless units as review samples. That's just what happens. You don't think of consumer electronics as being these hand-crafted things with subtle item-to-item variation but that's closer to how it actually works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I understand from a technical standpoint why it's like this, but Sony's cross-gen situation is very 2013, and largely down on publishers doing a lot of leg work it seems. It's like their digital Vs disc setup- the version of Fallout 4 on the UK PSN, for instance, is the EU mainland version, so it won't work with saves from a UK disc version.

 

There's no crossplay between Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles for Fifa 21 or Madden either, it's a totally different game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Parappa said:

30 mins on hold to Sony about my controller and now waiting for the return forms in the post having provided a little info. Seemed pretty good to me. 

30 minutes on hold and then being posted some forms feels like a pretty bad level of support.

Did they give you any idea what happened next after the forms are filled in and how long the replacement process takes?

 

I had a look at the support website which tells me to ring 0203 441 3013.

The website doesn't mention opening hours though and of course I get an automated message telling me it's closed.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone know the best site which has a very comprehensive (updating) list of PS4 >> PS5 compatibility and what if any, enhancements have been added to the PS5 version? I've lost the link and when I try and find it again I get a squillion Google results and nothing close to the site I found. I say I found, but I'm sure I found the link from somewhen here on one of these posts.

Anyone? :blink2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

 

There's no crossplay between Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles for Fifa 21 or Madden either, it's a totally different game.

Have you noticed much difference? I’m playing on series x and it looks a little crisper but otherwise the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Anyone know the best site which has a very comprehensive (updating) list of PS4 >> PS5 compatibility and what if any, enhancements have been added to the PS5 version? I've lost the link and when I try and find it again I get a squillion Google results and nothing close to the site I found. I say I found, but I'm sure I found the link from somewhen here on one of these posts.

Anyone? :blink2:


Check the opening post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cubik said:

30 minutes on hold and then being posted some forms feels like a pretty bad level of support.

Did they give you any idea what happened next after the forms are filled in and how long the replacement process takes?

 

I had a look at the support website which tells me to ring 0203 441 3013.

The website doesn't mention opening hours though and of course I get an automated message telling me it's closed.

 

 

Yeah. They will send another within 15 days of receiving the faulty one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies for a noisy console post but the coil whine on mine, if indeed that’s what it is, is only present when idling on the dashboard.  As soon as I boot up a game it goes away and after 2 hours of Miles Morales this afternoon, the fan is barely audible. Isn’t that completely arse about face?
 

The dashboard noise is noticeably louder and high pitched as soon as I turn it on but not enough to really bother me as I game pretty much exclusively with headphones; I only really noticed it today when I was downloading something in a silent room. Weird that it only does it when the machine is doing nothing though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chooch said:

Have you noticed much difference? I’m playing on series x and it looks a little crisper but otherwise the same. 

 

Mainly the fact it's like the pre-patch Xbox One/PS4 version of the game, so i'm scoring about 7 goals per game online as people can't rely on the AI to defend for them :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chooch said:

Have you noticed much difference? I’m playing on series x and it looks a little crisper but otherwise the same. 

It’s a bit wank pre patch at the moment I’m conceding about 7 goals a game because the AI isn’t defending properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Baring said:

It’s a bit wank pre patch at the moment I’m conceding about 7 goals a game because the AI isn’t defending properly. 


Maybe stop just playing @gooner4life:P
 

10 hours ago, gooner4life said:

 so i'm scoring about 7 goals per game online as people can't rely on the AI to defend for them :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where on the new store page I can access and download additional content from pre-order bonus codes? I've redeemed the codes but I can't find where that content is to download and it's so annoying because it seemed much easier on the old site. :blah:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mafro said:

Finally managed to get an official headset ordered from Amazon Germany.

 

Let us know what they are like as I have as steel series with dac which has never really made me happy and would be interested in this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Harrisown said:

But it would be such a minor upgrade.

And could be done (a number out if my arse) in 3 months just patching the frame pacing, resolution and unlocking the frame rate.

 

It would make sense to release a remaster if it's also coming to PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zombait said:

Does anyone know where on the new store page I can access and download additional content from pre-order bonus codes? I've redeemed the codes but I can't find where that content is to download and it's so annoying because it seemed much easier on the old site. :blah:


Select a game on the Home Screen and then press down a few times and the add-ons will appear IIRC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/2020 at 15:06, FozZ said:

If anyone here is considering buying Sackboy digitally, but happy to wait a bit, feel free to let me know.

 

Apparently I'll be getting a code for it from work, which is lovely, but my partner already bought me the disc version for my birthday last month.

 

I could ask her to return it, but I already removed the cellophane, and I'd rather keep the disc version anyway, so it'd be good to sell the code on once I have it, and maybe pick something else up.

 

Mentioned this a while back, but I now have said Sackboy code up for sale in the trading folder - HERE

Quite surprised to have not seen much chat about it to be honest. It's an outstanding platformer, and gets really tricky in later levels. Co-op'd the entire game and absolutely loved it.

(that said, Knitted Knight Trial #16 is testing my will to live, but damnit I'm gunna beat that sodding level!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

 

The arctis pro with gamedac? if you're not happy with them then headphones might not be for you man :blink2:

 

Yes. Don't come close to my previous Sennheiser's (and now DT 1990 Pros with Arc mk2 amp)but wouldn't expect them to the latter at that price. Both on PC mind.

 

The artic pros sound ok but the build quality and whole overall experience are just not that great, they cut corners imo. But this is more more for the headphones thread.

 

Just interested in the official ones as seen wildly varying opinions on them. Sennheiser keep threatening to make console specific headphones but have still yet to produce anything. I'd be all over that if they did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of the dualsense, I've run into an annoyance this evening, which I'm hoping is a one-off: turned off the PS5 last night and didn't bother plugging in the controller as it was still on two bars. Turned on the PS5 just now and the controller is flat - enough power to turn on, but immediately complains about being flat, and so now needs to be plugged in for use. Going from two bars to flat in under a day without being used isn't really what I want from a controller, to be frank!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Len said:

 

Let us know what they are like as I have as steel series with dac which has never really made me happy and would be interested in this.

 

Will do. I needed an upgrade from my PS4 Gold headset since the coating on the ear pads is peeling off and falling to bits. I was tempted to get the Steel Series Arctis 9 but that was twice the price of the official ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has this happened to anyone here? Other than me, I mean. Checking Twitter and other Reddit threads it seems to be happening a fair bit.

 

The controller still works but the right trigger on mine has a lot less resistance (aside from adaptive trigger activations), I can hear a rattle too. 
 

It’s a bit of a night mare for things like overwatch that need the trigger to go all the way back up again before pressing down to trigger a shot - it having so little resistance means it won’t always go back to the start when you’re rapid firing (if that makes sense) because your finger is still on the trigger all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.