IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

21 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

So... let me see if I've got this: If Sony decide to announce the terraflapples it's a great idea, but if they don't that's also a great idea. So, whilst it's cool for MS to announce the boring specs for their system, it won't be necessary for Sony to do it unless they do, in which case it will be because it is actually very interesting, and if they don't and focus on the games, it's because it's really all about the games, unless they have bigger specs than MS, and announce the specs, and then it's also about how Sony are just the best.

Well, I think Sony have got this strategy sewn up!

I think terraflops only really became a thing when Microsoft announced that the Xbox One X was the most powerful console ever, I can’t even remember what it was before that - 32bit, 64bit etc? Soon it will be something else. I’m pretty sure that if PS5 has less than Series X they won’t say, because why would they, more and they will, because that’s what people want to hear :unsure:

49 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think terraflops only really became a thing when Microsoft announced that the Xbox One X was the most powerful console ever, I can’t even remember what it was before that - 32bit, 64bit etc? Soon it will be something else. I’m pretty sure that if PS5 has less than Series X they won’t say, because why would they, more and they will, because that’s what people want to hear :unsure:

Transistors. In the run up to last gen people wouldn’t shut the fuck up about how many gazillion transistors 'their' console had.

49 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do not underestimate the power of PlayStation. You must have been in a different galaxy when the Cell chip was announced.

25 minutes ago, footle said:

Do not underestimate the power of PlayStation. You must have been in a different galaxy when the Cell chip was announced.

Vaguely remember it, I think Phil Harrison was around so hyperbole was the order of the day. 

The power of the PS5 doesn’t matter because if it’s more powerful they still can fuck it up somehow and if it’s less powerful Microsoft can still fuck up somehow. All this tech talk is interesting but history has proven that with Sony vs MS it all pivots on who is stupider on the day.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

there was a reason I mentioned Mark Cerny and the big PS4 announcement in Feb 2013 as being techy and dry - because he did talk about 2tf and 8gb Gddr5 etc it was a very techy  boasty launch announcement.

Basically if the platform holder has the best performing console then they'll shout it from the rooftops and if you don't they'll focus on some other measure or element. Sony launched with 2tf 8gb GDDR5 talk and MS went with TVTVTV... XboxOneX went with 6tf and PSPro went with games and checkerboarding. Xbox Series X goes with 12tf and Sony will go with either 13.2tf or <insert PR term here>

same as it always was.

1 hour ago, footle said:

And that 10% difference in power will suddenly be much more important than a 30% difference the other way.

And utterly irrelevant to the folks on the other side of the power deficit :-)

I guess both companies feel that the crowds they want to preach to have different priorities or at least want to control the narrative for it to go that way

MS wanted TVTVTV or at least thought it was going that way early on.   Sony saw that people just wanted a games machine and went with it.

Then when there weren't any massive games in the first 12 months Sony went all "We love indies", that changed once the big guns landed. MS went in with their big exclusives early in the cycle and then moved across to "we love indies".    At least that's how it felt to me.   I'm sure it'll happen all over again.  Control the narrative. That's what it's always been about for the respective marketing teams with varying success with us punters,

What if the base model is a ruse? Reverse psychology to make people buy the expensive version?

i mean, if you have x and y consoles at launch, and y is more powerful than x for a bit more money, who’s buying x, knowing it’s not the best version of that console?

saying that, Apple launch 3 version of a phone, what are the sales like of each? 

I’d more than likely get any pro model but one reason I have a slim over the pro PS4 is the aesthetics. It’s just a much slicker and overall nicer looking machine. Also I travel a lot so the fact it’s easy to wrap in some T-shirt’s and throw in a suitcase is a plus. 

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

I’d more than likely get any pro model but one reason I have a slim over the pro PS4 is the aesthetics. It’s just a much slicker and overall nicer looking machine. Also I travel a lot so the fact it’s easy to wrap in some T-shirt’s and throw in a suitcase is a plus. 

It’s also really quiet. 

33 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Imagine how loud and how hot a pro, launch model version of a Sony console could be.

on the plus-side it’ll also double as a terrific toasted sandwich maker as well.

Who cares about teraflops when your ham and cheese toastie are cooked to perfection eh?

I dont think a 3 TF delta will matter that much in the end, mainly because they will both be safely within range of performing at 4K60. That was the main problem for the Pro in comparisons with the One X, which was designed with that in mind. There will at least be some kind of parity in that regard with the PS5 and Series X.