PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Hooked up a USB external drive yesterday to get a load of PS4 stuff downloaded, and it works fine (brilliantly, in fact) until I close the console down.  The next time it starts up it thinks the USB's not connected, so i reconnect it and then it does the 'you didn't unplug it properly' routine, checks for errors, and goes back to working.  Anyone else getting this with external drives?  Wondering if it's because of the specific drive I'm using, or a common problem across all makes/models?

Anyone else finding the triangle button sticks quite often? 

Not sure if it's due to the games I've played or not but currently playing ghost of tsushima and finding when I use the triangle For attacks it is not always coming back up and needs pressing again. 

Controller has had 75 hours use according to my playtime on profile so not great. 

am I going crazy or has the recent Miles Morales update added in the studio and marvel splash screens when you start the game? I'm sure it used to just zip straight to the title screen/file select :huh:

*edit* Seems it doesn't do it every time. It just booted straight to title screen after I closed it and relaunched it..hmm

38 minutes ago, Zombait said:

am I going crazy or has the recent Miles Morales update added in the studio and marvel splash screens when you start the game? I'm sure it used to just zip straight to the title screen/file select :huh:

*edit* Seems it doesn't do it every time. It just booted straight to title screen after I closed it and relaunched it..hmm

Yeah, it does the splashes after an update to the game, then never again until the next update. At least I think that's how it works. 

16 hours ago, Ferine said:

I've yet to have any issues with my external drive. It's a SATA SSD in a USB 3.1 enclosure, plugged in the back of the PS5.

What kind of drive are you connecting, @Sixkiller, and which port on the console are you using?

13 hours ago, Minion said:

I'm using the Seagate 4tb PS4 branded drive and have had no issues @Sixkiller, I have also plugged it into one of the rear usb ports as the front ones had that issue with the controller so I'm a bit dubious about the front one.

It's an older Samsung 1TB USB3.0 drive.  I've got it plugged into a rear USB for the same reasons you've mentioned, plus the aesthetics.  It must be something to do with the drive then.  I've had it quite a long time so in some regards i was surprised the PS5 was happy to use it, and like i say it works perfectly while the console's on.  My guess is that it's something to do with how the drive goes to sleep - the PS5 obviously thinks it's been unplugged when it hasn't.  Thanks for reassuring me the console itself isn't doing this on a widespread basis.  Will invest in a new drive :)

14 hours ago, Minion said:

I'm using the Seagate 4tb PS4 branded drive and have had no issues @Sixkiller, I have also plugged it into one of the rear usb ports as the front ones had that issue with the controller so I'm a bit dubious about the front one.

Yeah you are right to dubious of the front port you should never, ever use the front Type A USB port for an HDD it's USB 2.0 irrc (could even be lower) it will certainly not work for an HDD. The Type C on the front would be fine but it's the same spec as the rear ports so use them only. Sony are very clear when you connect an external drive it should be via the rear ports only.

17 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

Hooked up a USB external drive yesterday to get a load of PS4 stuff downloaded, and it works fine (brilliantly, in fact) until I close the console down.  The next time it starts up it thinks the USB's not connected, so i reconnect it and then it does the 'you didn't unplug it properly' routine, checks for errors, and goes back to working.  Anyone else getting this with external drives?  Wondering if it's because of the specific drive I'm using, or a common problem across all makes/models?

Are you using the USB cable it came with?

39 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

This is good news. Are both consoles connecting via LAN? Any noticeable input lag?

Yeah, they're both running wirelessly across the same bog-standard BT router. The PS5 is 2 floors up and doesn't get the best WiFi signal, so it's not an ideal networking scenario at all.

I'm not especially sensitive to input lag, but it seemed fine by me.

44 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Are you saying there was lag? I was hoping i could use my PS4 to play PS5 in a different room but i dunno if i could put up with a laggy experience.

There was no lag that I could see. Given the tech, some lag was inherently introduced, but I didn't notice it.

6 hours ago, Quexex said:

Are you using the USB cable it came with?

Yes, it's actually a Toshiba one not Samsung, which in terms of hard drives i'd maybe expect to be better.

What I have done today is change it to the other rear USB port and tested it connected to that one, and it's not errored through a couple of cycles of turning on and going to rest mode.  Meanwhile the port it was plugged into has worked fine for charging a controller (had problems using the front for that) suggesting the port itself isn't a problem.  All very strange but will see how it goes.

6 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Posting it here as well. I need to make a dedicated thread for it.

I turned my PS5 on for the first time all week yesterday. I've been contemplating selling it due to one thing or another but then I saw this and it just looks "chef's kiss".

I got some real PN03 and even Vanquish vibes from it but with that awesome Resogun voxel twist.

Really want Ghost Of Tsushima, sort of holding off because I'm convinced that it will drop in price on PSN in the lead up to xmas? They usually do sales on big games from the last year at xmas don't they? Remember that 12 days of xmas thing they did a few years back? That was really smart, where for every 2 days from the start of December they did a big 2 days sale on one game. I really miss that, last year it was just a generic sale on a bunch of games.