Jump to content
IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Tempest 3D Audio thoughts- anyone else think it's just a bit shit? Everything sounds like I've got water in my ears until I turn it off, and I don't get much of a 3D effect. How it'll work on non-headphone speakers I don't know.


Have you done the ear height setting or whatever, that’s in the settings menu? It makes a big difference!
 

I was initially using a pair of on-ear Sennheisers. Had to change the settings to get the audio sounding right. Then switched back to my usual over ear Sennheisers and had to recalibrate the settings again.
 

Demon’s Souls sounds absolutely fantastic. Really immersive and atmospheric. Made me duck out the way of arrows quite a few times and on one occasion I jumped like all fuck when I heard an enemy creeping up behind me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:


Have you done the ear height setting or whatever, that’s in the settings menu? It makes a big difference!
 

I was initially using a pair of on-ear Sennheisers. Had to change the settings to get the audio sounding right. Then switched back to my usual over ear Sennheisers and had to recalibrate the settings again.
 

Demon’s Souls sounds absolutely fantastic. Really immersive and atmospheric. Made me duck out the way of arrows quite a few times and on one occasion I jumped like all fuck when I heard an enemy creeping up behind me!

Yeah, it's all calibrated. It may just be Destiny, Demon's certainly sounded pretty great.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Yeah, it's all calibrated. It may just be Destiny, Demon's certainly sounded pretty great.

 


Yeah, sounds like it. Some of the other games still sound great but Demon’s is on another level.

 

There was a pretty big difference between the on ear and over ear headphones too, even when calibrated. The on-ear ones, are a brilliant set of headphones, but like most cheaper consumer sets (think they were about £60-£70), have an altered frequency response, that’s add top end and bass. I wonder if that can screw with the 3D-Audio a bit? The over ears I’ve got are a set of quality studio headphones, which cost a lot more but they have a flat response. Wouldn’t mind trying a few more sets just to see how they fair! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

The PS5 should sync them all down automatically, I think. I just had my PS5 sync locally from my PS4 when I set it up though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't find the height setting option for 3D sound helpful at all. I can't really detect any differences in height in maybe all but the absolute lowest setting.

 

They all sound different but none of them necessarily sound correct. Like, I don't know what they intend for this babbling brook to actually sound like. I hear different sonic elements in all of them, it just seems a very strange choice of sound to base calibration on for me.

 

One thing I have noticed is that unless games specifically say they support the 3D sound it can sound rubbish. Demon's Souls is great as has already been mentioned but Bugsnax sounded terrible. Walking across a river in Bugsnax it sounded so muted I switched 3D off and it was night and day in terms of clarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hi all - now, I don't want to jynx it, and I'll obviously believe it when it's plugged into my TV and I'm playing Astro Bot, but if my calculations are correct I'm now a member of the PS5 owners club.

 

I'd like to get my PS4 game saves transferred so I can continue where I left off, only now is 60fps - I believe Playstation Plus membership enables this, but I'm not particularly interested in Plus itself, or paying for it long-term.  Would it be sufficient to get a short trial like this one from CD Keys for 99p, enable it on the PS4, confirm the saves were backed up to cloud, then log into the PS5 and force them all to download to the local system before the trial ends?

 

The trial only works if you've never had PSPlus before. Also, be aware that when I did this with the PS4 (hopefully this has changed as it was a few years ago) you could only re-download a save from the cloud to local storage if the game was installed on the console. The USB option if you have a USB stick is a better option in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the swift replies guys, sounds like I should keep the PS4 online while setting up the PS5 so it can auto-sync in that case (and have a USB handy as a plan B).

 

I'm going on a hunt for the best prices on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and was hoping not to break the £100 barrier on both (god, that's a lot of money, having only played Game Pass games over the past 2 months!), but if anyone has a link they can share for a good price on those I'd be grateful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Thanks for the swift replies guys, sounds like I should keep the PS4 online while setting up the PS5 so it can auto-sync in that case (and have a USB handy as a plan B).

 

I'm going on a hunt for the best prices on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and was hoping not to break the £100 barrier on both (god, that's a lot of money, having only played Game Pass games over the past 2 months!), but if anyone has a link they can share for a good price on those I'd be grateful. 

 

Spider-Man and Miles Morales for £55

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089X8KRKV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_P-PdGbXB62SA0

 

Demon Souls for £60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089X44HC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_PaQdGbM4B3ZK0

 

So £100 for Demon Souls & Miles Morales 

 

And £15 for Spider-Man?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'm going on a hunt for the best prices on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and was hoping not to break the £100 barrier on both (god, that's a lot of money, having only played Game Pass games over the past 2 months!), but if anyone has a link they can share for a good price on those I'd be grateful. 

Indeed makes a huge difference. Must admit when I was pondering about getting a next gen console last year the game prices put me off a bit on the PS5. For £120 got three years sub to GamePass and always found something to play on there.

 

 Prices will drop though and there should plenty around now as people finish the games. Seen a few up in the trading folder here if you don't mind picking up used copies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AI said:

 

Spider-Man and Miles Morales for £55

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089X8KRKV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_P-PdGbXB62SA0

 

Demon Souls for £60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089X44HC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_PaQdGbM4B3ZK0

 

So £100 for Demon Souls & Miles Morales 

 

And £15 for Spider-Man?

 

Nice upsell! :D

 

To be honest, if I go with Amazon that'll guarantee delivery at the same time as the system itself, and there's no point in whipping oneself into an excitable frenzy if you then don't follow through and spend daft money on getting the games right away!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popo said:

 

Nice upsell! :D

 

To be honest, if I go with Amazon that'll guarantee delivery at the same time as the system itself, and there's no point in whipping oneself into an excitable frenzy if you then don't follow through and spend daft money on getting the games right away!

 

Aren't you still making your way through Dark Souls? If so I'd just grab MM and wait on Demon's till you've wrapped up Dark Souls, might have come down in price.

 

You're in for a treat with the Demon's Souls BTW, I had my reservations about them not quite getting From's aesthetic but having played it through it's a beautiful game in its own right and the new animation is superb. The sound design is arguably unparalleled in gaming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

It's going to be very hard to go back and finish off Dark Souls now @petrolgirls!

 

Do finish it up first! Dark Souls is From's second best game IMO, (behind Bloodborne, obviously) and is quite closely related to Demon's in some respects (although very different in others). Either way, be interested to read your thoughts on how the two stack up against each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I think the Tempest stuff is only decent.if the game is actually programmed to use it.

 

You'd imagine the launch games would use it since they're usually the ones showing off the new tech.  Like Astrobot using the haptic triggers.

It sounded amazing in the cerny presentation.  Maybe it works best after you've sent your ear profile to Cerny.   When's that happening?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Popo said:

 

Nice upsell! :D

 

To be honest, if I go with Amazon that'll guarantee delivery at the same time as the system itself, and there's no point in whipping oneself into an excitable frenzy if you then don't follow through and spend daft money on getting the games right away!

Just to point out, MM is in the trading folder for £30, and Demon's Souls for £40 if you don't mind second hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Majora said:

I don't find the height setting option for 3D sound helpful at all. I can't really detect any differences in height in maybe all but the absolute lowest setting.

 

They all sound different but none of them necessarily sound correct. Like, I don't know what they intend for this babbling brook to actually sound like. I hear different sonic elements in all of them, it just seems a very strange choice of sound to base calibration on for me.

 

One thing I have noticed is that unless games specifically say they support the 3D sound it can sound rubbish. Demon's Souls is great as has already been mentioned but Bugsnax sounded terrible. Walking across a river in Bugsnax it sounded so muted I switched 3D off and it was night and day in terms of clarity.

 

If it's any comfort, the height adjustment doesn't really have much effect for me either. That settings page does say that it's different for everyone, which I took to mean that I'm an auditory freak that doesn't deserve good 3D sound. At least now we're not alone.

 

I don't actually have any games yet that support it so I have no idea how it works in practice. I've also just left it disabled for now, because of the issues with some games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Popo said:

Thanks for the swift replies guys, sounds like I should keep the PS4 online while setting up the PS5 so it can auto-sync in that case (and have a USB handy as a plan B).

 

I'm going on a hunt for the best prices on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and was hoping not to break the £100 barrier on both (god, that's a lot of money, having only played Game Pass games over the past 2 months!), but if anyone has a link they can share for a good price on those I'd be grateful. 

 

 

There is someone (not me)selling Demon's for £40 in Trading and someone else (also not me) asking £30 for MM.

 

EDIT: must remember to read ahead before replying!

 

Also, if you are only buying two games for now then I would definitely consider Sackboy over MM. Especially if you've already played Spiderman as it just  more of the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Majora said:

I don't find the height setting option for 3D sound helpful at all. I can't really detect any differences in height in maybe all but the absolute lowest setting.

 

They all sound different but none of them necessarily sound correct. Like, I don't know what they intend for this babbling brook to actually sound like. I hear different sonic elements in all of them, it just seems a very strange choice of sound to base calibration on for me.

 

One thing I have noticed is that unless games specifically say they support the 3D sound it can sound rubbish. Demon's Souls is great as has already been mentioned but Bugsnax sounded terrible. Walking across a river in Bugsnax it sounded so muted I switched 3D off and it was night and day in terms of clarity.


The on-ear headphones I first tried were a bit like that. All of the selections on the ear height set-up sounded a bit out of phase and weak. There didn’t seem to be much difference between the selections themselves either. That all translated to in game audio too. Things sounded much better with it switched off just using normal audio.
 

The over ear headphones totally changed that. Could clearly hear when the audio was at ear level and it sounded clear and full just as it should.

 

The calibration is based on hearing one of the settings directly at ear level. You should hear settings clearly above ear and below ear level. What kind of headphones are you using?

 

With Demon’s I could hear the environments all around me, enemies creeping up behind me, arrows flying past my head, the dragon swooping down over me on 1-2 etc. I found it incredibly impressive, but it’s one of those things you quickly get used to and then take for granted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.