PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

13 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I'd be curious to hear from others here whether or not this issue is really a problem or just a few early adopters having issues spooking the rest of the community.

I had a couple of lock ups very, very early on in Souls and that’s it. I do all the forbidden things. I think the problem is really just MM, external HDDs and Rest Mode maybe affect it but I’ve never had any issues with my games.

12 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

I run an external drive with all my PS4 titles on from the rear usb and had no issue since finishing MM , couldn't be happier with mine tbh

Just now, Spacehost said:

I had a couple of lock ups very, very early on in Souls and that’s it. I do all the forbidden things. I think the problem is really just MM, external HDDs and Rest Mode maybe affect it but I’ve never had any issues with my games.

This is what I get every time I post 'no issues' with the PS5 using rest mode and an external HDD... Someone here must have had an issue or it's launch day FUD from people using shonky drives and or using the front USB (which Sony explicitly tells you NOT TO USE for an external HDD)

12 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Getting mine tomorrow so anything I need to know beforehand. I'll be hooking it up to my CX. Is PS+ worth it for £37.49.

Depends if you regularly play online. If you do, yes. If not, then it depends on how likely you are to play the "free" games. From my own experience of both PSPlus and Xbox Live Gold, is that I so infrequently played any of the games given away that it wasn't worth it.

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

If you've missed out on some of the PS4 "classics" included in the PS+ collection then it's worth a sub for checking those out alone, in my opinion.

This - less value for me as I had all but two of the games they added but if you haven't got them it's amazing value.

@Quexex I've been using an external HDD since launch, played pretty much every big game available for the PS5 at this point, online and offline, always use rest mode just like with the PS4. Not a single issue with anything. No crashes. No whine. It sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones, though, or the lone voice of the silent majority. 

And yeah @Hitcher, PS+ isn't ordinarily worth it for the monthly games unless you play online a lot, but the Instant Game Collection will be a revelation coming from the Xbox exclusives. If you've never played Bloodborne, The Last Of Us, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Until Dawn, Persona 5, you're in for a treat. God of War and Days Gone didn't do it for me but plenty of folk rate them highly. 

I do feel like some of the games came out a little hot, and like the OS needs a patch. I've had more crashes than I would expect, but at the same time I've hardly been plagued by them. I think I had a couple in MM before it got its patch (and probably before that first OS patch also) that were hard crashes, but since then not a lot. A lock-up or two in Demon's Souls. A crash or two in Maneater (which is pretty clearly a fairly low-effort port.)

I've had an interesting crash a couple of times where the PS5 OS crashes, but manages to do so in such a way that, once you've done the report the crash screen, you end up back in the game uninterrupted.

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

@Quexex I've been using an external HDD since launch, played pretty much every big game available for the PS5 at this point, online and offline, always use rest mode just like with the PS4. Not a single issue with anything. No crashes. No whine. It sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones, though, or the lone voice of the silent majority. 

I'm pretty sure you are in the silent majority, sadly the minority voices with issues seem to shout the loudest and make people believe there are issues where there are not. Such is the internet... 

Anyway - so far, no one has posted having issues with rest mode + HDD - maybe the first page needs editing to let new PS5 owners know they are safe to use Rest Mode and an External HDD...

@Quexex I don't think there's any malice or anything misinformation intended, just that there's no great motivation to excitedly proclaim 'it works as advertised!!!'

There was similar around the Switch launch with docks apparently scratching the fuck out of the screens and people making custom silk inlays and stuff but I haven't heard those stories ever in the subsequent three and a half years. 

Just now, Marlew said:

@Quexex I don't think there's any malice or anything misinformation intended, just that there's no great motivation to excitedly proclaim 'it works as advertised!!!'

There was similar around the Switch launch with docks apparently scratching the fuck out of the screens and people making custom silk inlays and stuff but I haven't heard those stories ever in the subsequent three and a half years. 

Oh god no, no malice at all, just trying to counter the miss information that seems to be stopping new users getting the most out of their system.

I've had Demon's Souls hard crash a couple of times when resuming from rest mode after a long-ish break of several days to a week. No external drive connected. Also had Sackboy crash a couple of times but that seemed repeatable and likely an issue with the game (both times were when I was spending ages chasing costumes at Zumbo's).

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

I wonder how much of an issue this is now?

I've been running rest mode + external HDD since launch and only had a couple of hard locks on Spiderman MM. Seems a lot of people have a fear of rest mode and external HDD since a few people reported issues around launch I took a risk and it's been fine.

I'd be curious to hear from others here whether or not this issue is really a problem or just a few early adopters having issues spooking the rest of the community. I know every time I mention this a number of people respond with the same experience as me with no issues with an external HDD or Rest Mode but no one says they are still having issues.

My set up

1. 4K, direct connection to TV, no soundbar or surround system
  2. 4TB Seagate external HDD (one USB, no external PSU) - rear USB (never use the front USB A port for an external HDD) - this drive was used on a PS4 before hand and it moved over to the PS5 flawlessly
  3. Rest Mode - was powering USB for 3hrs, then all the time, now off, download updates but do not install them
  4. Anker USB hub (rear ports) for VR + peripherals (racing wheel or HOTAS)

Be interested to see if those with or without issues have a similar setup.

You’re a braver man than me! :)

To be fair I’ve not actually missed using an external drive. My original plan with the PS5 was to only have a couple of games on the go at a time, as I’ve found I actually enjoy stuff more and actually, get this, finish stuff (imagine that) when there’s not 100’s of games all ready to be fired up at the drop of a hat! Plus my external drive has got a dodgy lead so yeah, fuck that!

Rest mode is slightly more of an issue as it’s how I’ve always charged my pads. Luckily I’m playing Dark Souls at the moment so can just leave the DualSense charging in the background ready for PS5 stuff.

Daren’t risk changing anything now. Need my daily fix of PlayStation to keep me going!  My mates not got his PS5 back from Sony, after he sent it to be repaired and it’s been weeks now. 

Im surprised there hasn't been more of a thing on news sites detailing the issues with Sonys console. 

All the media outlets were wanking over it in review and didnt seem to want to bring up the issues. I honestly think people like just giving Sony a pass regardless. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Im surprised there hasn't been more of a thing on news sites detailing the issues with Sonys console. 

All the media outlets were wanking over it in review and didnt seem to want to bring up the issues. I honestly think people like just giving Sony a pass regardless. 

Not enough people have one, so the 'outcry' is more of a blip than an actual thing. Never mind comparing it to certain other events in the UK. Haven't seen much coverage of the Xbox suspend issues as well in that respect. Too few cases.

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

I just don't think it's that big of a deal in reality. Like somebody upthread mentioned, almost nobody is going to make noise when things are working as you'd expect. It's certainly not news worthy given the current climate.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Not enough people have one, so the 'outcry' is more of a blip than an actual thing. Never mind comparing it to certain other events in the UK. Haven't seen much coverage of the Xbox suspend issues as well in that respect. Too few cases.

Suspend issue? Do you mean quick resume? 

That not working is far less of an issue than consoles hard crashing. Works fine for me most of the time. 

10 minutes ago, Ry said:

Ah yes Ry and Thor are the two PS5 early adopters on here that seemed to have consistent issues. 

2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Ah yes Ry and Thor are the two PS5 early adopters on here that seemed to have consistent issues. 

Theres plenty of people reporting issues here and on other forums. Had a quick search and there are a few gaming outlets reporting it. Just seemed to be ignored though, because....i dunno. People are willing to put up with issues?

It’s not an unusually large number of consoles having an unusually large number of problems that are unusually hard to resolve for the consumer. There’s no story. Every other iPhone has had some chronic fault that affected a decent percentage of users - which is far more people in absolute numbers than have the PS5 issue - but you only heard about when Apple did a voluntary exchange program to fix it, because that was news.

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Theres plenty of people reporting issues here and on other forums. Had a quick search and there are a few gaming outlets reporting it. Just seemed to be ignored though, because....i dunno. People are willing to put up with issues?

People should never put up with issues, if their console is faulty they should get it replaced. 2-3% failure rate is expected on electronics hardware. If Sony have shipped more than 5mill world wide that is potentially a lot of issues - I don't think we are seeing that kind of magnitude though.

Mines been flawless (so far, touch wood) - bar once or twice my tvs automatic HDMI switching seems to have had problems, and doesn't automatically switch, or only finds the audio and not the image. Until I change HDMI myself. The smallest, of smallest issues - and might be my TV. It also is constantly dropping into and out of game mode on my X - which is actually rather tiring.