IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

17 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

I think the speculation has moved to how many Shader Engines theyve crammed onto the APU: 2 for 36 CUs (2 x20 per SE minus 4 compute units disabled) or 3 for 54 CUs (3 x 20 w/ 4 CUs disabled). The first option with 2 SEs concurs with the numbers from the github leak and the PS5 thus has to perform around 8-9.2 TF @ 1.8 - 2.0 GHz. If it has 3 SEs, and thus able to have 3 different steps to performance: 1 SE for PS4 BC, 2 SEs for PS4Pro BC, and then all 3 working simultaneously in a PS5 only mode. That would bring the performance up to somewhere between 12 and 13 TF. This would also mean that the data from the github leak regarding the PS5 only referred to BC testing.

Personally I think the last option is going to be too expensive for Sony to bring to the market right now. Ive said previously that both the PS5 and Series X are going to be 450 at launch but I think you also have to take into consideration that the PS5 is going to compete with the Switch, which is in a pretty good place at the moment and costs around 280 - 300. They probably cant ignore that and have to place the PS5 around 399 official, but with deals making it go for 369-379. And I dont think they can hit that spot with a 54 CU APU with all of the bells and whistles. Then its more likely that they are going to do something like that (a 3 x Shader Engine APU) for a mid gen refresh, for the PS 5 Pro.

Any good links to some of this speculation?

1 minute ago, Orbital2060 said:

read this you wanker

hey dude, I think he’s just saying that the text you wrote is impenetrable to him in the style of the poster centurion who put random words together and posts them. 

Your post made sense to me. I’d like to know more!

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

The price for both consoles could increase the RRP for consumers. Or be limited to a certain amount per quota for how many consoles are produced.

this i can’t make sense of though.  :)

Can you re-state?   :)

20 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Were you meaning something like Nintendo carve out some form of niche with their hardware - in effect running a different race to to the one between Microsoft and Sony?

Yes.

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

No worries. I was probably being a bit thick.

I don't proofread it. Which is probably something I need to start doing. But yes. I meant to say that Nintendo knows it won't be able to compete with the juggernauts when it comes to consoles, so they makes stuff that is different and appeals to people more. Not to say they don't shift hardware, they do. 

Twitter

RDNA1 does not support ray tracing.

"Next-gen news out of AMD presentation today - PS5 is also RDNA2 just like Xbox Series X - Development is on track, sounding like NO DELAYS - RDNA 2 has a 50% increase in performance per watt over RDNA1 - Hardware accelerated ray tracing continues to be a MAJOR next-gen focus".

23 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Twitter

RDNA1 does not support ray tracing.

"Next-gen news out of AMD presentation today - PS5 is also RDNA2 just like Xbox Series X - Development is on track, sounding like NO DELAYS - RDNA 2 has a 50% increase in performance per watt over RDNA1 - Hardware accelerated ray tracing continues to be a MAJOR next-gen focus".

Where in that slide does it mention the PS5? That presentation was about what RDNA2 brings to the PC/XB market (hence talking about DXR). It'll be strange if it isn't, but that slide does not say what you think it does.

44 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Something about RDNA 2 being missing......:sherlock:

Something about that being 5 months old and well before AMD would be letting anyone talk about their next GPU architecture.

8 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Where in that slide does it mention the PS5? That presentation was about what RDNA2 brings to the PC/XB market (hence talking about DXR). It'll be strange if it isn't, but that slide does not say what you think it does.

It doesn't in that slide, but it was quite clear at the AMD meeting that RDNA 2 is in both consoles.