PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

My machine started to do odd things yesterday whilst watching Netflix. Beforehand I'd been playing Demons Souls via disc and closed the game/app in the proper way and left the disc in the machine. 

We started watching Better Call Saul on Netflix, and about half-way through the 2nd episode the disc drive spun up to max revs! I pressed the pause button the controller and it seemed to stop. Put it down to an odd occurrence. Then it did it again through the 3rd episode and wouldn't shut up, so ejected the disc.

No idea what is going on here, had no such similar issues on the PS4 Pro. 

I'm still slightly peeved that these machines, when you start a game, spin up the disc inside again for a minute or so at full pelt. No games actually run off the disc, its all initially installed to HDD, so why are you maxing out the drive when the game loads? Even if I insert a disc, walk off for 10 minutes, come back, start the game, it whirs up again. I haven't pressed the eject button, this disc has already been read and verified, so why do this?

The PS5 will periodically read whatever disc is in the drive. That’s what you’re experiencing. I think it’s to try and stymy “disc swap” exploits or something.

This came 2 weeks early. I played it for 20 mins before touching the disc eject button and got a hell of an electric shock and the thing turned off. I thought it was fucked. I unplugged it and let it discharge because I’m pretty sure I had built up static from the carpet when I touched it. It works again now. 

it’s amazing. Cyberpunk feels like an actual game. It should never have been released on PS4/ Xbone. Can’t wait to play Spider-Man and ghost of Tsushima. I have demon souls too obviously but I like to enjoy playing video games and prefer not to tear my hair out of my skull. 

B1638605-1123-4240-9BAE-6DCE583860A3.jpeg

6 hours ago, Spacehost said:

The PS5 will periodically read whatever disc is in the drive. That’s what you’re experiencing. I think it’s to try and stymy “disc swap” exploits or something.

I thought that initially (a bit of blue tak over the PS1 lid sensor), but this seems new to me. The PS4 didn't do this.

With the disc version of the machine then, you can hop over to Netflix after playing a game to relax (marketing blurb) and have the disc drive ramp up to max speed and stupid volume at any point during your film (the reality)

Normally with consoles I put a set of 4 milty pods underneath the base, but with the stupid horizontal dimensions of this thing it's impossible (I've tried)

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

I’m really looking forward to this tomorrow :D

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Me too, I would 100% have bought this at launch if it was out.

I admire your positivity about this one as I'm still unconvinced. At least the developers have a good history of making great games. Really pleased it's on plus as it's a multiplayer game I think it would have died quite quickly at £69.99. 

Makes me wonder if PSPlus is better value in terms of marketing dollars than the usual marketing channels. 

27 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I admire your positivity about this one as I'm still unconvinced. At least the developers have a good history of making great games. Really pleased it's on plus as it's a multiplayer game I think it would have died quite quickly at £69.99. 

Makes me wonder if PSPlus is better value in terms of marketing dollars than the usual marketing channels. 

I’m hopeful it’ll at least be fun, probably won’t hit the heights  of Rocket League but people play Fall Guys which is utter garbage :P so anything is possible. That’s the first video I’ve seen where I kind of get how the in car/out of car bit works. Sounds as though there are some single player challenges etc too.

I agree it would have just died at £69.99 though.

I expect the servers will immediately crash on release though as with every new MP game :facepalm:.

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I've only had Quick Resume for a couple of months but already miss it when swapping between games on the PS5.

Do you use the activity cards e.g. you can be back in Miles Morales, even on a different sub-mission within 7 secs? That’s pretty quick!

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

Oh boy!!

God of War PS5 patch tomorrow gives 4K60 performance!!

Yummy!!

I’m reaping the rewards of buying lots of PS4 games and never playing them now. :D

I got my PS4 in 2014 having switched from Xbox. I loved it and had many, many years of excellent playtime out of it and it never gave me a single issue. Even just switching it on up until yesterday was excellent and satisfying, it felt like the pinnacle of console sophistication and technology. It was the kind of console that only existed in the dreams of my N64-owning child self. 

Then I played the PS5 for five minutes yesterday and was like “oh that thing was trash lmao”

12 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Oh boy!!

God of War PS5 patch tomorrow gives 4K60 performance!!

Yummy!!

Wow, I had wondered why they didn't do this at launch as there seemed to be an update. However, I am pleased as I have to play through the game again anyway having lost my save :(

15 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I've only had Quick Resume for a couple of months but already miss it when swapping between games on the PS5.

it does seem like a great feature tbh, does it work on all Xbox games including BC even if they are on an external HDD? Activity cards are a great alternative but obviously they only work for actual PS5 games and not PS4.

24 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Storage is filling up fast already. Share factory is 25gb?! And the "other" folder is nearly at 100gb!

100Gb?! That's nuts.

I've got 18Gb in mine and that's with 95 games (3Tb) on an external drive.

31 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Have you got video capture on Trophies turned on? That will fill it up, and it's on by default. 

Yeah, good about. Although that wouldn't go into the "Other" folder.

@p1nseeker Do you have many PS4 games on your PS5 internal SSD? A quick Google suggests that having them on an external drive reduces the amount of space goes into the "Other" folder. Maybe something to do with how the games are stored and accessed from the SSD?

It may be worth doing a database rebuild. 

The machine has been under my gaming TV now for over a week, and I really can't find a lot of love for either the looks or the form factor, especially laying horizontally (my only real option here). 

Those YouTube early review units where bullshit silent. Normally on the dashboard or Netflix/YouTube it is pretty quiet, but once a game loads up it sounds like a cinema projector. It's not huge amounts of volume, but bollocks is it silent. It can be a little off-putting when the quieter bits of Demons Souls kick in.

My major worry with the fan noise will be the eventual firmware updates that will end up screwing the machine and making the fan speed up. I swear the PS4 Pro was very good when I first got it, subsequent updates just ended up killing it until it became a running joke.

The disc drive is the worst culprit. When I watched the reveal trailer for this machine I thought the disc slot would be on the top of the machine. When I started seeing images of the drive at the bottom I thought they'd got it wrong, but no - its correct. Its a daft place to put it. It's so cack-handed putting a disc in, instead of a hand top-down claw position like 99.9% of everything else you've ever put a disc into, you have to cup it and get it in. Already dropped the disc a few times. A dumb decision. 

The drive itself is also loud and vibrates like a bastard, but this is more to do with the form factor of the actual machine. The size of the thing doesn't bother me, but the fact it doesn't have a flat underside means that isolating the vibrations from the drive are not as straightforward as putting some Milty Pods underneath like before. The crap stand it comes with is very awkward, no other word for it. 

I've now got the machine perched on x2 old cork-backed table mats which are supported by x6 Milty Pods underneath, and then the stand-base and machine on-top of those, just so when I change discs in the middle of the night, it doesn't wake anyone up downstairs as the drive spins up and literally thunders down thought the floorboards making a right racket. 

Liking the games and the extra free content for older games, but the machine itself, on the outside, just does my head in how unpractical it is overall, and its nothing to do with it's size, merely its unorthodox design and shitty stand. It shouldn't really need a stand to lie horizontally, this is surely a console first, possibly in any consumer electronics of it's nature. I hope it doesn't catch on.

Does anyone know if the coil whine/humming/irratating noise from the console can be fixed a bit? Do the people that don't have an issue lay it flat or vertical?