PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

the reason I’m going with the one forum friend recommended is because 1) he has one and 2) he is a dev so I trust him more than he probably deserves. He said it’s lightning fast

Tempted, always good to get a recommendation.

Let’s take a minute to talk about how staggeringly awful this is as a disc media player- honestly, playing a Blu-Ray on this sounds like there’s a motorboat engine in my TV unit; the disc drive makes the entire thing wobble and vibrate. I can’t wait for a revision of this that doesn’t ruin the experience.

29 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Let’s take a minute to talk about how staggeringly awful this is as a disc media player- honestly, playing a Blu-Ray on this sounds like there’s a motorboat engine in my TV unit; the disc drive makes the entire thing wobble and vibrate. I can’t wait for a revision of this that doesn’t ruin the experience.

Oh shit really? Are they all like that or is it a luck-of-the-draw thing like cool whine?

Finished hitman. Not quite sure how to fill up my gaming time until the next game (resident evil in May).

bear in mind, until PS5 I didn’t have a PRO or 4K TV...

-Uncharted 4 again

- LOU2 again

-GOW again in 60fps

- Continue Horizon Zero Dawn on the additional easy mode they added (I got about 10-15 hrs into it and gave up, too difficult)

- Play Control for the first time (would buy 1 month sub to psplus)

- Play Star Wars  fallen order for the first time 

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

Finished hitman. Not quite sure how to fill up my gaming time until the next game (resident evil in May).

Have you ever just sat and stared at a Rothko? 

Anyone know if you can use a PSPlus 14 day trial on an account where you've had Plus before?

I'm trying to activate my account temporarily so I can grab control but it's not working, and I'm just trying to work out if it's because I've already been a member of if the code has already been used.

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

Anyone know if you can use a PSPlus 14 day trial on an account where you've had Plus before?

I'm trying to activate my account temporarily so I can grab control but it's not working, and I'm just trying to work out if it's because I've already been a member of if the code has already been used.

No, I don’t think you can use trials if you were a member before.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I’d play Control out of that lot @Capwn, it’s excellent, and the Ultimate Edition on PS Plus is the best looking console version yet. 

I started Control for the first time yesterday (albeit on a PS4 Pro) and the lighting is pretty incredible even on that.

Also I'm about to have a fight with a telephone.

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

bear in mind, until PS5 I didn’t have a PRO or 4K TV...

-Uncharted 4 again

- LOU2 again

-GOW again in 60fps

- Continue Horizon Zero Dawn on the additional easy mode they added (I got about 10-15 hrs into it and gave up, too difficult)

- Play Control for the first time (would buy 1 month sub to psplus)

- Play Star Wars  fallen order for the first time 

Dare you to play an indie game.

12 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Yeah, tried the Midsommar UHD on it last night and the noise it makes is unreal. I didn't notice it wobbling and vibrating though, is your base fixed securely?

Back to the One X as a disc spinner for me...

For noisy disc drives the supplied stand is fucking awful, especially for horizontal placement. It was also true of the 360 and PS4 before, but at least it had a flat base and taking action was nothing more that putting a set of 4 Milty Pods under them.

spacer.png

You need to reduce the amount of vibration thundering through your stand to whatever surface you have it planted on. Due to the stand being completely impractical for this, for the moment I've used x4 old table mats that have a shiny top and a cork base, and then put some Milty Pods under the mats. The PS5's stand then sits onto of the mats, cork side up of course. 

Makes a massive difference. Some have used mousemats etc, anything that is flat and not too rigid, like cork of a good piece of wood like a chopping board. You don't necessarily need the Milty Pods underneath to get a massive benefit.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone bothers to make a proper 3rd party stand that can help in this regard. At the moment, the default configuration is terrible.