PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I picked up Death Stranding in a sale a while back but was saving it for when I had a console that didn’t sound like a bouncy castle.

Started playing it last night on PS5 and what a stunner! It’s not even had any next gen patches has it?

On 19/02/2021 at 11:41, df0 said:

Bit of a weird one. Does the PS5 support HomePod (in other words, AirPlay 2)? My LG OLED is too old (does not support AirPlay 2).

No. An AirPlay compatible TV wouldn’t make a difference either because they’re only receivers.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I picked up Death Stranding in a sale a while back but was saving it for when I had a console that didn’t sound like a bouncy castle.

Started playing it last night on PS5 and what a stunner! It’s not even had any next gen patches has it?

No patches or updates at all for next-gen machines. I'm hoping for a PS5-specific release that uses the triggers and vibration of the new pad, you know Kojima would have a lot of fun with that.

18 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

No patches or updates at all for next-gen machines. I'm hoping for a PS5-specific release that uses the triggers and vibration of the new pad, you know Kojima would have a lot of fun with that.

Oh man with all the different terrain and surface textures?  :wub:

Hmmm. Now I don’t know if I should hold out playing until a patch is released. Surely they’re working on it?

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

One of my favourite games of the last gen . Utterly unique , utter bonkers , utterly stupid . 

I’d love them to do a ps5 version with haptics 

After having a blast with the PS5 the first few months, I've really struggled to find a game I click with. Control and DaysGone I got bored of after a hour or so. I tried replaying GodOfWar but have totally forgotten everything so newgame+ was just too overwhelming. Tried from the start but the size of that game puts me off.

Maybe Uncharted 4 again?

This is like 1983!

25 minutes ago, Capwn said:

After having a blast with the PS5 the first few months, I've really struggled to find a game I click with. Control and DaysGone I got bored of after a hour or so. I tried replaying GodOfWar but have totally forgotten everything so newgame+ was just too overwhelming. Tried from the start but the size of that game puts me off.

Maybe Uncharted 4 again?

This is like 1983!

I normally get like that after a big game. Sounds like it’s time for an indie or two. 

Haven't played in about a week and tonight when I boot up I'm presented with an HDR black screen!

Couple of reboots and no luck so I try Safe Mode. Change to 1080p and it's back. Check the Video Output Information and it says all options are available so I change back to 2160p and it's black again. Switch off and unplug for the night.

Piece of shit hardware!

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Haven't played in about a week and tonight when I boot up I'm presented with an HDR black screen!

Couple of reboots and no luck so I try Safe Mode. Change to 1080p and it's back. Check the Video Output Information and it says all options are available so I change back to 2160p and it's black again. Switch off and unplug for the night.

Piece of shit hardware!

try turning hdcp off, it sounds like it could be a handshake issue

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Piece of shit hardware!

Are you using the HDMI cable it came with? Because the HDMI cable it came with is shit.

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

Maybe Uncharted 4 again?

This is like 1983!

Stick with Control until you unlock the ability to pick up and launch enemies at each other. From that moment I was hooked. I grew to fucking love that game despite only playing the first few hours because it was there, I’d heard it was good and it was free. Didn’t warm to it very much at all in those early stages, but oh my shit, did things escalate :D

23 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Yes. Why is it shit? It should be up to the job surely?

You'd think.

Mine kept giving me a black screen when trying to do 4K. Replaced it and it's fine.

Had similar issues with the PS4's included cable!

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Seems to be ok this morning but I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

I had loads of problems with my PS4 Pro - black screen etc. I got one of these and haven’t had a single issue since

Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 10ft - Black https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GCGKK82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_F2DYS69F78PFRKR4CVXG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, you are quite correct you shouldn’t have to spend a fiver on a cable to replace the one that comes with your £450 device!

Not to add another confusing perspective but I had loads of dropout issues with PS4 pro/ps5 and my Samsung TV. Probably some kind of handshaking issue with 4K content. 

What eventually fixed it was running things through an HDMI hub before they got to the tv. 

19 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I recently picked it up but its been put in the backlog. Is it 60fps standard? Or am i better waiting for a PS5 patch?

4 hours ago, Ry said:

I recently picked it up but its been put in the backlog. Is it 60fps standard? Or am i better waiting for a PS5 patch?

Depends on what else you’ve got to play really. It’s 30 (which isn’t a deal breaker personally) but there’s rumours of a patch and a kind of “ultimate edition” coming so you might want to hold out if you can jump on something else first.

I’m not sure what to do myself. I almost tweeted Kojima yesterday :lol:

Got a bonus so thinking about picking up a PS5 - can anyone point me in the right direction for a normal retail copy (UK) or do scalpers still rule the roost? 

Also any thoughts on whether to get the digital only version or the disc version? Does reselling games seem worth the extra cost of the disc version?

22 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I’d love them to do a ps5 version with haptics 

Are you insane? Do you want the busywork of holding down both triggers to balance a load intensified by Kojima adding suitable resistance to said triggers?  

38 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Are you insane? Do you want the busywork of holding down both triggers to balance a load intensified by Kojima adding suitable resistance to said triggers?  

I... I want that...don't kinkshame me here.

55 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Yes please . Hurt me Kojima. 

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Got a bonus so thinking about picking up a PS5 - can anyone point me in the right direction for a normal retail copy (UK) or do scalpers still rule the roost? 

Also any thoughts on whether to get the digital only version or the disc version? Does reselling games seem worth the extra cost of the disc version?

Alan, Stock is scarce, and when it is available, it's stupid o'clock in the morning, and sells out in seconds because scalpers use bots. If you have PS4 games on disc then you want the disc version.