PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

4 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Probably been asked a few times in this thread already, but how do I delete all the demos I have in my Game Library?

You don’t. Sony removed the PS4 option of hiding them as well. 

Does anyone have the PS5 Media Remote? I'm wondering whether to switch to PS5 for streaming apps. The main issue with the Xbox is having to use the control pad.

It sounds like the PS5 Media Remote can control the TV volume and TV on/off via IR, on "compatible TVs" (I have a Sony TV so I would hope it's compatible), using an IR transmitter. Has anyone tried this? Media remotes that rely on an IR receiver on the console itself are no good to me as there is no line-of-sight between the sofa and the front of my consoles.

15 minutes ago, Pob said:

Does anyone have the PS5 Media Remote? I'm wondering whether to switch to PS5 for streaming apps. The main issue with the Xbox is having to use the control pad.

It sounds like the PS5 Media Remote can control the TV volume and TV on/off via IR, on "compatible TVs" (I have a Sony TV so I would hope it's compatible), using an IR transmitter. Has anyone tried this? Media remotes that rely on an IR receiver on the console itself are no good to me as there is no line-of-sight between the sofa and the front of my consoles.

You should be able to control your PS5 with your normal TV remote via HDMI-CEC. You'd only need the media remote if it doesn't support it, but it's worked with every PlayStation and TV I've had since 2009.

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

You should be able to control your PS5 with your normal TV remote via HDMI-CEC. You'd only need the media remote if it doesn't support it, but it's worked with every PlayStation and TV I've had since 2009.

I've tried that in the past and got into all sorts of hot water, but I'll give it another go.

49 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

FWIW the PS5 doesn't have any IR support, it's all over Bluetooth for the remote.

Cheers. That must mean that the Media Remote uses its IR for the TV then, rather than relying on the console relaying commands to the TV. That suits me.

So if the Media Remote can turn the PS5 on (which will then trigger the TV to turn on and switch to the correct input), and the Media Remote can control my TV's volume, then it'd be perfect.

A few 'ifs' there, because of course there is no documentation online to know whether it'll work with my TV (Sony XE90).

Why are people using their superconsoles to watch TV? 

Is it just for the ease of going from gaming to watching telly and not having to switch something else on?

Or is there something that they're technically better at doing than a device such as a Fire TV Stick?

18 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Is it just for the ease of going from gaming to watching telly and not having to switch something else on?

Or is there something that they're technically better at doing than a device such as a Fire TV Stick?

To be honest I never used my PS4 for media playback of any type - that same goes for my PS5. I did used to use the PS3 as it had a great media remote and at the time supported all the main streaming services. Since then I've upgraded the TV so I now just use those apps rather than having a console running as well.

28 minutes ago, Reynard said:

I don't have any kind of fire stick or whatever, and my TV uses Android so takes 5 seconds to respond to any command. Consoles are much better and more responsive in my experience, plus there's a chance of getting down to only having one remote.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

A few 'ifs' there, because of course there is no documentation online to know whether it'll work with my TV (Sony XE90).

I'm surprised that they haven't listed out compatible TVs anywhere, but from a lot of testing I do in the office (in the old days) pretty much any Sony remote works for the basics on pretty much any Sony TV, so you'll likely be fine.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm surprised that they haven't listed out compatible TVs anywhere, but from a lot of testing I do in the office (in the old days) pretty much any Sony remote works for the basics on pretty much any Sony TV, so you'll likely be fine.

Cheers, I reckon I'll go for that media remote. I did just try using my Sony TV remote to control the PS5 and it's okay, but it's not very ergonomic, 80% of the buttons won't be used, and the lack of a button that performs the 'PS' function is a pain.

37 minutes ago, Pob said:

Cheers, I reckon I'll go for that media remote. I did just try using my Sony TV remote to control the PS5 and it's okay, but it's not very ergonomic, 80% of the buttons won't be used, and the lack of a button that performs the 'PS' function is a pain.

The Home button on my Bravia remote does the PS button.

4 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Mine takes me to the TV's shitty homescreen! Which makes sense, otherwise there would no way to get to it. Not that I want to ever get to it, really.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Mine takes me to the TV's shitty homescreen! Which makes sense, otherwise there would no way to get to it. Not that I want to ever get to it, really.

There's a setting somewhere so that the remote's inputs default to go to the connected device rather than the TV, I need to press a special "AnyConnect" or something button on the remote to bring up a menu to let me have the remote control the TV rather than the connected device as a result. I'll have a look later.

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

There's a setting somewhere so that the remote's inputs default to go to the connected device rather than the TV, I need to press a special "AnyConnect" or something button on the remote to bring up a menu to let me have the remote control the TV rather than the connected device as a result. I'll have a look later.

I think this was what sunk me before - it prohibited me accessing the TV's settings in the rare instances that I'd want to, so I binned it off.

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

All this is making ME want the Media Remote...

Haha yeah, it could actually be the single-remote solution that I've never quite managed to attain. Perhaps the combo of HDMI-CEC, IR function and Bluetooth will turn out to be the holy grail of media control.

I can't see any other downsides to the PS5 as a media player, loud disc drive aside. Time will tell how quiet the fans really are.

Is it not an issue that the PS5 forces HDR on everything? So every piece of content you watch on Netflix etc will be in forced HDR mode unless you keep toggling it off in the system menu?

Has anyone played EDF 5 on PS5? I fancy some EDF action. 

Just need to find it at a decent price. Does it ever go on sale on the PS store? 

18 minutes ago, Ry said:

Has anyone played EDF 5 on PS5? I fancy some EDF action. 

Just need to find it at a decent price. Does it ever go on sale on the PS store? 

4.1 is currently dirt cheap and runs bizarrely well on PS5. 5 is currently also on sale but quite a bit pricier. 

24 minutes ago, Majora said:

Is it not an issue that the PS5 forces HDR on everything? So every piece of content you watch on Netflix etc will be in forced HDR mode unless you keep toggling it off in the system menu?

I don't know, I've not tried it. Is that what it does?

I was going to start a 'which new console is the best media player?' thread but I thought it'd be a bit boring. Maybe I should.

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

I was going to start a 'which new console is the best media player?' thread but I thought it'd be a bit boring. Maybe I should.

Depending on your TV you can calibrate it to the point that HDR and SDR content appear correctly I believe.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

1 hour ago, Pob said:

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

59 minutes ago, Pob said:

I think this was what sunk me before - it prohibited me accessing the TV's settings in the rare instances that I'd want to, so I binned it off.

Interesting. I don't use HMDI-CEC on the PS5 with my Harmony remote and my LG TV precisely because of the lack of a PS button. However, if the Home button of a Bravia remote worked, I could copy the Home command from my mother's Sony remote, and it wouldn't disable the access to the LG TV settings

Looks like I have some "work" to do.

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

PS3 ;)