PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

14 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

4.1 is currently dirt cheap and runs bizarrely well on PS5. 5 is currently also on sale but quite a bit pricier. 

Thanks. 

I can see 5 is 23 quid at base. Might pick that up.

2 hours ago, Reynard said:

Why are people using their superconsoles to watch TV? 

Is it just for the ease of going from gaming to watching telly and not having to switch something else on?

Or is there something that they're technically better at doing than a device such as a Fire TV Stick?

I use mine when it’s late and want to watch stuff with headphones on. 

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I use mine when it’s late and want to watch stuff with headphones on. 

Use my series X to watch downloaded films, amazon, Netflix, YouTube because its silent. 

My PS5 will only be used for games witj me wearing headphones. Because its not silent and drives my other half mental. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Use my series X to watch downloaded films, amazon, Netflix, YouTube because its silent. 

My PS5 will only be used for games witj me wearing headphones. Because its not silent and drives my other half mental. 

Ah unlucky mate, mine’s silent as the night.

@Pob that’s weird about the lag on your XE, I had the XD and didn’t have any lag when using the inbuilt apps. It’s a shame as having to have a console on to use apps already installed on the tv sounds like a waste of energy and also potentially more problems such as the picture mode and what not. Have you looked into resolving this lag problem? Actually I remember I experienced it once with the XD almost a year into ownership, I changed the batteries in the remote and viola all sorted!

6 minutes ago, Minion said:

@Pob that’s weird about the lag on your XE, I had the XD and didn’t have any lag when using the inbuilt apps. It’s a shame as having to have a console on to use apps already installed on the tv sounds like a waste of energy and also potentially more problems such as the picture mode and what not. Have you looked into resolving this lag problem? Actually I remember I experienced it once with the XD almost a year into ownership, I changed the batteries in the remote and viola all sorted!

It's not as bad I was making out. In fact it's not input lag, it's how slow it performs tasks, like it's got a 386 processor or something. I hate pretty much everything about the Android TV UI and the massive Sony remote anyway, so I decided to take the hit to my carbon footprint and just use a console. In exchange I haven't flown for about six years.

I just use a Fire TV Stick, but do see the reasons some of you opt for the console.

I personally haven't used a console for media since modded Xbox/PS3 days.  Must be a large difference in power consumption between the two.

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ah unlucky mate, mine’s silent as the night.

2 of them with the same issue as well. 

Tempted to give it a good thwack to see if it fixes something. 

2 hours ago, Pob said:

It's not as bad I was making out. In fact it's not input lag, it's how slow it performs tasks, like it's got a 386 processor or something. I hate pretty much everything about the Android TV UI and the massive Sony remote anyway, so I decided to take the hit to my carbon footprint and just use a console. In exchange I haven't flown for about six years.

Consoles are terrible media players using waaaaay too much power and are you watching stuff in game mode or having to switch out modes each time? seems way more faff than just using a fire stick etc if your telly apps are poor.

@Hanzo the RazorI saw you mention the charging docks in the stock thread (didn't want to ask there and bump the thread getting false hopes up!)

Are you after buying one? I have one here, unopened, which I can sell you. Unfortunately, if you aren't in Manchester I'd have to charge postage on top. 

17 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Consoles are terrible media players using waaaaay too much power and are you watching stuff in game mode or having to switch out modes each time? seems way more faff than just using a fire stick etc if your telly apps are poor.

Not to be some sort of ignorant dolt, but we watch stuff in game mode because we were flicking between game and movie mode not really knowing what game mode doesn't do as well. What do movie mode and the like actually bring to the table? All I've ever seen is people saying that game modes have worse visuals, but not going into details.

I promise I have eyes.

Basically it has to use a faster and lower quality version of the whole process from HDMI input to image, so everything in that process (adjusting the colour temperature, scaling the image, applying your contrast and brightness settings) is a bit shittier. That said, I watched several movies having forgotten I’d left the TV in game mode before I realised things didn’t quite look right.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

@Hanzo the RazorI saw you mention the charging docks in the stock thread (didn't want to ask there and bump the thread getting false hopes up!)

Are you after buying one? I have one here, unopened, which I can sell you. Unfortunately, if you aren't in Manchester I'd have to charge postage on top. 

Nah, your fine mate. I was just flagging it up in case anyone was after one. Cheers anyway!

Just now, Hanzo the Razor said:

Nah, your fine mate. I was just flagging it up in case anyone was after one. Cheers anyway!

No problem :) I thought I'd check before I return it to Argos before the weekend (bought for a couple of mates when my local had them in stock but circumstances stopped them collecting them and they sourced their own)

20 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Not to be some sort of ignorant dolt, but we watch stuff in game mode because we were flicking between game and movie mode not really knowing what game mode doesn't do as well. What do movie mode and the like actually bring to the table? All I've ever seen is people saying that game modes have worse visuals, but not going into details.

I promise I have eyes.

10 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

So if I watch a UHD blu-ray I should be adjusting my TV?

What @Alex W. said, game mode turns off all the processing and that’s good for games but it also means you get pretty crappy looking output compared to a properly tweaked setup for fils etc.

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

What @Alex W. said, game mode turns off all the processing and that’s good for games but it also means you get pretty crappy looking output compared to a properly tweaked setup for fils etc.

But wouldn't that mean fiddling with the TV settings no matter what device you use as a media player? Or are settings saved per-HDMI input these days?

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

But wouldn't that mean fiddling with the TV settings no matter what device you use as a media player? Or are settings saved per-HDMI input these days?

On my TV you get different settings per input and per display mode on that input.

And yes that does mean it needs to be calibrated separately for games and for movies. (The brightness range in game mode and movie mode are completely different from each other, frustratingly, so you can’t even just copy the numbers across.)

Edit - Different settings per HDMI isn’t new though, my first HDTV back in ‘08 worked that way.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Presumably at some point (maybe when they get round to adding Variable Refresh Rate to it) they'll add the Auto Low Latency feature also and do away with people needing to think about it.

Now imagining Hideo Kojima switching your TV between game mode and movie mode when the cut scenes start.

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

Per input and then seperate for SDR and HDR

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

I'm still after one of the official docks if it's that? I'm down in Kent but don't mind paying for postage.

48 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I'm still after one of the official docks if it's that? I'm down in Kent but don't mind paying for postage.

Yeah it's the official dock. I can't see it being more than £30 with postage? I'll post it to you first and then let you know how much it was. I'll PM you now.

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

I was hoping for some news. 

But the fact it won't be wireless rules it out for me. Will stick with Oculus Quest 2.

To be fair, "It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup" still sounds like an improvement over the Cthulhu of cables that users deal with at the moment.