PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

22 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I am contemplating resubbing to ps+ even though I won’t be getting a PS5 until they’re back in stock sensibly so I can add the PS+ games to my account using the web store?

You can do that right? 

Yes.

5 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

t's such a big selling point for me. I still have a huge back catalogue of games from 'last gen' to play, and plenty of huge games in progress. But I will happily upgrade to a PS5 or whatever if I know I can play all of those games and not only that but just carry on from where I left off. But now with better graphics and performance. We are living in blessed gaming times I tell ya!

You know, I feel conflicted. For some inexplicable reason I look more forward to playing enhanced/improved versions of No Man's Sky, Final Fantasy XIV, Days Gone and many others then Demon's Souls. There's something about this new generation that does not wow me. However, I am ridiculously looking forward to Ratchet & Clank.

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Internal M.2 storage due in the summer

Firmware update to increase fan speed due at the same time as usage of internal expansion slot causes increase in heat output.

Good news on the storage option for those that feel they need it but I will stick with the in-built storage. I very rarely have more than 2 to 3 games installed. Don't want PS4 Pro fan nightmares again!

Yeah, that's making me double down on the decision to treat the internal storage, like a CD changer.  I shouldn't be playing more the 500Gb* of games at once, so just keep redownloading, or shuffling to external storage.

*unless I want to play a COD game i guess

24 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Internal M.2 storage due in the summer

Firmware update to increase fan speed due at the same time as usage of internal expansion slot causes increase in heat output.

Oooof. Thats a bummer about the fans. It might not make any difference but the PS5 is broadly a little bit louder than the Series X anyway and thats without more storage plugged in. I am sure it wont make a lot of difference. 

The story doesn’t actually say that the firmware update is to keep the SSD cool. It says that the update “unlocks” higher fan speeds to stop “the console” overheating.

Not a lot of PS5s out there running at the current maximum fan speed, or overheating, and although the SSD will need cooling it’s not going to produce enough heat to cause the console to shut down. (Although it will certainly malfunction itself.)

I think this might just be the new fan speed profiles Sony talked about last year, independently of the SSD.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Yes.

Awesome thanks. I've just subbed with a £43 CD Keys using the website. I've not had a Playstation for about 18 months and had not subbed during that time. I am in no rush to get a PS5 but I will do eventually and then hopefully I will have a big pile of games to play on it. 

Edit: The previous problem I was having has gone away now I've used a different browser. 

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

What's really cool is how effectively this generation they have fixed backwards compatability. You can play pretty much Xbox/PS4 game on the next gen systems. Does anyone know why it was so hard in the past to make consoles backward compatible? I assume its because they are using similar architecture etc this time around to the last gen and in previous consoles the leap has been much greater?

For one, they're all basically using the same type of chips and architecture as last generation; you can rely on the new chips behaving mostly like the old ones when you ask them to do something. 360->Xbox One, they moved from PowerPC->x86, and it took Microsoft a while to build a good "translation layer" for the Xbox One to "understand" what the Xbox 360/ OG Xbox games wanted it to do, but they did get there eventually. PS3->PS4, the older games might as well be the aliens from Arrival and the PS4 a Taco Bell drive-thru, Sony could never get that working, they're just too different. All their previous backwards compatibility work involved putting tiny PlayStations inside other PlayStations.

For another, there's been a big move towards programming against well-built manufacturer APIs on PS4 rather than "to the metal" or via your own set of APIs like you would on, say, a PS3. Sony has kept those APIs working the same way on the PS5. That means that you're not having to worry about exact machine code instructions running a specific way, and in the few places that you do have low level programming directly at the processor, the new consoles can have "compatibility modes" where they imitate how the older CPU would have done things. This only works up to a point, which is why maybe 10-20 games don't work at all on the new machines.

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

That's intersting, thanks. So in future do you think they will carry on with this approach or will new chips and architecture make it too difficult?

Eventually, there'll be some change where it'll just not be workable to maintain compatibility with really old stuff. I don't know what that will be, whether it's something as mundane as maintaining old APIs being more trouble than it's worth or a radical shift in how we program videogames, but it's a safe bet it will happen.

Could be in ten years, could be in 20; even on PC, you can't play old DOS games without an emulator after XP, because they just stopped trying to keep legacy DOS applications alive, and some old non-DOS games just don't play nice with newer versions of Windows.

Anecdotally speaking, I can't help but wonder if it's a more desirable feature in this generation because so many of us have built up large collections of games over the past 7 years but have lacked the free time to get on with them, thus making back compat a far more important feature in the eyes of consumers and a useful feature on which to sell new systems.

20 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Eventually, there'll be some change where it'll just not be workable to maintain compatibility with really old stuff. I don't know what that will be, whether it's something as mundane as maintaining old APIs being more trouble than it's worth or a radical shift in how we program videogames, but it's a safe bet it will happen.

Could be in ten years, could be in 20; even on PC, you can't play old DOS games without an emulator after XP, because they just stopped trying to keep legacy DOS applications alive, and some old non-DOS games just don't play nice with newer versions of Windows.

The next shift will be away from x86 and towards ARM.  Look at Apple's new chips, they can emulate x86 and still be faster than the same app running on a native cpu.  Of course it would need someone other than Apple to be able to make good arm processors.  The other benefit of using arm processors is the cooling requirement would go way down and we'd have tiny fans or even no fans at all.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

The next shift will be away from x86 and towards ARM.  Look at Apple's new chips, they can emulate x86 and still be faster than the same app running on a native cpu.  Of course it would need someone other than Apple to be able to make good arm processors.  The other benefit of using arm processors is the cooling requirement would go way down and we'd have tiny fans or even no fans at all.

The irony of returning to the RISC processors after the MIPS chip in the PS1. Also fun fact, ARM used to stand for Acorn RISC Machine (later changed to Advanced RISC Machine)... ARM processors are one of the most popular CPUs in the world as they are in pretty much every mobile phone.

Is the quickest way to see a game's achievement list really to go to the main menu, select the game and then pick the trophies on the right hand side? Because that is horrendous design, if so. The Xbox guide makes the PS5 dash look like it was designed by morons.

44 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is the quickest way to see a game's achievement list really to go to the main menu, select the game and then pick the trophies on the right hand side?

On the quick menu there's a trophy shortcut under your profile icon.

33 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I’m just waiting for the option to move PS5 games to an external drive. Am happy to keep swapping games out then, just like I am with the Series X.

That's almost certainly never going to happen. At some point they're due to turn on the option for NVMe drive expansion, but Sony have been pretty explicit that they never plan to support external drives for PS5 games.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is the quickest way to see a game's achievement list really to go to the main menu, select the game and then pick the trophies on the right hand side? Because that is horrendous design, if so. The Xbox guide makes the PS5 dash look like it was designed by morons.

Or Triangle to take you to top menu and then across to profile.

Thanks, both. Neither of these are particularly great. It would be nice if the Activities included an option to go to Trophies.

Or if a single press brought up the quick menu rather than activities. I barely use them, but use the quick menu all the time.

45 minutes ago, Wiper said:

That's almost certainly never going to happen. At some point they're due to turn on the option for NVMe drive expansion, but Sony have been pretty explicit that they never plan to support external drives for PS5 games.

No to play from, but yes to store on (eventually):

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Can I store or play PS5 games from a USB drive?

No, players cannot transfer PS5 games to a USB drive. PS5 games must be stored on the console’s internal ultra-high speed SSD for gameplay. Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I don’t mean being able to play them from there, just store. Like you can on the Series X.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone else's HDMI CEC setting on their PS5 misbehave? If I enable it and then turn my PS5 on via the controller, it will turn the TV on and switch the source to the PS5 with no issue. The trouble is, however, if I turn the TV on to use either my Switch or XSX, the PS5 will also turn on, even if I don't want to use it. I then have to switch sources to my PS5 and turn it off, which then turns my TV off, and the whole problem starts again until I disable the CEC setting.

I'm using an LG B9, if that makes a difference. The HDMI CEC stuff on the XSX and Switch work fine - the consoles only turn on if I turn them on, then they turn the TV on themselves and switch the source.

That's how HDMI-CEC worked on the PS4 as well. If the TV was turned on and showing the PS4 input, it would switch the PS4 on. It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation of how "Match TV Power State" is meant to work and it saves a button press when you're changing inputs but it's not always ideal.

13 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Maybe the PS5 will be like the Vita and they'll keep unlocking additional speed through more cooling. So you'll have Bugsnax silently running away under your TV, but you put TLOU3 VR on and the console is levitating under your TV like a hovercraft, blowing your cat down the hall.

"It's just a little airborne, it's still good."