PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I think the enclosed space is an advantage in this situation. It’s essentially a wind tunnel which is going to allow the fan to push air over it at higher speed. 

i also don’t think Crystal Disk Mark is a great bench for console use cases. You’re mainly going to see sustained reads or mixed I/O, rather than sustained writes. 

23 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

It’s a discussion forum not a love in, you can be critical of things as you know as you were hardly gushing with praise about your account being hacked - we are consumers not being sponsored (well maybe you are) to own and report on these devices so calling out stuff where it’s not good regardless of brand loyalty should be the norm not attacked.

I completely agree, but you're constantly in here criticising things you don't know about, shitting on the console due to some unconfirmed report from some guy on twitter and assuming it suddenly means PS5's will sound like jet engines and the expansion drives will overheat while people are still just getting their consoles delivered and setup, wait until it happens to criticise is all i'm saying.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

@Harrisown Have you contacted Playstation Support? Any response?

So overnight I left it in rest mode downloading.

it wouldn’t turn on so had to long press out if it.

I tried loading Demons Souls and it started loading but before the splash  screen was gone it had turned itself off

.....so I’m now looking into support.

Edit. Support page offers a few things I haven’t tried yet like a completely different power cable and reinstalling the firmware. Do I do these pointless things before I phone them or do I just lie and say i did them.

16 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

So overnight I left it in rest mode downloading.

it wouldn’t turn on so had to long press out if it.

I tried loading Demons Souls and it started loading but before the splash  screen was gone it had turned itself off

.....so I’m now looking into support.

Edit. Support page offers a few things I haven’t tried yet like a completely different power cable and reinstalling the firmware. Do I do these pointless things before I phone them or do I just lie and say i did them.

Just say you done it.

I have had coil whine (on 2 consoles) but my PS5 is getting louder, louder to a point its just annoying as fuck and i have to have headphones in and up loud. I have maybe played it for 30 hours tops. My other half hates when im playing the thing because of the sound. 

Still working ok though. But im tempted to contact Sony for a replacement but not sure they would do anything. Im just happy i have other devices for my media apps. 

9 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have had coil whine (on 2 consoles) but my PS5 is getting louder, louder to a point its just annoying as fuck and i have to have headphones in and up loud. I have maybe played it for 30 hours tops. My other half hates when im playing the thing because of the sound. 

Still working ok though. But im tempted to contact Sony for a replacement but not sure they would do anything. Im just happy i have other devices for my media apps. 

They swapped mine for loud coil whine, told me not to power it on in case it's an electrical fault.

22 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I think we can safely say the power supplies are shit in these things

”we are currently experiencing exceptionally high volumes of calls , wait time is 30 minutes”

GPU cards suffer from it on the PC too.... Just one of those things. Think the PS5 ramps up the GPU frequency quite high when games need the extra grunt and I guess this is why the whine is there when some games are played.

Not sure why Sony did this rather than just run everything at the highest stable clock frequency they could get. There would have been less instances of coil whine I'm guessing or at least they could have manufactured them the have some consistency using components that would have performed at the clock frequency chosen.

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

GPU cards suffer from it on the PC too.... Just one of those things. Think the PS5 ramps up the GPU frequency quite high when games need the extra grunt and I guess this is why the whine is there when some games are played.

Not sure why Sony did this rather than just run everything at the highest stable clock frequency they could get. There would have been less instances of coil whine I'm guessing or at least they could have manufactured them the have some consistency using components that would have performed at the clock frequency chosen.

I thought the clock speed was set in stone. Apart from backward compatibility. It’s the power delivery that has some weird stuff going on.

3 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I thought the clock speed was set in stone. Apart from backward compatibility. It’s the power delivery that has some weird stuff going on.

The PS5 GPU can ramp up the clock speed (effectively like overclocking a PC GPU) when needed. Guessing it's when this happens it's driving components a bit harder. The Series X has a fixed GPU clock rate though. 

Tried to contact sony support by online means and forums and they cant help with the current issue. 

Any issues i have with microsoft products have been sorted without me actually speaking to someone. I hate talking on the bloody phone. 

57 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Coil whine is literally vibrations and you can do plenty to prevent it - it costs money and I would say Sony have gone for the cheap option but obv I know nothing about it and can’t comment as it’s not positive towards Sony.

Much like the poor airflow stuff you can get very in depth views on this from independent people on the internet and some brilliant YouTube stuff full of people testing with full diagnosis equipment that I’ve based my comments on....

CEX seem to have cut their prices for PS5 consoles. Still way over rrp but getting closer. 

Didn't want to bump the stock alerts thread and get peoples hopes up so I'll just stick that here. 

Was on hold to tech support for about 25 minutes and they are now closed :slowclap:

I managed to fudge the PlayStation into working but as soon as you do anything to do with three dimensions it breaks.

This is exactly how it first happened last week (only remembered today) and then last night and now forever...

im pretty gutted to not be able to do the elusive contract. But it was worth a shot because there’s no way this is getting sorted before it expires.

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Coil whine is literally vibrations and you can do plenty to prevent it - it costs money and I would say Sony have gone for the cheap option but obv I know nothing about it and can’t comment as it’s not positive towards Sony.

Much like the poor airflow stuff you can get very in depth views on this from independent people on the internet and some brilliant YouTube stuff full of people testing with full diagnosis equipment that I’ve based my comments on....

Is there nothing on gamepass to play? 

Errr so I’m trying to ring support with the number given by the website after you do the little “does this work now?” Questionnaire thing but it’s ringing like an actual phone and puts me through to voice mail. What’s going on?

hmmm I know that on a forum you are likely to see more 'problem' posts with new hardware than people without issues (like me) but I have to say it's mildly concerning that so many here have had duff units. I guess at least supply is better now and getting a replacement from Sony is going to be easier but still seems a little too high. I've not been in the Series X/S thread for a while, but I don't imagine the percentages of users with issues are as high. 

The only silver lining for now is a system that dies early due to a defect is at least replaceable under warranty which is better than it dying at month 13 or 25. Good luck @Harrisown

It seems to okay after I turned it off and on again. Been playing for a good 45 minutes without issues so will try it for a couple of hours to see if anything else happens, might be okay with any luck.

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

@Lorfarius looks like a typical HDMI handshaking issue tbh. 

Thing is there's lots of websites online saying its the green screen of death and an early sign of it failing. Hoping its just a one off, can't be bothered messing with Sony's daft support!

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Thing is there's lots of websites online saying its the green screen of death and an early sign of it failing. Hoping its just a one off, can't be bothered messing with Sony's daft support!

I found a different number because the one the website wants me to ring is engaged and their voice Mail is full lol

5 minutes ago, cassidy said:

@Lorfarius looks like a typical HDMI handshaking issue tbh. 

Yeah very much this - had the same issue with my M1 Mac this morning... total distorted junk on the screen, unplugged the USB-C adapter and plugged it in again, all fixed.

14 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It seems to okay after I turned it off and on again. Been playing for a good 45 minutes without issues so will try it for a couple of hours to see if anything else happens, might be okay with any luck.

You got anything to stress the GPU? As in an actual PS5 game rather than a PS4 game played via BC. I do wonder if I may find a fault with mine since it spends most of its time being a relatively silent PS4 Pro. Also vertical is definitely noisier than horizontal, however, it's marginal and I can only really hear it in total silence, if the game has an audio track playing it's inaudible. I think I only started noticing it when I turned off the music in Everybodys golf.

4 minutes ago, Quexex said:

You got anything to stress the GPU? As in an actual PS5 game rather than a PS4 game played via BC. I do wonder if I may find a fault with mine since it spends most of its time being a relatively silent PS4 Pro. Also vertical is definitely noisier than horizontal, however, it's marginal and I can only really hear it in total silence, if the game has an audio track playing it's inaudible. I think I only started noticing it when I turned off the music in Everybodys golf.

I've only been playing PS4 games since beginning of December and sticking to one at a time. Only one I'm playing at the mo is Dragon Quest 11, console is quite all the time too so not like anythings stressing it.

15 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah very much this - had the same issue with my M1 Mac this morning... total distorted junk on the screen, unplugged the USB-C adapter and plugged it in again, all fixed.

Yes I was just going to say this. Pull the HDMI cable out and push it back in again.... 

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I've only been playing PS4 games since beginning of December and sticking to one at a time. Only one I'm playing at the mo is Dragon Quest 11, console is quite all the time too so not like anythings stressing it.

For peace of mind I'd stress it with something that has a proper PS5 update or a native PS5 game. Assuming you have one, Spiderman at RT60 should be enough to put pressure on the GPU.