PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Just now, Quexex said:

For peace of mind I'd stress it with something that has a proper PS5 update or a native PS5 game. Assuming you have one, Spiderman at RT60 should be enough to put pressure on the GPU.

Sold that. All I've got is Astro for PS5 games :(

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Sold that. All I've got is Astro for PS5 games :(

Did you play it first? If you've played through SM or SM:MM at RT60 I'd say it was OK. DemonsSouls is another good test or any of the Ubi games with the PS5 patch applied cause their engines are poorly optimised and often over stress the hardware more than they should.

My PS5 has crashed three times playing DeS and yesterday the controller was just suddenly unpaired. I've only had it for a month. The disc drive also suddenly whirrs up quite a lot at random points. Compared with the XSX, it's not been the best hardware experience so far.

6 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Did you play it first? If you've played through SM or SM:MM at RT60 I'd say it was OK. DemonsSouls is another good test or any of the Ubi games with the PS5 patch applied cause their engines are poorly optimised and often over stress the hardware more than they should.

Yep managed to complete it after Spidey 4. I've finished FF7 Remake and God of War too without any issues. Its been on for a couple of hours now with DQ11 and hasn't done anything so might be okay.

8 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Do you have PS+? You could whack on the updated version of Control.

No, I've had too many PS4 games to work through so not bothered yet. Don't even think I've got a trial knocking around.

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Yep managed to complete it after Spidey 4. I've finished FF7 Remake and God of War too without any issues. Its been on for a couple of hours now with DQ11 and hasn't done anything so might be okay.

Yeah seem like it's just a HDMI issue - next time it happens try unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it in again. If that fixes it then it's just a handshake issue rather than a dying GPU.

My main issue is the thing is definitely not as quiet as the YouTube influenzas initially made out, and the second one I got for someone is about the same, from what I can tell. I don't think I've heard anyone say their machine is as silent as a Series X. There's fan whirr, coil whine, all sorts. I don't seem to have coil whine and my console is hidden away, so I can't hear it, but if it was in my lounge, you can definitely hear it when things are quiet (especially with that absolutely insane disc thing it does every now and then).

It's just a bit disappointing and makes you think there's something wrong when you hear all these influencers go on about how quiet is. Yeah, it's not a chinook, but it's definitely not silent.

Sony have been playing their cards ridiculously close to their chest, so it's not really clear if they're going to fix the crazy disk thing, either.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

My PS5 has crashed three times playing DeS and yesterday the controller was just suddenly unpaired. I've only had it for a month. The disc drive also suddenly whirrs up quite a lot at random points. Compared with the XSX, it's not been the best hardware experience so far.

DemonsSouls is a bit crashy tbh, not really a hardware issue there. Although I've seen the same controller issue in Spiderman MM. The disc drive issue is a thing that they will fix soon hopefully. 

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

My main issue is the thing is definitely not as quiet as the YouTube influenzas initially made out, and the second one I got for someone is about the same, from what I can tell. I don't think I've heard anyone say their machine is as silent as a Series X. There's fan whirr, coil whine, all sorts. I don't seem to have coil whine and my console is hidden away, so I can't hear it, but if it was in my lounge, you can definitely hear it when things are quiet (especially with that absolutely insane disc thing it does every now and then).

It's just a bit disappointing and makes you think there's something wrong when you hear all these influencers go on about how quiet is. Yeah, it's not a chinook, but it's definitely not silent.

Sony have been playing their cards ridiculously close to their chest, so it's not really clear if they're going to fix the crazy disk thing, either.

I think those youtubers had probably been playing stuff on the PS4 Pro before getting the PS5 - if that's there point of reference it IS definitely silent. Although I suspect early firmware was more quiet than newer firmware... 

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

Maquette is a lovely game, really enjoying it so far.

Ooh Nice, cleared the virus that is CoD of my SSD recently so should have space for this now.

In other news (also trying to be slightly more positive) I started playing Sackboy over the last few Fridays as I couldn't be arsed with Control any more. What a pleasant treat it is, beautiful looking, great music, classic platforming gameplay, still a little wooly on the controls but no where near as bad as the LBP games.

20 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah seem like it's just a HDMI issue - next time it happens try unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it in again. If that fixes it then it's just a handshake issue rather than a dying GPU.

Dont do this while either device has any power to it, it’s the road to blown hdmi ports.

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Dont do this while either device has any power to it, it’s the road to blown hdmi ports.

Is there another way to 'spike' the HDMI connection without a console reboot - maybe try turning the TV ON and OFF instead?

1 minute ago, Quexex said:

Is there another way to 'spike' the HDMI connection without a console reboot - maybe try turning the TV ON and OFF instead?

HDMI should handshake even with a input switch but some do hold it even with standby so powering on and off will depend on the telly and even how the PS5 deals with a handshake - worth a try and obv safe. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I know there's differences between the disc/discless version, and I don't have an Xbox to compare it to, but I've got the digital edition and I don't believe it's physically possible for an electronic device to displace a quantity of air and make less noise.

It's completely silent. I have to put my head about 2 feet from the machine to hear anything.

There seems to be some variability in the noise some models make, but I can believe reviewers were probably telling the truth at the time. Particularly when you have people like DF holding noise meters up to the thing.

Mine certainly isn't silent. I had it out in my lounge for a bit and muting the TV, you can hear it whirring away from my couch. This is in gameplay. It's quieter when just sitting on the home screen.

So after two phone calls and a total time of 90 minutes (excluding failed attempts) ive finally sent the PS5 and controller on their way.

They got a little funny when I was trying to explain the stick drift on one of my controllers. 

Had to print out the labels and take it to the post office myself. I was under the impression an out of breath guy with no time to spare would come round and pick them up.

Its going to be 14 days.

Managed to order a PS5 today finally. My son is really wanting to play FIFA.

Would it be wise to just buy a used copy of the PS4 2021 standard edition for now so he can learn the ropes, then get full fat PS5 2022 version when it's released?

1 hour ago, Totoro said:

Managed to order a PS5 today finally. My son is really wanting to play FIFA.

Would it be wise to just buy a used copy of the PS4 2021 standard edition for now so he can learn the ropes, then get full fat PS5 2022 version when it's released?

It’s a free upgrade from PS4 FIFA to PS5 version. At least it was..

I do feel for everyone with hardware issues. I've had absolutely nothing wrong with mine ever. No crashes, no coil or fan noise, no stick drift, no HDD problems.

Can I just check that you guys are all playing on the PS5 Pro as well or is this with the base model?