PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Mine certainly isn't silent. I had it out in my lounge for a bit and muting the TV, you can hear it whirring away from my couch. This is in gameplay. It's quieter when just sitting on the home screen.

I do think there seems to be quite a lot of variety in the sound output levels people are experiencing with these and - seemingly - it's just pot luck if you get a good one or not. I play with mine in a cabinet (with the door open) and sit maybe 3ft directly in front of it on my gaming chair and you can't hear it at all at in normal game use unless the sound system is muted, and even then it's just a really quiet exhale of moving air that you have to purposely listen for. No coil whine (touch wood), buzzing or mechanical noise at all. I do get the random disc spin up thing now and again though. Genuinely though my SkyQ box is louder most of the time once it's warmed up and the fan kicks in.

Personal experience is this is probably the most smooth and rewarding new console launch I've ever had, but I can understand the frustration if it isn't meeting expectations after waiting for something for so long and then dropping a load of cash on it.

I can handle the faults. It's just annoying that Sony have not addressed the issues, of which there are many. Knowing my console isn't on par with other people is irratating as hell. 

Don't know why they get a pass. 

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

I can handle the faults. It's just annoying that Sony have not addressed the issues, of which there are many. Knowing my console isn't on par with other people is irratating as hell. 

Don't know why they get a pass. 

They shouldn’t get a pass, have you tried to return it? 

4 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

They shouldn’t get a pass, have you tried to return it? 

I can't be arsed. Its my second console with the same issue. Would I be third time lucky? 

Also, the issues that annoy me most are the UI, hard crashes and storage space. Which seem to effect most people. 

Download speeds have been nice and fast on my PS5 recently.

Downloaded both FFVII Remake and FFXV in a few hours this morning.

Did a connection test and was getting 110 down which I never got on PS4.

10 minutes ago, Ry said:

I can't be arsed. Its my second console with the same issue. Would I be third time lucky? 

Also, the issues that annoy me most are the UI, hard crashes and storage space. Which seem to effect most people. 

Tbh I don't think anything you've said is unreasonable and is expected customer service. I'd be returning it, if I was in the same boat.  The ship sailed for me with console failures after the 360 debacle. I wouldn't put up with it, with my Xbox now.  I just know I'm waiting for a hardware update before I invest in Sony this gen.  Their adamance at bury their head in the sand is not good. 

32 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Tbh I don't think anything you've said is unreasonable and is expected customer service. I'd be returning it, if I was in the same boat.  The ship sailed for me with console failures after the 360 debacle. I wouldn't put up with it, with my Xbox now.  I just know I'm waiting for a hardware update before I invest in Sony this gen.  Their adamance at bury their head in the sand is not good. 

I’m just really shocked that there has been very very few firmware updates given the problems. I guess they need to collect more and more data to address the issues but to me it looks like they think the layout of the GUI is bang on and things like deleted games sticking to the the menu bar or consistently starting up with no sound aren’t really problems worth bothering with....not to mention the features on the box that aren’t even available and no noise from Sony about when they might be.

...but it’s only been 4 months so it’s probably a bit harsh of me to expect it of them. I’m sure they’re  all going guns blazing behind the scenes and ....pendemic.

Still dont want an Xbox :)

Having got a PS5 a few weeks back mine is definitely not silent, but I do have quite sensitive hearing.

I have upgraded from the PS4 slim (which was pretty much silent, excluding disc drive spin) so compared to that the PS5 has a low but noticeable hum/whirring type noise, especially when I boot a game up.

I think the whirring type noise might be due to the large flaps vibrating/resonating with the spinning fan. Because if I grip the front flaps together the high pitched whirring seems to decrease. I can also hear it less depending on how I angle the front flaps away from me, rather than just my distance from the console.

I am very anal retentive about console noise though... 

12 minutes ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

If i transfer over my PS4 saves can I use them in the free PS5 upgrade of the game thinking do not want to redo hours put into assassin's creed valhalla ?

Yes, with an few exceptions, eg Control Vs Control Ultimate Edition.

I think it may still be a while before I get a PS5 - because I'm not going to desperately fight against scalper bots.

What ways are there to get PS4 saves onto a PS5 now? Is it still true that you can't transfer PS4 saves from a USB stick? Would I have to buy a month of PS Plus for the cloud saving, or are PS4 saves included in the local transfer of data that can be done between a PS4 and a PS5?

5 hours ago, df0 said:

You know, I like the UI.

Me too, despite a few niggles. It's fast which is crucial imo, I like that it's an overlay to send or accept game invites. I've got used to tap PS button, left one (x) to got to rest mode too.

Yeah I really like the UI too. Nice big artwork splash screens for the games is great.

All they need to do is let me have the option to switch round holding the PS button for a single press and I’m set. 

Just in case anyone is interested.

You can get FIFA 21 for about £11 ( ends today )

If you don't already own any FIFA games:

Sign up for EA play ( 1 month trial 99p)

PS+ trial or take out 1 month 

Installed FIFA 20 from EA play - FULLY

Get offer to upgrade to 21 for £11

Can also upgrade for £11 if you already have 20 or 19 installed

20 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah I really like the UI too. Nice big artwork splash screens for the games is great.

All they need to do is let me have the option to switch round holding the PS button for a single press and I’m set. 

It clicks eventually, as long as you don't go back to an OG PS4.

Just setting up my PS5 now. I had extra high shelving built years ago for my Marvel Adamantium books to the right of the TV, and the PS5 just squeaks in. The shape is annoying as it doesn’t neatly sit side by side everything else on the shelf, and so you can see the wires at the back.

Two other annoying things so far, first there’s an audible buzzing which I can’t tell if it’s coil-whine or the disc drive. Secondly, I just realised the sound is coming out of my TV not my Sonos Beam. The Beam’s connected to the TV by an optical cable. I know PS5 doesn’t have this, but it’s through the telly, not the PS5 so can’t figure out how to fix it??

Anyway, as far as games go it’s amazing. All my PS+ library sitting there ready to go, Control Ultimate downloading, PS+ Collection showing off the best games PS4 offered but running better than ever, and Astrobot, which is lovely. 

Haptic feedback, as everyone says, is also amazing.

So yeah, console design is ridiculous, whirring noise is bollocks, gaming is truly outstanding and the controller is something that feels really fresh.

With the whirring noise, is it like that low buzzing you used to hear on CRTs, where the pitch of it changes with what is being displayed on-screen (e.g light to dark)?

I have something similar and the noise comes from the console itself, not the TV.

47 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

there’s an audible buzzing which I can’t tell if it’s coil-whine or the disc drive.

Remove the side plates and stick something in-between the gfan blades and boot up. This way you can find out which it is. For me it's the fan.