PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

16 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Remove the side plates and stick something in-between the gfan blades and boot up. This way you can find out which it is. For me it's the fan.

Now you know it’s the fan can you do anything about it?

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

@ReynardIt definitely comes from the console, and now you mention it is a bit like a crt noise.

Lol I was thinking about this earlier. I used to have some CRTs that made the kind of high pitch squeal that only the most dedicated of gamers could tune out. Now I'm bemoaning the mildest of hum only audiable in a near silent room late at night...

The PS5’s been in rest mode for a couple of hours and the hum hasn’t gone away even when it’s asleep.

After putting my ear up close I’ve ascertained it emnates from the base of the console. :sherlock:

Edit: A quick Google and this sounds like the problem.

Spoiler

Coil whine. This is normal and should quieten down over time when the bearings bed in. A loose sticker is apparent inside the fan bay that causes a buzzing sound at idle and gets louder when fans speed up. You can open this and remove the fan without any warrenty violation and check.

What’s a loose sticker??

Is there anyway to store PS4 game saves on an external hard drive along with the PS4 games instead of the PS5 console storage?  Just noticed Gravity Rush 2 save is 600MB+

Got my PS5 yesterday and installing Ghost of Tsushima the disc drive was spinning seemingly way to fast and making a right bloody racket. Once it was installed it seemed fine but then every so often it would spin up for a 10-20 seconds and quiet back down. 

This isn’t normal right? 

From a gaming perspective I think PS5 probably delivers the best user experience I can remember at launch.

From an aesthetic design perspective I think it’s the most overbearing, fugly console I’ve ever seen.

Mine sounds like a PS4 Pro when the disc drive spins up. It’s really disconcerting, until you realise it’s not the fan and it goes quiet. 

I don’t know about every 10-20 seconds, though (because my PS5 isn’t the room I play in). Mine will spin up every 30-45 mins, I think. It does it regardless of whether you’re playing what’s in the drive or not, but didn’t test it while playing from disc, so don’t know if it does it more often for games being played. 

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

Got my PS5 yesterday and installing Ghost of Tsushima the disc drive was spinning seemingly way to fast and making a right bloody racket. Once it was installed it seemed fine but then every so often it would spin up for a 10-20 seconds and quiet back down. 

This isn’t normal right? 

If you mean minutes then yes.

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

This isn’t normal right? 

It will do this at least once an hour, if you are not playing a disc game take the disc out to avoid it. I think this is a tactic by Sony to force people to buy games digitally :lol:

Hopefully it is something that is patched in a future firmware update.

Will have another look tonight. There’s no way the noise the drive was making last night is working as intended. Can’t possibly be. 

I’ve seen there’s a how to on Sonys website for this issue which involves tightening the drive which some have said solved or improved their issues. Some have said it broke the drive too so that’s worrying. 

Less than ideal start to owning a PS5. 

9 minutes ago, Trigg said:

Will have another look tonight. There’s no way the noise the drive was making last night is working as intended. Can’t possibly be. 

I’ve seen there’s a how to on Sonys website for this issue which involves tightening the drive which some have said solved or improved their issues. Some have said it broke the drive too so that’s worrying. 

If you can video/audio record and share on here the noise.

I wonder how many of the various reported issues are on the disc vs digital model. 

Mine is Bobby Digital and as I said, not had a single issue at all. Anyone else digital plagued by this stuff? 

1 minute ago, Jonny5 said:

Is there a way to view and manage the PS5 storage through the Playstation app?

Not at the moment, there is a console management section but it just let's you link the console and sign in, i imagine they will add it.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Is there a way to view and manage the PS5 storage through the Playstation app?

If you don't have enough room to install a game it'll prompt you to uninstall some stuff and give you some options (apparently).

2 hours ago, Trigg said:

I think all the review outlets and "influencer" types got a PS6. 

Because they all didn't mention the issues on release that are clearly apparent with PS5. :lol:

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

From a gaming perspective I think PS5 probably delivers the best user experience I can remember at launch.

*ahem*

387941336_DreamcastMenu.thumb.jpg.e26dae804ff6188a46b5d273f890aacf.jpg

(as Kevvy notes, it does have the downside of a slightly louder disc drive for most people, so not entirely perfect ;) )

Sure the whine/whirr or buzz is way quieter than a PS4 Pro or Dreamcast, but a constant low high frequency noise can be just as annoying as a leaf-blower.

In much the same way a single continuous drop of water on the forehead can be as bad as plunging your head in a bucket of water.

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

*ahem*

387941336_DreamcastMenu.thumb.jpg.e26dae804ff6188a46b5d273f890aacf.jpg

(as Kevvy notes, a slightly louder disc drive, mind ;) )

If it had come bundled with a library of all the best Sega games upscaled and with better frame-rates I might agree.

Anyone want to take part in the System Software 8.50 beta?

Code can be redeemed 20 times:

XND3-P3NP-GNR6

Spoiler

"Welcome to the PlayStation®4 System Software 8.50 Public Beta

Congratulations! You've been selected to help us test the System Software 8.50 Beta. Your participation in this Beta is extremely important to us and we look forward to receiving your feedback. 

Confidentiality of the System Software Beta: 
Please keep in mind that information regarding this System Software Update is confidential and by consenting to the System Software Beta Agreement, you agree not to disclose information regarding the technologies concerned.

The System Software Beta will be licensed to you by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. and your use is subject to the Network Terms of Service, User Agreement and the System Software Beta Agreement. This Beta requires a clear understanding of the software's limitations disclosed before software installation. If you do not wish to accept these terms, please do not download and install the Beta software.

Main features updated in this system software beta version
• In Messages, you can now turn notifications on or off for each of the groups you're in. On the group screen, open the options menu and select  Turn Notifications Off.

Other update features 
• On the game session details screen, you can now use the Request to Join button to ask the session leader to join their game session. The session leader can then send you an invite to join the game session.
• When playing a game you've hidden, other players will no longer see that you're currently playing that game.
• The Communities feature is no longer available.

The Beta code below can be redeemed by up to 20 qualifying accounts, so share the code with friends who you know would be happy to take part (they must be over 18 years old to participate).

How to start: 
Once you have redeemed your unique voucher code, you will receive a system notification on your PlayStation®4 console when the 8.50 Beta begins. Follow the prompts from the notification for access to the Beta System Software. Once you have followed these prompts, navigate to Settings > System Software Update > Version 8.50 Beta.
Performance has improved for System Software updates, so you do not have to restart your PlayStation®4 console after updating. The update will be automatically installed after being downloaded, as long as the following setting is active: Settings > System Auto Downloads > System Software Update Files.

How to help:

During the System Software Beta, please play a variety of games as much as possible to help us test the System Software with various titles and in different situations.

• Provide feedback:

We would love to hear your feedback regarding the System Software Beta Version 8.50. Here are various ways for you to provide your feedback directly to the Development team.

• Report crashes:

If you see an application or game crash during the Beta test, please send a crash report – this is a mandatory requirement for participation. When submitting a crash report, please be sure to include the following details in the comment section:

• What you were doing when the crash occurred (include the game/application name and specific operation). 
• What scene you were playing – if a crash occurs while playing a game.

• Report bugs:
Please provide detailed information on the bug you encountered and describe what you were doing when the bug occurred. Please submit your bug report via our Bug Report Tool.

YOUR VOUCHER CODE:
XND3-P3NP-GNR6
Code Expires: 31 May 2021
Click here for voucher redemption instructions.

Thank you for taking part, 
The PlayStation Team

Setup was a bit of a faff for me. Didn't have a PS3 or 4 so everything was from scratch.

I tried using PAYPAL as payment for the PS+ trial and it kept giving cryptic error messages.

Thought i'd try doing it via the website and that didn't have the trial option and seemed to log me out every time I clicked a link.

Then tried the app with no luck.

Finally gave in and used my credit card to pay, which worked first time. 

I also had trouble removing the payment method as well, as I don't want it saved on the account ( after reading about the hacking )

Almost bought last of us and uncharted, but luckily found I get for free with the PS+, so that's nice.

I actually worked on the store design for PS3 and PS4, this version is defo nicer but still not great.

Looks amazing on my ancient 1080p TV, but i'm going to treat myself to a new 4k TV with 120.

I had similar issues with Paypal, never got it to work. I believe you can force fix it via Account Settings, but I never bothered.