PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

I've got the digital edition and as soon as its turned on it makes a constant whine noise - start a game and it stops whilst you play the game, then come back out to the menus or go into the media app to watch apple tv and the whine continues the whole time you watch something.

It's quite annoying and makes watching anything using the streaming apps (netflix, apple tv etc) not very enticing as although the picture quality is great the noise is a constant distraction - even my other half notices it and she's normally immune to these mystery noises I hear the whole time. 

I started watching Alien on UHD Bluray the other night. I started it on the PS5 but the disc drive was making a low but very distracting whirring noise. I eventually swapped it over to the Series X which was much better. Other than that mine has (touch wood) been fairly silent.

Fundamentally, all this really means is that you need to spend more money on a gaming PC. Soon as you hear a 3090 on full whack, you'll wonder what you were farting on about.

Which is why I use headphones.

38 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Fundamentally, this really means is that you all need to spend more money on a gaming PC. Soon as you hear a 3090 on full whack, you'll wonder what you were farting on about.

Not been a PC gamer for years now, but yeah after the buzz, crackle and whine of the CRT it was the hum of PC fans... the ticking of HDDs, wiring if DVD drives... Headphones are the only option. 

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I started watching Alien on UHD Bluray the other night. I started it on the PS5 but the disc drive was making a low but very distracting whirring noise. I eventually swapped it over to the Series X which was much better. Other than that mine has (touch wood) been fairly silent.

I'm curious how far through the film you got? I noticed the drive spinning a lot at the start of the film then I stopped noticing it.

Tell me there's an easier way to look at who's online on your friends list than:

Press PS button > go to game base > press options > select game base again > scroll to the right to some shitty grid with your friends on. 

46 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Tell me there's an easier way to look at who's online on your friends list than:

Press PS button > go to game base > press options > select game base again > scroll to the right to some shitty grid with your friends on. 

You can just scroll down once you go to game base the first time and it lists online friends.

22 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

It seemed to have a big list of every party I've ever been in on there but I'll have a look again when I'm next on

It does list the parties first.

4 hours ago, Quexex said:

I'm curious how far through the film you got? I noticed the drive spinning a lot at the start of the film then I stopped noticing it.

About five-ten minutes. I knew it would annoy me so changed over quickly.

10 hours ago, gospvg said:

Great news! Enjoy!

It was still doing the random spinning of the drive every 30-45 mins, even when watching Apple TV but I can cope with that. 

8 hours ago, JoeK said:

Fundamentally, this really means is that you all need to spend more money on a gaming PC. Soon as you hear a 3090 on full whack, you'll wonder what you were farting on about.

I never really think about my pc bring loud, the 3080 isn’t too bad anyway but it’s probably because I use headphones on pc but not always when on console. 

7 hours ago, wretcherd said:

The parties you don't use will disappear from the quick list after about a week so you won't have to scroll down as far.

I have parties listed and I’ve not been in a party in *years*

CEX have dropped their price for buying in PS5’s to £500 cash, that’s down £50 on last week. They still flog them for £750 mind you, but still, it’s indicative of slowly increasing stock.

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

CEX have dropped their price for buying in PS5’s to £500 cash, that’s down £50 on last week. They still flog them for £750 mind you, but still, it’s indicative of slowly increasing stock.

spacer.png

:P

Right, controller is now utterly fucked. Constantly going left, and right stick keeps thinking I'm pressing full up.

Anyone sent theirs back? Any problems? How long for a replacement?

On 05/03/2021 at 09:52, womblingfree said:

Good news looking at stock levels of PS5 at stores near me seems they have 5-6 at each so I think they are slowing buying them in now. Guess they are still keeping the sale prices high to cover the costs of the ones bought in at a higher price. Interestingly there is hardly any stock of the Series X so either they are in short supply or people are just hanging onto them. Guess the higher buy in price for the PS5 has been attracting people flipping them for a bit of cash.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Right, controller is now utterly fucked. Constantly going left, and right stick keeps thinking I'm pressing full up.

Anyone sent theirs back? Any problems? How long for a replacement?

“‘I’m sorry , just explain what you mean by left?”

”ok...I’m having trouble understanding what you mean by it pushing left?”

”‘can you just explain that to me again”

”rrr.....iiiiight, ok so you say it’s pushing left...”

Eventually they will accept it. Then you will have to box it up, print out a label and wait a few weeks for it to get to Amsterdam and then returned to you.

Sent my console and controller off in separate packages on Tuesday lunch time and Sony still haven’t  received them.

Interesting my controller was also going left and a couple of days before the PlayStation blew it was going aggressively up on the right stick too. Made me feel a bit motion sick when it happened because I was playing hitman and he was going down some steps.

OK, it’s likely I’ll need a second controller once the new Lego Star Wars is out anyway, so where is cheapest and are there any colours other than white?

14 hours ago, MattyP said:

Good news looking at stock levels of PS5 at stores near me seems they have 5-6 at each so I think they are slowing buying them in now. Guess they are still keeping the sale prices high to cover the costs of the ones bought in at a higher price. Interestingly there is hardly any stock of the Series X so either they are in short supply or people are just hanging onto them. Guess the higher buy in price for the PS5 has been attracting people flipping them for a bit of cash.

I’d like to think CEX will lose a bundle on PS5s, all they did was fuel the scalpers with their own greed.

I doubt many normal gamers have flipped them, just scalpers.

They'll come out ahead overall, it'll be a long time before they're appreciably lower than RRP at CEX even in normal circumstances just because it's the only place you can trade in so many things towards one.

Smyths have said I can just take my knackered controller into my local store and get it swapped for a new one, which is nice.

Only Sony can have problems with their hardware before they've even launched the console.