PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

18 hours ago, JPL said:

It’s ridiculous that you’ve had to go to those lengths to quieten it down. I was just about to suggest you try and shake it out, but you’d probably end up giving yourself a hernia.

Seriously though, don’t the sides pop off? I thought they would, for when the bigger SSDs are available.

Quite. If I'm prepared to pay £450 for a console then I'd happily pay a little bit extra for better quality components that don't introduce a maddening noise over a short period of time.

9 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Just installed Wipeout Omega on PS5 after reading EG’s Pacer review, first time I’ve played it in 4K and it looks fantastic. Brilliant game.

Have you played it in VR before? It’s mind melting and more impressive than 4k IMO!

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Have you played it in VR before? It’s mind melting and more impressive than 4k IMO!

Yes I have, it’s great and I remember it looked very good for a VR game (compared to e.g. GT Sport) but I actually prefer things like Astrobot and Moss in VR, things that are a bit more relaxed. But yes, I should give it another go.

I'm not even trying to buy one until demand drops off a small bit. That's why I'm checking CEX prices. 

The stock alerts thread is there for stock alerts so people should just stick to that. It's not an unreasonable ask. 

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Yes I have, it’s great and I remember it looked very good for a VR game (compared to e.g. GT Sport) but I actually prefer things like Astrobot and Moss in VR, things that are a bit more relaxed. But yes, I should give it another go.

Moss especially is absolutely in my list of really effective uses of VR.  The storybook metaphor they use in the intro is spot on really.

The difference in clarity between games at 30fps and 60fps is really striking. I've been checking out both God of War and Demon's Souls, and 30fps just looks like a blurry mess to my eyes. The 30fps "graphics" mode certainly doesn't look any better on Demon's. I also loaded up Horizon: ZD, which doesn't do 30fps and despite it being Checkerboard 4K, everything just looks horribly smeared to me, now. I really hope 60fps is the standard here on out. If Horizon: Forbidden West is 30fps, it'll be such a shame. But it's cross gen, so I'm not too worried about that being the case.

36 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Does God of War running on a PS5 still have a 30fps option?

I thought it was now 60fps 1080p or 60fps checkerboard 4k.

Yes it does . You can play 4k checkerboard @ 30 or 60hz . 

Oh yes. They’ve removed the 1080p option from the game completely. It’s a nice touch because Ghost of Tsushima’s menu options haven’t been updated and people who don’t know it’s been patched might be playing it in 1080p without realising the resolution mode is also 60fps. 

Someone should set up a modding business making quiet consoles - inserting noise-isolating washers, replacing the noisier component variations with quieter ones, that sort of thing.

Wow, Miles Morales is short. I knew it was shorter than the first game but I got the point of no return message on my way to a story mission after about 10 hours and that probably included about 3 hours of side missions involving finding a lost cat or a stolen car.

I wish I had played it around Christmas what with the setting but then I probably wouldn't have got it for 22 quid on eBay which is around what I feel it's worth. Let's be honest, it's £25 DLC pushed into £50 full game status for a console launch.

It really does look great in 60fps RT mode though. Traversal is as much fun as ever and Miles' new powers add a welcome twist and mean the stealth sections feel even more empowering than before. It's just so familiar already that I'm trying to think how they could excite me for Spiderman 2 proper. I'd need a new city for sure and much better sidequests. Better puzzles too, maybe. If it's just more of the same in the same city I doubt I'd buy it as I feel like after this I've had my fill of the gameplay loop it offers. 

That new side mission type involving tracking down a noise is baffling. Who on earth thought that was fun?

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Rogue washer removed from console.

Fitted washers between the fan and the case that sits over it and it has made a difference.

Thank goodness!!

I would be really interested in either you writing your instructions or sharing the ones you found.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

I wish I had played it around Christmas what with the setting but then I probably wouldn't have got it for 22 quid on eBay which is around what I feel it's worth. Let's be honest, it's £25 DLC pushed into £50 full game status for a console launch.

I am quite thrifty when it comes to games. I never pay over 50 quid (rarely over 40) and sell my games on when I'm done with them, but disagree with this completely, and I bought it at launch. The fact that it's so streamlined is precisely what makes it such a brilliant game - if it were padded out for another ten hours, it would have diluted it and filled it with dull busywork, like the first game.

Cheers teddy. I'll take a look.

In unrelated news, is there any sign from Sony that they know the Store is a piece of shit? I was trying leaf through the sales that are on at the moment on the web, and it's just shocking. No sort options (so no finding the cheap games) no filter options (so no looking for games that have had a PS5-native mode made) no wishlisting, no nothing. Also no screenshots, no video clips.

And half the time you come back to it, you're in this weird half signed-in status and nothing works properly.

Proper piece of shit.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I am quite thrifty when it comes to games. I never pay over 50 quid (rarely over 40) and sell my games on when I'm done with them, but disagree with this completely, and I bought it at launch. The fact that it's so streamlined is precisely what makes it such a brilliant game - if it were padded out for another ten hours, it would have diluted it and filled it with dull busywork, like the first game.

I disagree entirely too.

It’s a brilliant game and really well paced and just about the right length.

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Can't see that fixing it myself as there's no movement on those parts in the first place.

Suspending fans makes a huge difference to vibration noise or the buzz you can here, putting rubber on the mounts (as Sony should have done) will defi make a difference - just depends if your fan buzz is louder than the coil whine and/or the noise the fan makes simply pushing air!

How long until someone makes a replacement shell which will let the machine sit flat and have a flat top for me to put things on?

The supplied stand is so shit, it just falls off the second I try and move the machine slightly. 

3 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

How long until someone makes a replacement shell which will let the machine sit flat and have a flat top for me to put things on?

The supplied stand is so shit, it just falls off the second I try and move the machine slightly. 

Every aspect of the exterior design of the thing is a fucking disaster.

10 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Have Sony acknowledged the external HDD issues? I can't use rest mode at this point.

See also the unrecognisable disk issue, surely it's effecting loads of people?

Not sure but the fact we've had hardly any OS patches makes me hope they are working hard on the issues caused by drives. The disc issue is definitely related to the drive, one thing I've found to stop me from removing the disc is to go into storage and play around with the external drive, the settings and stuff, go into it to see what you can move/delete then come out and choose restart PS5 and then it mostly seems to go away but yeah it's broken, a double boot to get it to work normally is not good. What's the difficulty with rest mode you mention? I only use it for recharging my pad when it's needed so I've not noticed anything wrong there?

Whenever I have used rest mode the PS5 won't respond to the dualsense controllers at all until I've done a full power down and restart so I've just stopped using rest mode altogether 

This only started happening after I plugged my external drive in I must add

I have had no problems with rest mode, not using any external drives though

I leave it in rest mode during the day and power off when I am finished for night

44 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Whenever I have used rest mode the PS5 won't respond to the dualsense controllers at all until I've done a full power down and restart so I've just stopped using rest mode altogether 

This only started happening after I plugged my external drive in I must add

Oh wow that sounds bad I've not had that problem, sorry to hear that.