PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

Has anyone noticed that if you delete a game on the PS5 the grey icon stays in the list at the top?

Is there any way to remove it?

It's never happened to mine.

2 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Has anyone noticed that if you delete a game on the PS5 the grey icon stays in the list at the top?

Had this prob and just fixed it by deleting the saved game data.

According to Scherier we're still getting A Last of Us remake though, which seems like one of the most bizarrely pointless sounding projects I can think of.

4 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Redo your licences...

It’s almost a weekly thing for me.

Has anyone used the Funimation trial for 3 months? I downloaded the app but no voucher has come through yet - seen a few people query it on Reddit but no resolution. 

I have been really impressed with remote play on the ps5. I always found it hit and miss on the PS4 and PS4 pro, sometimes fine, sometimes a little choppy.  But in the PS5 its been rock solid.

I am using an app called PSPlay on my android phone and it allows me to specify a 1080p image at 60fps with HDR without any issues. It also allows me to use my Kishi Razor which essentially turns my phone into a handheld PS5.

I also tried the same app on my Chromebook tonight and again it was spot on.

It's superhandy, especially when the kids are watching something on the TV or I want to play something which isn't suitable for them.

Yeh I noticed performance is much stronger with the PS5. I’m probably going to get a bit of use out of it in the summer as I sit in the cooler spots of the house playing something like Tropico.

It’s just a shame is saps so much iPad battery when essentially it’ll all just video

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I know we're well past the official launch day "Photo of console with pet" stage of the thread.

But fuck it.

1969271956_2021-04-1209_09_30.jpg

Nice although I'm more impressed with the Master System collection!

I can't download anything on my ps5 today.

From the store it shows the progress indicator on the "download" button but never starts the download.

From the library it's even better. A big "please wait" modal comes over the screen and never goes away. I have to hard reset the PS5 and reboot at which point it admonishes me for not shutting down correctly and rebuilds my external drive.

Anyone else having issues - PSN status page says no issues... I did see that apparently PS3 patches have stopped downloading and wondered if theeres actually a more general server issue.

edit: also tried to start download from the website, nothing.

Edited by Alshie
1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Everything seems to be working here (NL), so might be server maintenance or something similar.

Thanks! Have turned it off and will try again later. 

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Day 1 impressions :

Astro Bot is the best introduction to a console since Mario 64.

Halo? It is a cool little game though, and there's more to it than I expected. 

Can anyone with experience of returning a PS5 console to Sony help me out? Royal Mail says my PS5 was delivered 9th April, Sony's website says it's still in transit and not received. :unsure:

Is that the norm?

My controller was going doolally yesterday. Loads of analogue stick drift, button presses not registering etc. Have also had a number of times recently where the controller won’t turn the PS5 on either, so I actually have to press the power switch. Not sure if it’s related but I also get kept booted off my WiFi too. 

I know others have had issues before - does this sound more like a controller issue (ignoring the wi-fi issue)?

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Can anyone with experience of returning a PS5 console to Sony help me out? Royal Mail says my PS5 was delivered 9th April, Sony's website says it's still in transit and not received. :unsure:

Is that the norm?

Yeah, just bear with it. It'll be at Sony's distribution partner having been dropped off by RM, Sony themselves haven't had it arrive at their repair centre yet is all.

21 hours ago, Alshie said:

I can't download anything on my ps5 today.

From the store it shows the progress indicator on the "download" button but never starts the download.

From the library it's even better. A big "please wait" modal comes over the screen and never goes away. I have to hard reset the PS5 and reboot at which point it admonishes me for not shutting down correctly and rebuilds my external drive.

Anyone else having issues - PSN status page says no issues... I did see that apparently PS3 patches have stopped downloading and wondered if theeres actually a more general server issue.

edit: also tried to start download from the website, nothing.

This was still broken for me this morning, nothing would download.

After a bit of googling I found reports of a different error related to stuck download queues - seemed similar enough.

Followed the recommended fix for that - booting in safe mode and rebuilding the database has fixed the issue for now.

21 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Yeah, just bear with it. It'll be at Sony's distribution partner having been dropped off by RM, Sony themselves haven't had it arrive at their repair centre yet is all.

Cheers! :hat:

31 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

My controller was going doolally yesterday. Loads of analogue stick drift, button presses not registering etc. Have also had a number of times recently where the controller won’t turn the PS5 on either, so I actually have to press the power switch. Not sure if it’s related but I also get kept booted off my WiFi too. 

I know others have had issues before - does this sound more like a controller issue (ignoring the wi-fi issue)?

Sounds like there's a source of interference near your PS5, are you hiding it behind the TV perhaps? 

14 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Sounds like there's a source of interference near your PS5, are you hiding it behind the TV perhaps? 

This is a pro tip especially for all those hiding the beast behind a TV. I had similar issues with my PS4 Pro totally obscured by the TV.

15 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Also, I think Spiderman has a controller bug where it all goes a bit weird and you loose control. So if you were playing that at the time, it could be the issue.

Are the people having these issues using the Rest feature? I was consistently having issues with my console that essentially vanished over night when I just started turning it off properly. Worth a shot if you are putting it in rest mode.

The first major system software update for the PS5 console is rolling out globally tomorrow, and it’s packed with new features and improvements. Our team is passionate about enhancing your experience on PlayStation in every possible way, so here’s a glimpse at what’s coming for PS5, PS4, and PlayStation App:

PS5 Storage Expansion and Management

Store PS5 Games on Compatible External USB Drives.*

With this feature, you can now transfer your PS5 games to USB extended storage from your console’s internal storage. It’s a great way to extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, and you can seamlessly copy your PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when you’re ready to play. It is faster to reinstall PS5 games from USB extended storage than to re-download or copy them from a disc.

Because PS5 games are designed to take advantage of the console’s ultra high-speed SSD, PS5 titles can’t be played from USB extended storage. PS5 titles also cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage. However, games that you transfer or copy back to internal storage will automatically update when applicable. In addition, you can select which game modes you want to install (such as campaign or multiplayer) for select titles that support the option.

For tips on using USB extended storage on PS5, including storage device requirements, please visit: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-extended-storage/.

As previously announced, the PS5 console will support storage expansion via M.2 drives in the future. We’re currently working on this feature and will keep you posted with any updates on PlayStation Blog.

New Social Features for PS4 and PS5 Consoles

Cross-generation Share Play.

PS4 and PS5 players can now Share Play together while chatting in parties. This means PS5 console users can let their friends on PS4 consoles view their game screen, or even try out the PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa. Options include the ability to share your screen with a friend, pass your controller virtually to a friend, or pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together.

Request to Join Game Session.

A selection of your friends’ joinable game sessions will now appear on both PS5 and PS4 consoles, allowing for more gameplay opportunities together. The “Request to Join” option also serves as a shortcut to sending a game invite, reducing the time it takes for you to get into games with friends. Through the Privacy Settings menu, you can modify who can interact with you through parties, games and messages.

Enhanced Control and Personalization Options for PS5 Consoles

Improved Game Base.

The Game Base menu has been improved for quicker access to important content and features. You can now easily switch between Parties and Friends to start chatting with your existing parties or see what each of your online friends is up to. In addition, you can turn notifications on or off for each of the parties you’re in.

Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume.

You can now quickly disable in-game chat, which turns off your mic audio and the voice audio of other players. Additionally, you can easily adjust the individual voice chat volume of other players in the same chat so you don’t have to ask your friends to lower or increase their mic volume each time.

Game Update Pre-download.

Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.

Customize Game Library.

With the ability to search your library or hide games from view, it’s now easier to find content and personalize your view of your game library.

Screen Zoom. You can now adjust the magnification of the screen to suit your preference from the Settings menu.

New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen.

The level of trophies that results in automatic capture of a screenshot or video clip can now be customized — so you can now choose to only capture and save images/videos of moments when you earn higher-grade trophies, like Gold or Platinum. We’re also introducing a new player Trophy Stats screen, where you can check out the summary of your trophy level and status at a glance.

New Features for PlayStation App

We’re also introducing a myriad of new features for PlayStation App to make it easier than ever to connect with your console experience remotely. Recently, we introduced the ability to save products in a wishlist, get notifications when your friends are online, and change your console online status. In the coming weeks, we’ll be rolling out even more, including the ability to join a multiplayer session on PS5 from the app, manage your PS5 console storage, compare trophy collections with friends, and sort and filter products shown in the PlayStation Store. You can download PlayStation App for free from Google Play and the App Store.

We’re only scratching the surface of the many updates and improvements we’ve made across PS5, PS4, and PS App, so check them out and let us know what you think!

*For external USB drive compatibility requirements, visit: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-extended-storage/.

Isn’t it a little bit weird that only certain high speed SSDs can be used to store PS5 games? 

It makes sense that there are requirements for playing games, but I don’t see why this should be the case for archiving, especially because HDDs offer significantly better value. 

What you can do with a formatted USB extended storage drive

• You can store PS5 games and PS4 games.
  • You can play PS4 games directly from USB extended storage, which lets you save space on your PS5 console storage for PS5 games. 
  • To play PS5 games, you need to copy game data from your USB extended storage drive back to your PS5 console's internal SSD storage. It’s much quicker to copy a PS5 game from USB extended storage than to re-download it.

If you want to use a USB extended storage drive that you were previously using with your PS4 console, simply connect it to your PS5 console. You'll be able to access any PS4 games on the drive.

USB extended storage requirements on PS5 consoles

• SuperSpeed USB 5 Gbps or later.
  • 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity.
  • Not all devices are guaranteed to work with the PS5 console.
  • You can't connect the drive through a USB hub.
  • Two or more USB extended storage drives can’t be connected at the same time. You can connect multiple USB drives to your console, but you can use only one at a time.

SuperSpeed USB connections supported on PS5 consoles

The following SuperSpeed USB connections are supported on PS5 consoles:

• SuperSpeed USB 5 Gbps (USB 3.0/USB 3.1 Gen1/USB 3.2 Gen1)
  • SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen2/USB 3.2 Gen2/USB 3.2 Gen1x2)
  • SuperSpeed USB 20 Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen2x2).