PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

33 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Do you have this problem?

I’ve been using a 4tb external passport drive with no issues (apart from the first couple of days where there were some hiccups)

I use rest mode a little bit too on days off, or if I pick up a guitar and the Ps5 shuts itself down eventually.

I do yes. If I put my PS5 in restmode it makes the dual sense pads useless until I do a full power down

19 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I just hope the UI will now finally remember my menu settings.

It doesn't. :seanr:

Extra heads-up: there's a controller update as well that'll require you to connect it to the console via USB-cable.

NL only: they did clean up some of the translations. E.G. 'Type' is no longer 'Lettertype', it is finally 'Genre'. Likewise, 'Afspelen' has been updated to 'Game spelen'.

Update looks like it's out for some at least. Reddit suggesting there's quite a lot of tweaks and improvements not in the Blog headlines (for example, ability to turn HDR off for non-HDR games automatically, extra options in the HDMI-CEC area, ability to do 120Hz on more screens.)

12 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I’m just going round in circles at the moment on whether to wait on PS5 certified drives. I agree 1TB is not huge and I’d prefer 2TB+ but that looks to be £250+. A 4TB normal drive is around £80 but I assume they’ll be a lot slower but maybe I can live with that for most PS4 games (they’re not all as bad as Wreckfest) but archiving of PS5 games is more of a concern. :doh:

I don’t think it’s worth getting the fastest ssd possible due to limitations of usb hence going bigger - I’m thinking more like this drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-BX500-CT2000BX500SSD1-Internal-NAND/dp/B07YD58MX9/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2tb+ssd&qid=1618393202&sr=8-4 with the adapter I’m using at the moment or the faster crucial drive - I’ve ruled out a mechanical drive mainly due to noise (not such a problem on PS5 I guess ;)) but the speed difference is noticeable.

Madness really as I will get the official expansion soon (I’m already juggling games between drives) and there aren’t any next gen games out yet really!

It nearly bricked my console. Just went to a white light with nothing on the screen and wouldn’t even go into safe mode when I did the update. Had to power down from the socket for it to eventually boot.

Samsung Q85R here with Hdmi 2.0 and I see 120hz is now supported. That’s cool but I’ll loose my current 4:4:4 chroma in 120hz and it’ll go down to 4:2:0, no biggies, the option is there at least.

Seems slightly snappier? More like launch day snappy?

Game base continues to be shit, they added in another button press of the shoulder button to see you friends online and they hide offline friends. Christ, I mean look at all that screen space, USE IT!

Handy icon showing the game is on a USB external drive.

If downloading and you go to you downloads in game base, pressing X on it now brings up the option to play/pause/cancel delete the download rather than just pressing X and it taking you to your queue. 

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Game base continues to be shit, they added in another button press of the shoulder button to see you friends online

Not saying it's perfect by any means but pressing R1 (or just press right) once is much better than having to scroll down past parties to get to the friends list. 

17 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Not saying it's perfect by any means but pressing R1 (or just press right) once is much better than having to scroll down past parties to get to the friends list. 

Why is the box so small and spaced out you only see like 3 names/parties in the first place. If most people are scrolling past parties why are they even there.

59 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Update looks like it's out for some at least. Reddit suggesting there's quite a lot of tweaks and improvements not in the Blog headlines (for example, ability to turn HDR off for non-HDR games automatically, extra options in the HDMI-CEC area, ability to do 120Hz on more screens.)

Actually the HDR thing is a really good addition - Not that I use CEC but I know some on here have had issues with the previous implementation so hopefully this update has fixed things.

I wonder what else lurks in the update - the dreaded drive spin would be a great addition (and simple) hopefully that's fixed too.

7 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Why is the box so small and spaced out you only see like 3 names/parties in the first place. If most people are scrolling past parties why are they even there.

Because they're all-in on the card design thing.

You're right that there's a lot of wasted space, especially considering it's designed for 4k so you could fit loads of small, sharp text in, and you're right that Parties and Friends should be two separate options.

"Game Base" is a misnomer too.

There's certainly a lack of customisation that would make everyone happier.

20 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I really don't get why they didn't just stick with the PS4 shortcut menu.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don’t think it’s worth getting the fastest ssd possible due to limitations of usb hence going bigger - I’m thinking more like this drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-BX500-CT2000BX500SSD1-Internal-NAND/dp/B07YD58MX9/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2tb+ssd&qid=1618393202&sr=8-4 with the adapter I’m using at the moment or the faster crucial drive - I’ve ruled out a mechanical drive mainly due to noise (not such a problem on PS5 I guess ;)) but the speed difference is noticeable.

Madness really as I will get the official expansion soon (I’m already juggling games between drives) and there aren’t any next gen games out yet really!

That’s a good price for a 2TB drive, it was briefly down to £124 but average seems to be £184. Can you recommend a caddy/adapter?

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

What's the point in rest mode when it only  downloads updates after the console has been switched back on?

It does download updates in rest mode?

Just now, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm sure it's supposed to, but it doesn't. System update downloaded after I switched it on.

Mine was already installed when I booted it up over lunch. Maybe it's just a case of a staggered rollout?

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I really don't get why they didn't just stick with the PS4 shortcut menu.

I believe going up and down is easier to navigate than going left and right. A menu that opens up on the side with a up down menu wouldn’t look as fancy but it would be far more functional.

I don’t expect it’ll change, they seem like they’re going to go deep with what they’ve created until they reach their end vision.

Maybe one day we will find out what the switcher thing is for.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm sure it's supposed to, but it doesn't. System update downloaded after I switched it on.

I found on the PS4 it downloaded updates overnight. So if you had switched your machine on tomorrow it would likely have downloaded

On 13/04/2021 at 16:07, scoobysi said:

I think that’s the same as XBOX isn’t it or can they download X games direct to USB? I suppose you have the option to archive another game first at least so you don’t have to always have free space, depends how quick it is to move the games. Does anyone (maybe with an XBOX) know how long it takes to move a 50GB game back and forth?

Just timed Control moving from external SSD to internal SSD and it was 2mins 4 secs for 44gb - my external SSD is a cheap no name one so prolly not the fastest but it flies!

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It does download updates in rest mode?

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

I found on the PS4 it downloaded updates overnight. So if you had switched your machine on tomorrow it would likely have downloaded

Neither of my PS4s ever downloaded game updates, system updates at 0300 sometimes - I turned my PS4 on after a few months of it being in rest mode and it needed a FW and no games had updated so at least it’s consistent in it failing to do what it’s supposed to!

Update done. Controller update too.

I went into something in settings "System Feature Updates" and it told me that I'd have to restart in order to use some new features but didn't elaborate on what those were.

17 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Just timed Control moving from external SSD to internal SSD and it was 2mins 4 secs for 44gb - my external SSD is a cheap no name one so prolly not the fastest but it flies!

That’s pretty fast compared to downloading :D.