IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

Straight to the tv. The game still carries on when the screen goes black, in Astrobot you can still hear the sounds from the controller. 

If it's not already in the first HDMI pirt, try plugging it in there. Or else just any of the other ones. And check the screen settings on your telly for things like overscan etcetera which might trip up the telly. 

3 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Straight to the tv. The game still carries on when the screen goes black, in Astrobot you can still hear the sounds from the controller. 

I have a high end Samsung I bought last year but the tv is a 2019 model.

I often have issues.

I personally have mine plugged into HDMI 4 because that’s a higher spec port.

Obviously you’ll be in game mode but make sure that input signal plus under external devices is turned on (on the TV)

Try disabling HDCP on the PlayStation.

Could easily be a shitty cable, make sure it’s in nice n tight

What’s your model number?

6 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I get a black screen for a second or so every now and then when I let it run in 4k.  I suspect this is due to my TV (a pretty entry-level Samsung from about 2017... ish), but am I missing anything obvious?  It still happens if I adjust the 4K Video Transfer Rate down to -2, but stops completely if I just give up and choose 1080p.  The TV reports it's displaying 4K at 60fps when I do chose 4k in the settings, and it seems fine apart from the black screens...  It happens with the cable from the box and a new (allegedly) HDMI 2.1 cable - this one.  Happily, I'm not sure I can actually tell the difference between 1080p and 4k from my sofa...

If your TV is that old and entry level, then HDMI 2.1 is irrelevant. What exact Samsung model is it? 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

If your TV is that old and entry level, then HDMI 2.1 is irrelevant. What exact Samsung model is it? 

It’s a UE50MU6120. Samsung product page. I’ve found it hard to find out the actual specs of its HDMI ports, but one of the tv database sites reported them as “2.0b”.

I’ve switched HDCP off as suggested by @Harrisown and haven’t had any black screens since, but have only played (shiny shiny) Control for about half an hour since.

On 21/05/2021 at 08:50, Loki said:

That's our Brian, he is a big lad :D

He is indeed, was going to say the same thing, your cat makes the PS5 look like a normal sized console. Maybe that's the solution Sony expects from us, get bigger pets ;)

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

It’s a UE50MU6120. Samsung product page. I’ve found it hard to find out the actual specs of its HDMI ports, but one of the tv database sites reported them as “2.0b”.

I’ve switched HDCP off as suggested by @Harrisown and haven’t had any black screens since, but have only played (shiny shiny) Control for about half an hour since.

It’s kinda hard to look in my phone and Samsung are one of those companies that just throw out manuals and you just have to hope that they are somewhat relevant to your device but…

95856752-7AE2-4BF1-9DA2-2DA7F1A19212.jpeg.b7e094eb990e83f770fd27bb31617c46.jpeg

When I mentioned Input Signal Plus for older TVs that setting is HDMI UHD colour.

unfortunately it’s not clear if your ports are all the same or if some are capable of more as in my case (120hz 444 chroma RGB on hdmi 4)

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

When I mentioned Input Signal Plus for older TVs that setting is HDMI UHD colour.

unfortunately it’s not clear if your ports are all the same or if some are capable of more as in my case (120hz 444 chroma RGB on hdmi 4)

Thanks for the info - where is it from, btw?

I’ve turned UHD colour off and back on - it certainly did something as the PS5 went back to the “Adjust Display Area” screen when I turned it off, and then straight back to the home screen when I turned it back on.

I’ve also moved it to port 1 (I only have 2 to play with - port 3 is the ARC capable port and goes to my soundbar), and turned HDCP back on. I’ll see how it goes.

(All the whole knowing I’m basically doing pointless stuff as I still don’t think I can tell the difference from my sofa 😀)

54 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Thanks for the info - where is it from, btw?

I’ve turned UHD colour off and back on - it certainly did something as the PS5 went back to the “Adjust Display Area” screen when I turned it off, and then straight back to the home screen when I turned it back on.

I’ve also moved it to port 1 (I only have 2 to play with - port 3 is the ARC capable port and goes to my soundbar), and turned HDCP back on. I’ll see how it goes.

(All the whole knowing I’m basically doing pointless stuff as I still don’t think I can tell the difference from my sofa 😀)

Well it depends what your playing really and you want to get the best you can out of what you have.

I think the UHD colour thing is about HDR mainly, I don’t know the ins and outs but it’s something about bandwidth and possibly 10bit colour etc 

Some people on the internet say their tv only supports it on one port so that’s something to look out for.

I got the info from the E manual on the product page.

7 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Well it depends what your playing really and you want to get the best you can out of what you have.

I think the UHD colour thing is about HDR mainly, I don’t know the ins and outs but it’s something about bandwidth and possibly 10bit colour etc 

Some people on the internet say their tv only supports it on one port so that’s something to look out for.

I got the info from the E manual on the product page.

Thanks - I have learnt about 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0... and I thought console gaming was supposed to be simple :)

Lunch break over.  Turning HDCP back on meant I got 5 black screens in a 25 minute blast of WRC9.  I turned it back off for 5 minutes and got no black screens in that time - not conclusive but I ran out of time.  I've never quite been convinced by this TV's HDR claims, so I'll experiment with those settings later.

(Oh and @Loki... thought you might like to learn that my tiny kitten is called Thor - you can probably guess what his brother's called...)

4 hours ago, Loki said:

Thanks to the brilliant @p1nseeker (who managed to buy one before the scalpers to sell on the forum for RRP), I am now part of the PS5 family!

Absolute legend ❤️

1665563739_BrianPS5.jpg.1bd7249a2f8ab162a2cdb362acd39b6e.jpg

Chonky boi :)

...and the cat....

@fretnoise I have a similarly aged samsung (mu6400) and had loads of black screen dropouts with PS4 Pro outputting 4K/HDR and same on PS5. Some sort of handshaking issue, I guess.

Weirdly, they got more frequent when my xbox one was plugged into the adjacent HDMI port and on rest mode. I have absolutely no idea why, but saw lots of random stuff online about various HDMI port issues with Samsungs from that era. 

I tried loads of different cables, messing with settings on the consoles/tv, turning HDCP off -- I could improve it, maybe, but nothing solved it properly.

Eventually I tried a random tip I read online: get an HDMI splitter box thing and run everything through that. And it solved it instantly, for the most part! I have no idea why or how, but it worked for me.

I no longer get any dropouts when playing games, although I do keep HDCP turned off. And when I turn HDCP on to watch a blu ray, there'll still be very occasional dropouts.

@StephenM Ooh - interesting!  It does "feel" like the same kind of delay you get when switching inputs, like it's forgotten it's getting a signal for a second and having to do the handshake again.  Maybe the splitter interferes with that somehow.  Don't suppose you have a link for the splitter you got?  There are millions...

Haven't really been looking at this thread, but is it just me who thinks it's an ugly, tacky lump?  Set mine up last night.  I hadn't really considered the Series X to be anything amazing, but comparatively it has a significantly higher build quality.  Don't get me started on the fact that I can't plug my controller in to update the firmware because the paltry 3 USB's are already in use for the external drive and PSVR...

20 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

@StephenM Ooh - interesting!  It does "feel" like the same kind of delay you get when switching inputs, like it's forgotten it's getting a signal for a second and having to do the handshake again.  Maybe the splitter interferes with that somehow.  Don't suppose you have a link for the splitter you got?  There are millions...

This is the one I got, but a pretty random choice tbh: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-Premium-5-Port-Switch-Remote/dp/B07CRWBPN4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=kinivo+550bn&qid=1621602611&sr=8-2