IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

5 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve seen Last of Us 2 is £23 on PSN. Reckon I’m at least a year away from getting a PS5 (stock here in Singapore is worse than in the U.K.)…. but still tempted to get this. Do Sony’s first party games tend to go much lower than this?

It was recently or still might be £9.99+£4.99 P&P @ GAME.

13 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve seen Last of Us 2 is £23 on PSN. Reckon I’m at least a year away from getting a PS5 (stock here in Singapore is worse than in the U.K.)…. but still tempted to get this. Do Sony’s first party games tend to go much lower than this?

You'll definitely get it cheaper in a year.

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

No, no, no. It's nothing like a Slim/hardware revision. This is more akin to swapping out two separate chips on the board because you can now consolidate them into one new chip that's functionally identical to both.

In the old days, this would be done every half a year or so and we would get slightly different serial/type numbers to keep track of consoles. But Sony would not mention anything as functionally nothing changed. This is the first of such changes for PS5, so don't get your hopes up about anything really. This is purely a cost-cutting measure on their side. Only when things go weird do you actually notice this: like with the 'new' Switch getting a different chipset because the old one was becoming so old it actually went up in price to produce. So Nintendo had to change to a new chipset, which gave it better battery life at the same time. But such 'reverse' improvements are very rare.

They'll keep improving things, until the internal guts can be actually shrunken down a few sizes to generate a smaller/Slim edition a few years down the road, with some of the cost-cutting being handed down to consumers by way of a lower RRP.

Yeah there are 2 "Models" of PS2.  Phat and Slim.

but actually there's at least 14 distinct "models" of those 2.

11 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

Any head phones will work, but they MUST be plugged into the pad.

I don't think that's entirely true. You can plug headphones into the pad, or via a USB dongle on the PS5 and I think either will work fine.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.

47 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't think that's entirely true. You can plug headphones into the pad, or via a USB dongle on the PS5 and I think either will work fine.

This is correct. The old Gold 2.0 headset works fine over USB transmitter too.

59 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It was my understanding that it works in that you get audio, like when you plug headphones into an amp, but it’s not the 3D audio.

I could very well be wrong. Time for a bit of research…..

If it’s like the PS4 OS, headphones are headphones, where they go through the pad or a USB port. But by the same token, anything on the HDMI port is assumed to be a TV, even if you have a pair of headphones plugged in to that TV.

I tried Returnal comparing 3D to non-3D audio and there is quite a noticeable difference. Also tried Subnautica Below Zero and there I couldn't make much differentiation so wil continue using the TV for that. Will give Resi 8 a shot soon. Definitely seems like the devs have to properly incorporate it for it to be worth it, the automatic conversion doesn't seem to do much except kill your bass if you are doing it via the controller.

My DualSense Charging Station unexpectedly turned up from Amazon today, with the added bonus of using the same power adapter as the old one, meaning it could just quietly replace the PS4 version without me having to venture behind the cabinet to sort out cables - win :)

(and with 2 boys also using the PS5, having a distinct place for the controllers to live means I have half a chance of finding one when I get time to play…)

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Well thanks to @Lorfarius now have a PS5! I has more than happy to pay the £50 over the RRP for this. Just to also give a big shout out to @Lorfarius who has donated half of the proceeds to @Haribokart's fund! :) Awesome! More than happy for the monies to go to a good cause whilst I get to enjoy a PS5!

Not had much time to tinker yet - set it up had a quick play of Returnal. Like the controller and the triggers. Never really liked the look of the console since its reveal but its just a bit of hardware I can tuck away so not overly bothered. Have to say its a very bold design though and bigger than I expected in the flesh. It's also quiet with no whine... so all good this far!

Downloading Astros playroom. Have some content on my PS account that I will download and work though.

As I also have a Series X I have decided to sell this to a mate who is mostly bedbound due to illness so he'll really appreciate it. Doing it at cost (he was looking at paying £550!). So hopefully he'll be over the moon with it. Still have my PC for GamePass which should be good enough for most titles (somewhere around a Series S in power - perhaps a little more) so should play all first party stuff reasonably well until I can actually gets bits at a sensible price to upgrade it!

Anyhow... no pet picture yet... as well... we don't have one here so I will find a suitable alternative when I get around to it.

Impressed so far. Looking forward to tinkering with Astro, Returnal and playing The Last Guardian hopefully this has improved with more powerful hardware found it a bit framey at times on a base PS4 - part of the reason I stopped playing a while back so looking forward to picking this back up! :) 

Haha wut. haven’t you spent the last 6 months going on about how you’re not interested in a PS5 and how good the Series X is?

(not having a go or anything, just a bit of a 180)

Anyone know what this is or how to fix it? 

I assumed fan, I’ve tried taking it out and checking it; seems ok, no debris or anything in there. 

Doesn’t always do it but Christ it’s annoying. This is whilst downloading in standby, it’s worse sometimes when gaming. 

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Haha wut. haven’t you spend the last 6 months going on about how you’re not interested in a PS5 and how good the Series X is?

Aye the Series X is a fine machine indeed but have a PC too. And although it won't run things at 4K or even 1440p most of the time it runs pretty much everything at 1080p@60fps fine! And GamePass (with EA Play) gives a great selection games I can play. So it will get upgraded as soon as PC components get back to more reasonable prices. The X was an experiment more than anything to benchmark my current PC. Decided it was good enough for what I need! So decided I don't actually need it and while I can get back what I paid for it good time to move it on. Especially to a friend who is looking for one.

PS5 is for Sony exclusives and well just like to tinker with new gaming tech. The PS5 pad and Astrobot has always intrigued me! :)

So essentially still have a more flexible Xbox in the PC (great for VR, GamePass and Steam) and a console too. And my mate gets his Xbox Series X. All good.

Sometimes you just got to play with all the options before making any decisions! :) Looking forward to tinkering with the PS5!

Anyway had some drinkies tonight and don't know why I'm trying to justify or explain my decisions.... I love tech and messing around especially with new new gaming tech. Ergo PS5 was always on the radar at some point. Just had an opportunity earlier than expected with benefits for other people too!

Anyhow Returnal is fun so far! :)

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Aye the Series X is a fine machine indeed but have a PC too. And although it won't run things at 4K or even 1440p most of the time it runs pretty much everything at 1080p@60fps fine! And GamePass (with EA Play) gives a great selection games I can play. So it will get upgraded as soon as PC components get back to more reasonable prices. The X was an experiment more than anything to benchmark my current PC. Decided it was good enough for what I need! So decided I don't actually need it and while I can get back what I paid for it good time to move it on. Especially to a friend who is looking for one.

PS5 is for Sony exclusives and well just like to tinker with new gaming tech. The PS5 pad and Astrobot has always intrigued me! :)

So essentially still have a more flexible Xbox in the PC (great for VR, GamePass and Steam) and a console too. And my mate gets his Xbox Series X. All good.

Sometimes you just got to play with all the options before making any decisions! :) Looking forward to tinkering with the PS5!

Anyway had some drinkies tonight and don't know why I'm trying to justify or explain my decisions.... I love tech and messing around especially with new new gaming tech. Ergo PS5 was always on the radar at some point. Just had an opportunity earlier than expected with benefits for other people too!

Anyhow Returnal is fun so far! :)

Yeah sorry man I did edit my post just to say I wasn’t having a go or anything, was just curious at the about-turn.

Fair play. I appreciate a good plan when it comes to figuring out the ideal setup.