Jump to content
IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah sorry man I did edit my post just to say I wasn’t having a go or anything, was just curious at the about-turn.
 

Fair play. I appreciate a good plan when it comes to figuring out the ideal setup. 

 

 

:D No worries.... My post could have done with a TDLR :D Just got back from a few drinks and did a brain dump... Almost therapeutic for me.... Had to go through the same process with the missus.... Who doesn't get having multiple gameboxes at all!!! 

 

Anyway I don't have a "side" don't do console warz stuff just love gaming tech so keep swapping around kit a fair bit. Think I have the optimal setup though at the moment. Also the misses sees the PC as a tool rather than just a gaming box which is kind of good..... :)

 

So onto the good stuff I missed. Noticed Ghost of Tsushima is in the summer sale in the store. Love the look of that and one that I didn't get to play on the PS4 whilst I had it. Which is great as its new to me and I get to experience it at its best.

 

Anyhow great console so far managed some Astrobot last night for an hour or so and :wub: great way to demo of the new controller tech. Looking to playing that when I am less intoxicated :D

 

Getting used to the size and look of the console a bit now.... It's an odd looking thing. It would look great in an art museum or something where people would be discussing it's form and subtle design cues etc. :) It will be interesting to see where Sony take the design with the inevitable slim version. Wonder if they'll go with something a bit more conventional :)

 

TDLR Impressed so far and happy I have a PC and PS5! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MattKB said:

Anyone know what this is or how to fix it? 
 


I assumed fan, I’ve tried taking it out and checking it; seems ok, no debris or anything in there. 


Doesn’t always do it but Christ it’s annoying. This is whilst downloading in standby, it’s worse sometimes when gaming. 

Try standing it up vertically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MattKB Is the stand correctly attached?

 

Maybe vibration not being properly dampened?

 

I need a new unit for my AV stuff (old Lack bench looking very tired) made of solid wood as, after some testing, my PS5 is louder when on the current bench than when I put it on a different unit in the house made from solid wood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep stand is attached properly. Can’t figure out what the hell is causing it. Will try it vertically and see what happens. It’s definitely reduced since I took the fan out but randomly sounds like old school hard drive writing or disc drive noise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

If anyone wants a new official dual sense charging station at cost plus £2.79 for postage let me know. Had one I forgot about on back order for months and it's just turned up.

PMed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

Yep stand is attached properly. Can’t figure out what the hell is causing it. Will try it vertically and see what happens. It’s definitely reduced since I took the fan out but randomly sounds like old school hard drive writing or disc drive noise. 


I would probably just go through every YouTube video about weird PS5 noises until you find one similar, or just try the various fixes (ones which don’t invalidate warranty) and see if any help. 
 

It kind of sounds like a sticker/wire or something is getting repeatedly whacked by the fan. Any possibility of that?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well just had an hour or so on Astrobot. Impressive stuff! The controller feels great and really does add an extra dimension to the proceedings. Just brings you into the experience more so you feel a bit more connected to what you are playing on screen.

 

I hope this gets well implemented in games going forward. It could make for really interesting experiences. I can imagine some puzzles in things like Uncharted being more involving as the feedback can be used as a que when trying to solve them etc.

 

Awesome stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I want a block moving puzzle game that uses the triggers for push and pull with more resistance the heavier the blocks are.

Indeed these give so much opportunity to add another layer into the experience. Hard to quantify until you are holding the controller in your hand and playing something like Astrobot to demonstrate its potential. Returnal also uses it well. 3D audio in that is great too. Very creepy with headphones.

 

I must admit I went in very skeptical writing it off as a bit of a gimmick but it's really impressive. Takes a lot to impress me these days too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:


I would probably just go through every YouTube video about weird PS5 noises until you find one similar, or just try the various fixes (ones which don’t invalidate warranty) and see if any help. 
 

It kind of sounds like a sticker/wire or something is getting repeatedly whacked by the fan. Any possibility of that?

 

 


I didn’t see anything like that. Whether it was and taking the fan out has ‘fixed’ it, I don’t know. Haven’t really got masses to play on it at the moment but so far, seems better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking of rumble, I posted a little while back about my right trigger on my PS5 controller being borked. Turns out its been mostly fine since and I finally realised what the problem is. Subnautica Below Zero PS5 edition uses the adaptive trigger tech and the flashlight, which you get early on, can be turned on and off. It seems they really showcased the trigger's ability because the trigger actually audibly clicks with a lot of resistance when you switch the light on and off. This was what made me think my trigger was broken! You don't need to use the triggers for much in the game except flicking lights on and off so I didn't have anything else to compare it to. That's pretty crazy, I guess I just picked the wrong game to start with on my PS5!

 

The drill you get for mining minerals in Subnautica also uses the trigger resistance to good effect, the reistance effect hashly judders which feels very realistic, but I quickly turned off the adapative triggers in the settings because A: it was terrible for my hands and B: I was worried I was causing the controller undue stress due to the noise it was making and the extended time it takes when mining.

 

22 hours ago, MattyP said:

Well just had an hour or so on Astrobot. Impressive stuff! The controller feels great and really does add an extra dimension to the proceedings. Just brings you into the experience more so you feel a bit more connected to what you are playing on screen.

 

I hope this gets well implemented in games going forward. It could make for really interesting experiences. I can imagine some puzzles in things like Uncharted being more involving as the feedback can be used as a que when trying to solve them etc.

 

Awesome stuff. 

 

I'd like to see lockpicking mini games using the directional rumble and trigger resistance to let you 'feel out' the direction and pressure to apply. The only problem I can see with this, is that usually rumble can't be relied on alone for accessibility reasons so they might need some visual representation they can turn on if you turn rumble off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

My critter shot! We don't have live pets so well somewhat controversial heres my little Yoshi! :)

 

He's my good luck charm had him on my desk during my interview for the job I now have and got it. My other half did the same too so there is something in that little fella.

 

Silly I know....but then lots of things don't make sense in this crazy world..... :D

PXL_20210531_083223545.jpg

 

image.png.f968e82177a05adb39de962c30e4560f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a weird thing for Microsoft to chase an exclusivity deal on. By the time Dolby Vision games arrive in any significant numbers,* the deal will be practically over, and having exclusivity on the format for streaming services doesn't seem like a great differentiator.

 

I doubt Sony's going to lose much sleep over Atmos for headphones either.

 

*I'm sceptical about Dolby Vision's relevance for interactive content of course. Are developers really going to want to pay for the privilege of licencing the technology and putting in a bunch of extra work when they're going to have to implement HGIG for non-Dolby sets and platforms anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It's a weird thing for Microsoft to chase an exclusivity deal on. By the time Dolby Vision games arrive in any significant numbers,* the deal will be practically over, and having exclusivity on the format for streaming services doesn't seem like a great differentiator.

 

I doubt Sony's going to lose much sleep over Atmos for headphones either.

 

*I'm sceptical about Dolby Vision's relevance for interactive content of course. Are developers really going to want to pay for the privilege of licencing the technology and putting in a bunch of extra work when they're going to have to implement HGIG for non-Dolby sets and platforms anyway?

Yeah, it's an odd choice, I would have preferred to have it for UHD Disc playback on PS5 and would have paid for it too. I'm some way off getting a Series X so I guess I'll be waiting either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah, it's an odd choice, I would have preferred to have it for UHD Disc playback on PS5 and would have paid for it too. I'm some way off getting a Series X so I guess I'll be waiting either way.

This. When I bought the disc version of the PS5, it was purely for the 4k UHD playback in the hope that it would output Dolby Vision. I was very disappointed to find it wasn't supported, and now that this news is out I find it really shitty that this little fact was basically kept hidden by the whole industry. Still, perhaps the PS5 will get 4k UHD DV in a firmware update when available.

 

Just now, Super Craig said:

The Series X doesn't have Dolby Vision for UHD either. Very strange.

:lol: That is classic MS. If the HDR on their "Series" consoles is the same as their "One" range then it won't be all that anyway. I never rated the HDR on my Xbox One X. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Super Craig said:

 

You don't pay for Dolby Vision. On the Xbox One X and Series X, Dolby Vision isn't supported on UHD discs. Supposedly works fine in streaming apps though.

Ohhh kay, thought you had to pay a premium for DV and DA guess I miss interpreted something along the way... Not that it matters as a) I have a TV with DV and DA certification so all my streaming services already support it via the TVs native apps. Not supporting it on UHD Disc playback is a missed opportunity though especially when you are paying for exclusivity. Ah well, one less reason to get a Series X then. Halo Infinite is going to have to be unmissable then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried out the 3D audio in Demon Souls and Resident Evil Village yesterday. Honestly for both of them I couldn't really tell a difference compared to just plugging into my TV. Let me know if any of you have tried the 3D audio in these and had a noticeable improvement, maybe I just chose to test it out in the wrong areas. Resident Evil makes sense as its multi-format and even has a PS4 version, but I'm surprised Demon Souls doesn't seem to have much 3D audio work done on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I tried out the 3D audio in Demon Souls and Resident Evil Village yesterday. Honestly for both of them I couldn't really tell a difference compared to just plugging into my TV. Let me know if any of you have tried the 3D audio in these and had a noticeable improvement, maybe I just chose to test it out in the wrong areas. Resident Evil makes sense as its multi-format and even has a PS4 version, but I'm surprised Demon Souls doesn't seem to have much 3D audio work done on it.

I don't think it's supposed to work with TV speakers yet - it only works with headphones (any, plugged in via USB or into the controller). Returnal has great 3D audio and I think Astrobot has as well but it's been a while since I played that. Chuck any old set of earphones or headphones into the controller and see if you can sense spatial audio in those two games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

I don't think it's supposed to work with TV speakers yet - it only works with headphones (any, plugged in via USB or into the controller). Returnal has great 3D audio and I think Astrobot has as well but it's been a while since I played that. Chuck any old set of earphones or headphones into the controller and see if you can sense spatial audio in those two games.

 

I probably didnt make it clear enough: I've been listening comparing earphones plugged into the controller vs the same earphones plugged into the TV (not at the same time). In Returnal the difference is night and day but the other games I listed so far show little to no difference when using the controllers 3d audio. Hopefully in time non first party devs will start doing audio passes on their games specifically for PS5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

 

I probably didnt make it clear enough: I've been listening comparing earphones plugged into the controller vs the same earphones plugged into the TV (not at the same time). In Returnal the difference is night and day but the other games I listed so far show little to no difference when using the controllers 3d audio. Hopefully in time non first party devs will start doing audio passes on their games specifically for PS5.

It sounds like Returnal and Resi 8 have the biggest noticeable use of 3D audio and they’re both very recent releases, so hopefully it’s the start of a trend that points to devs getting better at it now they’ve had some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.