PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Talking of rumble, I posted a little while back about my right trigger on my PS5 controller being borked. Turns out its been mostly fine since and I finally realised what the problem is. Subnautica Below Zero PS5 edition uses the adaptive trigger tech and the flashlight, which you get early on, can be turned on and off. It seems they really showcased the trigger's ability because the trigger actually audibly clicks with a lot of resistance when you switch the light on and off. This was what made me think my trigger was broken! You don't need to use the triggers for much in the game except flicking lights on and off so I didn't have anything else to compare it to. That's pretty crazy, I guess I just picked the wrong game to start with on my PS5!

The drill you get for mining minerals in Subnautica also uses the trigger resistance to good effect, the reistance effect hashly judders which feels very realistic, but I quickly turned off the adapative triggers in the settings because A: it was terrible for my hands and B: I was worried I was causing the controller undue stress due to the noise it was making and the extended time it takes when mining.

22 hours ago, MattyP said:

Well just had an hour or so on Astrobot. Impressive stuff! The controller feels great and really does add an extra dimension to the proceedings. Just brings you into the experience more so you feel a bit more connected to what you are playing on screen.

I hope this gets well implemented in games going forward. It could make for really interesting experiences. I can imagine some puzzles in things like Uncharted being more involving as the feedback can be used as a que when trying to solve them etc.

Awesome stuff. 

I'd like to see lockpicking mini games using the directional rumble and trigger resistance to let you 'feel out' the direction and pressure to apply. The only problem I can see with this, is that usually rumble can't be relied on alone for accessibility reasons so they might need some visual representation they can turn on if you turn rumble off.

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

My critter shot! We don't have live pets so well somewhat controversial heres my little Yoshi! :)

He's my good luck charm had him on my desk during my interview for the job I now have and got it. My other half did the same too so there is something in that little fella.

Silly I know....but then lots of things don't make sense in this crazy world..... :D

PXL_20210531_083223545.jpg

image.png.f968e82177a05adb39de962c30e4560f.png

It's a weird thing for Microsoft to chase an exclusivity deal on. By the time Dolby Vision games arrive in any significant numbers,* the deal will be practically over, and having exclusivity on the format for streaming services doesn't seem like a great differentiator.

I doubt Sony's going to lose much sleep over Atmos for headphones either.

*I'm sceptical about Dolby Vision's relevance for interactive content of course. Are developers really going to want to pay for the privilege of licencing the technology and putting in a bunch of extra work when they're going to have to implement HGIG for non-Dolby sets and platforms anyway?

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It's a weird thing for Microsoft to chase an exclusivity deal on. By the time Dolby Vision games arrive in any significant numbers,* the deal will be practically over, and having exclusivity on the format for streaming services doesn't seem like a great differentiator.

I doubt Sony's going to lose much sleep over Atmos for headphones either.

*I'm sceptical about Dolby Vision's relevance for interactive content of course. Are developers really going to want to pay for the privilege of licencing the technology and putting in a bunch of extra work when they're going to have to implement HGIG for non-Dolby sets and platforms anyway?

Yeah, it's an odd choice, I would have preferred to have it for UHD Disc playback on PS5 and would have paid for it too. I'm some way off getting a Series X so I guess I'll be waiting either way.

9 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Yeah, it's an odd choice, I would have preferred to have it for UHD Disc playback on PS5 and would have paid for it too. I'm some way off getting a Series X so I guess I'll be waiting either way.

This. When I bought the disc version of the PS5, it was purely for the 4k UHD playback in the hope that it would output Dolby Vision. I was very disappointed to find it wasn't supported, and now that this news is out I find it really shitty that this little fact was basically kept hidden by the whole industry. Still, perhaps the PS5 will get 4k UHD DV in a firmware update when available.

Just now, Super Craig said:

The Series X doesn't have Dolby Vision for UHD either. Very strange.

:lol: That is classic MS. If the HDR on their "Series" consoles is the same as their "One" range then it won't be all that anyway. I never rated the HDR on my Xbox One X. 

Just now, Quexex said:

Wait, what, even if you pay for it?

You don't pay for Dolby Vision. On the Xbox One X and Series X, Dolby Vision isn't supported on UHD discs. Supposedly works fine in streaming apps though.

Just now, Super Craig said:

You don't pay for Dolby Vision. On the Xbox One X and Series X, Dolby Vision isn't supported on UHD discs. Supposedly works fine in streaming apps though.

Ohhh kay, thought you had to pay a premium for DV and DA guess I miss interpreted something along the way... Not that it matters as a) I have a TV with DV and DA certification so all my streaming services already support it via the TVs native apps. Not supporting it on UHD Disc playback is a missed opportunity though especially when you are paying for exclusivity. Ah well, one less reason to get a Series X then. Halo Infinite is going to have to be unmissable then.

I tried out the 3D audio in Demon Souls and Resident Evil Village yesterday. Honestly for both of them I couldn't really tell a difference compared to just plugging into my TV. Let me know if any of you have tried the 3D audio in these and had a noticeable improvement, maybe I just chose to test it out in the wrong areas. Resident Evil makes sense as its multi-format and even has a PS4 version, but I'm surprised Demon Souls doesn't seem to have much 3D audio work done on it.

51 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I tried out the 3D audio in Demon Souls and Resident Evil Village yesterday. Honestly for both of them I couldn't really tell a difference compared to just plugging into my TV. Let me know if any of you have tried the 3D audio in these and had a noticeable improvement, maybe I just chose to test it out in the wrong areas. Resident Evil makes sense as its multi-format and even has a PS4 version, but I'm surprised Demon Souls doesn't seem to have much 3D audio work done on it.

I don't think it's supposed to work with TV speakers yet - it only works with headphones (any, plugged in via USB or into the controller). Returnal has great 3D audio and I think Astrobot has as well but it's been a while since I played that. Chuck any old set of earphones or headphones into the controller and see if you can sense spatial audio in those two games.

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

I don't think it's supposed to work with TV speakers yet - it only works with headphones (any, plugged in via USB or into the controller). Returnal has great 3D audio and I think Astrobot has as well but it's been a while since I played that. Chuck any old set of earphones or headphones into the controller and see if you can sense spatial audio in those two games.

I probably didnt make it clear enough: I've been listening comparing earphones plugged into the controller vs the same earphones plugged into the TV (not at the same time). In Returnal the difference is night and day but the other games I listed so far show little to no difference when using the controllers 3d audio. Hopefully in time non first party devs will start doing audio passes on their games specifically for PS5.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I probably didnt make it clear enough: I've been listening comparing earphones plugged into the controller vs the same earphones plugged into the TV (not at the same time). In Returnal the difference is night and day but the other games I listed so far show little to no difference when using the controllers 3d audio. Hopefully in time non first party devs will start doing audio passes on their games specifically for PS5.

It sounds like Returnal and Resi 8 have the biggest noticeable use of 3D audio and they’re both very recent releases, so hopefully it’s the start of a trend that points to devs getting better at it now they’ve had some time.

13 hours ago, SeanR said:

I just posted a £33 PSN link in bargains...

im so glad I did this:

because Sony’s mask slipped:

A15AC0B9-F99C-4417-A137-03168AC53B4D.thumb.jpeg.6bee91f6552736367ebf068253a6bc29.jpeg

for the payers...

Just now, Hylian said:

Presumably if I get this I can still use the code in 6 months or so when mine runs out? 

You can, or you can just add it to your account now and it will add 12 months to the end of your existing sub. 

Just now, Hylian said:

Presumably if I get this I can still use the code in 6 months or so when mine runs out? 

There's two codes going around, the 'Days of Play' one needs to be redeemed in the next few days otherwise it'll expire (I know ShopTo are selling this one). Just buy and redeem now, it'll stack. 

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

im so glad I did this:

because Sony’s mask slipped:

A15AC0B9-F99C-4417-A137-03168AC53B4D.thumb.jpeg.6bee91f6552736367ebf068253a6bc29.jpeg

for the payers...

Fucking hell if they're planning on hiking to £70! Unless PSNow is going to be folded in.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Can't find the tweet so probably fake.

I, uh, took the screenshot myself?

so did others?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0ba7666c4d8bfb9a33b95e4c031c74ee.png

Imma say “not fake”. Imma say hastily deleted while retailers clear old stock?

Does anyone know the opening times for contacting sony??,i want to get my pad sent off before i go on holiday and ive tried them 4 times now on different days:(

10am on a wednesday should be a normal opening time right??? 

It shouldn't be this hard to get in touch

On 31/05/2021 at 12:30, BubbleFish said:

Late to the party but just got my PS5.

It's very, very nice! I'm fortunate enough to have a Series X too and the one thing that immediately struck me with the PS5 was how it was fun and new. The XBOX is great but literally a black box. The PS5 reminds me more of a traditional games console. Both are good approaches but for now I'm loving the PS5.

Oh and Astrobot's Playroom is wonderful. So many fantastic touches and homages to games. Too many to mention but the GPU theme song stands out. 

This totally sums up how I feel too! They're both very nice, but the PS5 does have more of that "new toy" console type feel to it. I love it.